The Real Walter Sharpe

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

For those of you who had doubts about Mr. Sharpe, check out this article.

We may indeed have a very good player on our hand.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Sharpe's stock soared as NBA draft neared

The Pistons traded down three spots and out of the first round to draft Walter Sharpe. If the NBA draft had been this week instead of last, chances are they would have had to trade up to get him. That’s how quickly the stock of perhaps the biggest surprise of NBA draft ’08 was rising.

“As of the first of June, all he had been doing for months was trying to get eligible” to come back and play at Alabama-Birmingham as a senior, Sharpe’s agent, Danny Servick, told me. “He had not been training. He was doing classroom work. He was 252, 253 pounds at that point. It was like, could I even get a workout with anybody? When he worked out for the Pistons (last Tuesday and Wednesday), he was 232 pounds. That shows you how quickly he got going.”

Sharpe’s workout schedule got crowded pretty quickly in the three weeks leading up to the draft. The Celtics, fresh off their first NBA title in 21 years, tried to get him in on the morning of the draft. Sharpe wound up working out for eight teams and in most of those workouts, he was going up against a group consisting of some or all of Darrell Arthur of Kansas, Anthony Randolph of LSU and Donte Green of Syracuse – all first-rounders that many had pegged going in the lottery.

“I would say, at a minimum, he held his own against all of those guys – at a minimum,” Servick said. “When he worked out for the Pistons, I think they had Jason Thompson, who went 12th; J.J. Hickson, I believe, who went 19th; and J.R. Giddens, who went 30th. The second workout (with the Pistons) was Serge Ibaka and Nathan Jawai. I think it’s safe to draw assumptions about what the Pistons saw.”

Servick said that when news began spreading on the NBA grapevine that the Pistons had held Sharpe over for a second day of workouts, everybody’s eyebrows arched a little higher.

“When people found out he spent two days in Detroit right before the draft, everybody kind of follows the Pistons as validation of guys,” he said. “The Celtics tried to get him in the day of the draft. The Lakers squeezed in a workout. Teams were scrambling.

“He’s just one of those special talents. When people saw him at all the workouts, they were like, ‘Wow.’ Everybody had somebody in the organization who was aware of him, but because there was so little to go on from only having played 18 games the last three years, there were others in the organization who’d say let’s move on to the next guy. We were joking on draft night that they had more footage of some guys from Russia or Eastern Europe and had nothing on Walter. It was funny watching (ESPN analyst) Jay Bilas stumble. It caught everybody completely off-guard.”

Servick said Sharpe put his name in the draft at the urging of UAB coach Mike Davis as a hedge against the possibility the NCAA would reject his appeal of its ruling him ineligible. The appeal was based on Sharpe’s diagnosis of narcolepsy, which he contended should qualify him for special consideration. But as the June 16 deadline approached for removing one’s name from the draft and Sharpe’s academic standing was still unresolved, he and Servick decided to stay in the draft.

Davis requested Servick come in as Sharpe’s agent. Though Servick, a Huntsville, Ala., resident, was well aware of Sharpe’s talents as an Alabama schoolboy, he was at first skeptical of representing him because of the red flags on Sharpe’s record – from his academic missteps at Mississippi State and UAB, to the disorderly conduct charges, since dismissed, against him for a nightclub incident, to being shot two years ago as an innocent bystander.

“I’d been very familiar with him as a talent,” Servick said. “Mike Davis is a friend of mine. He asked me to come down at the end of December. My initial reaction when he told me about Walter … he had a lot of problems going to class, he was shot. But when he told me the story about him as a person and he explained the whole story of his narcolepsy, that’s when I was like, wow. That was judging somebody before knowing him. You’re going to see, once you get around him and come to know Walter, he’s an incredibly likeable person and he’s thrilled to be coming to Detroit to play for coach (Michael) Curry and Joe Dumars and his whole organization.”

Servick said the Pistons are getting a highly skilled player who, had he been able to play a full college season, would have never been available to the Pistons at the top of the second round.

“He is a first-round talent and a lot of scouts told me that had he played more and more people been able to see him, he had lottery-type talent and potential. I think he’ll be a real surprise. You’re getting a 6-9, incredibly skilled player. Handling and passing are two of his greatest abilities. He’s athletic. He really knows the game.”

When Servick got the go-ahead from Sharpe and Davis just a little more than three weeks before the draft to start aggressively soliciting workouts from NBA teams, he wrote a letter to all NBA teams explaining the situation.

“I said he was essentially a first-round talent,” Servick said. “I really thought someone in the second round would take him, but I was just hoping he’d get drafted. I didn’t know what point that would be. But to find somebody at 6-9 with his skills and his athleticism, I just thought he was a steal. And that’s what it was.

“His workouts got better and better as he started getting in better shape. If there was another two weeks before the draft, there’s no telling where he would have gone. All these other guys he was going up against in his workouts had played a full season, the NCAA tournament and then immediately began training for the draft. A lot of guys put off their classwork to do that. He came right out of playing for a week or two, so when he’s going toe to toe against these guys, you kind of start scratching your head.”

By draft day, Servick had a pretty good sense Sharpe would be taken and hoped it would be the Pistons.

“I was hopeful Detroit would be interested in him,” he said. “I was hoping the Pistons would be the bookends for him (with their picks) at 29 and 59. I had a lot of teams calling me with picks in the middle of the second round saying they were trying to move up to get him, but you don’t ever know. I wasn’t sure. Walt really clicked with the whole staff when he was up there in his interviews – coach Curry and his whole staff, Mr. Dumars, Scott Perry, George David. He really felt comfortable.

“I was joking with Walt after the first day, he said this is where I would like to be and I said, ‘This isn’t like going to college – they have to pick you,’ ” Servick said. “In the end, I’m so happy it was the Pistons. Detroit’s got a history of success with Mr. Dumars taking guys that a lot of people thought were taken too high. Some thought (Rodney) Stuckey went too high and when Tayshaun (Prince) was selected or Amir (Johnson). All those guys were set up to have success.

“Once the public starts to see him, he won’t be such a secret any more. My hope is one day they’ll laugh about how they didn’t have any video of him on draft night.”

2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I remember Darko was also really good in workouts....

3. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I'm starting to come around to the idea of drafting this kid, if he has the talent we've heard about since the draft, then maybe we really do have a diamond in the rough.

Maybe the fact he is virtually a nobody (in Basketball sense), will inspire him to play out of his skin.

I'm not going to hold high expectations though, but it will be very interesting seeing how he pans out.

4. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I remember that too, but the opportunity cost of picking Darko at #2, ahead of Anthony, Bosh, and Wade in a loaded draft was extremely high. Taking a risk on Sharpe at #32 based on an impressive workout is a completely different thing. The probability that anyone picked after that will ever become an All-Star is practically zero. Seems like a smart gamble.

On thing that's odd about the article...Sharpe's agent says:
    It looks like this Servick guy is the one who been pushing this "18 games" number, which a lot of reporters took to mean he only played 18 games in his college career, as pointed out by Matt Watson at DBB.

5. armygirl

These statements kinda caught me by surprise to Lurker. Here I was thinking the guy had only played 18 games. Hard to believe he is a senior because the actual games he played were very scattered.

6. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

That does not show us the real Walter Sharpe at all.

It is a fluff piece.

But I hope he is all that he says he is.

Let the basketball do the talking. I'm still holding out judgment until we all see him play.

7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We shall soon see.

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

If Joe was that high on him he would have taken him @ 29, to lock him up at a low rate for 4 years.

BTW, has anyone heard what kind of jumpshot he's got? This collection of young players is going to struggle with a bunch of 15-foot and in guys.

The fact that he took 3 threes in his college career and missed all 3 don't bode well.

9. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I don't care for another jump shooter. I want someone who has the handles and the gonzo to take the ball to the rack when needed. Only Stuckey does that for us.

Even if he goes Jerry West on us, but has some semblance of ball-handling skills and a post game, I'd welcome him any day.

But hey, Jerry West was no slouch I think, so still holding out for the best.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's a good point. The college 3 point shot is not that far. Even big guys like Dyess are expected to knock them down at a high percentage in the NBA.

11. armygirl

I will see you guys in about 3 months or so raving about his athleticism and so on and so forth.

You guys are getting to be predictable and that's a scary thought.

12. armygirl

I am really pulling for Sharpe. Unfortunately everyone do not have the same tools to succeed as others based on numerous enviromental/social/economic variables.

I always like pulling for the underdog. Yes, he had some incidents in his life but so has all of us.

When my son was 17/18, he was picked up for tresspassing (a closed down mental hospital where he and his friends were trying to scare some girls), driving with bad tags (which incidentally he took off his friends abandoned car), speeding tickets.

He was young and that was 11 years ago. He is now a lawyer on Capital Hill.

A lot of things you chalk up to youthful exhuberance or youthful stupidity. You don't make judgements about someone who had some transgressions simply because we don't know the whole story.

So I think we should agree to agree on not judging this young man on his past behavior, instead judge him on his ability to play basketball the way it is supposed to be played and learn from the vets.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He wanted to stay humble and not show up his idol, Will Blalock. That shows a lot of class on his part.

14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

LoL....

but i bet he took all 3 of those shots as end of the half shots from mid court or the like.... as a back up/change of pace SF from prince who we complain stays outside all the time, sounds like a good thing he wants to take it to the basket all the time.

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

My understanding is that he played the 4. The pistons believe he has the tools to play 3.

16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

You are correct.
    Joe drafted him to be a '3'.

17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

In some of the film clips from draft night they showed him handling the ball and making passes.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

What the hell, I'm on the bandwagon . . .

i mean Jarvis Hayes, can he really be worse than that ?

(I reserve the right to move off the bandwagon if we get Posey, or at least only be on it 2 days a week)

19. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

I was looking for a little more on our guy Sharpe and came across the Rivals 2004 recruit rankings.

Sharpe is #44 and listed as a 4 star (out of 5) talent. What was interesting is who was also on the list.

Afflalo #26 5 stars.

Stuckey #131 3 stars.

Rivals.com Prospect Rankings

20. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick