The really sad thing - Fixing this team wouldn't be that hard

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Feb 10, 2014.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

Let those who have never considered defenestration break the first window.
    roscoe36 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It takes one to know one.
    Laimbrane and roscoe36 like this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Mogilny likes this.
  5. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Two things.

1) Regarding Barkley's comments--A dumb coach makes a lot of players look like idiots.

2) Honestly, there's a lot to work with here. And the East is HORRIBLE outside of Miami and Indiana. It WOULD be relatively simple to fix this squad.

.....a) See if Izzo's interested in moving to the pro's. State really is a sinking ship. Izzo's NEVER been able to develop talent. And he's no longer getting the 5-star studs he used to w/ the emergence of Michigan, Indiana and Kentucky (who gets A LOT of studs he used to) since his last final four. That joke Valentine is going to be his team's go-to scorer next season (Payne, Harris and Appling gone...no good recruits coming in). They'll be veerrrrry lucky to make the NCAA tournament (or hell, the NIT even; they're going to be really, really bad). He looks burned out as hell. The future doesn't look bright at all. NBA jobs are twice the pay and half the work. As far as him as an NBA coach is concerned, I think it'd work. Any NBA roster that genuinely CARES is probably good enough to be at least a 4 or 5 seed in the East, in today's friggin NBA. I think Izzo's team's would certainly care. Most of our guys are young and hungry enough to put up with his BS. I think he's respected enough, experienced enough, and has the people skills to deal with our veteran "stars".

.....b) He's not. Easy solution, Hollins. Fine.

.....c) Keep that top-8 pick.

.....d-?) Fix the log-jam. Trade Monroe for a pick high enough to get Marcus Smart. Draft Gary Harris with your own top-8 pick. Replace Monroe a second time by using his cap to sign top-30 player Rudy Gay.

.....h) Use the MLE/LLE/whatever's left to sign a reasonable backup center (I like Spencer Hawes but I'm in no way married to the idea).

Then you've got

C: A. Drummond, S. Hawes(?)
    PF: J. Smith, T. Mitchell, J. Jerebko
    SF: R. Gay, K. Singler, G. Datome
    SG: G. Harris, K. C-Pope
    PG: M. Smart, B. Jennings, W. Bynum
    HC: T. Izzo/L. Hollins

..Is that a great team? No. Is it the third best team in the East? Yes. Is it a start? Yes. Is it simple? Yes.
  6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm confused. In one moment you're saying Izzo can't develop talent, but in the next you hire him to coach a young team and then spend a top-10 pick on a player that he just spent several years [not] developing...
  7. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

What makes you think Brandon Jennings would like to be the bench player of a rookie?

Sorry Blue, I don't like that team. I write many times about how Gay is not good for anybody.

I'll give Izzo a chance if he wants to sit in our bloody coach's chair.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  8. blueadams

Compared to John Beilein, hell no he can't. Compared to Lionel Hollins/most candidates?? He's at least got more experience attempting to do it..

Gary Harris was a great talent in HS. He's still about the same level of player.
  9. blueadams

@#$% Brandon Jennings.

Got a better idea for how to fix the team?
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold on a minute there. Say what you will about MSU's current program, our any other thing. But there are very few college coaches who are better teachers of the game than Izzo. I personally don't think he'd take on this mess of a team we have. But, you can't ignore his ability to get more out of his players than they should be able to produce. He is one of the best college coaches out there. You're throwing mud his way to justify why he should make a career move that would align with your vision for the Pistons. Not cool.
    Nemo likes this.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What about Hollins as the HC and Izzo as the Director of Scouting?
  12. BillLaimbeer

Blue, you have Kyle Singler in your rotation. He is not an NBA player. You need to read the other threads. Your last 49 posts have all been in your own threads.
    Laimbrane likes this.
  13. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

See, it works out in the end because he gets rid of the coach that has a history of making his Wolverines look bad.
    Walter likes this.
  14. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

For now on, get a good GM and a good experienced coach to see if the problem this season was lack of attitude from the staff, from the players, or both.
    I'll try to get a coach who can get the juice out of this roster at the maximum.

Regarding players:
    My belief is that Smith, Drummond and Monroe can't coexist in this team just because Josh Smith is not a small forward. The new coach haveto play Josh Smith in the PF position all the time. Despite the fact that they can't coexist, I'll resign Monroe for no more than 9, 10M per year. Why? To check out who is more valuable for the new coach scheme. The one who is not giving good results, I'll trade him or give him the oportunity to bring energy from the bench when Drummond or the other starter are tired.

Bring some bench players from the free agency to fill the spots from expirings: CV, Bynum and Stuckey.

Plans can change, It's a "step-by-step" plan. It will take time.

I don't agree with you in that fixing this team wouldn't be that hard. It is not easy. It's not NBA 2kSports when it's time to make trades and signs.
  15. blueadams

So, your better plan is to.. 1) resign Monroe for less than market value (somehow); 2) to then trade someone for something, hopefully; 3) and to sign "some bench player(s)" in free agency.

Okay. Thanks.
  16. blueadams

He's been coaching for a long, long, long time. Bringing in 5-star recruits one after the other. Name his NBA players. His best ones of all time. His ones he developed out of nowhere. His ones who are still in the league. Go for it, dude.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Dude, all Izzo does is win Big Ten Championships, Final Fours, National Championships, National Coach of the Year awards, etc. The guy can flat-out coach. Anyone that understands basketball can see that.

[​IMG]
    linwood likes this.
  18. Walter

What BL said. Plus, the ability to recruit great players IS one of the biggest qualifications of being a college coach.
  19. Walter

The ones that are still in the NBA:
    Zach Randolph
    Jason Richardson
    Draymond Green
    Shannon Brown
    Alan Anderson

There are 16 NBA players that were drafted from MSU since Izzo took over in 1995. Some notable ones (played more than 200 games in the league) other than those listed above:
    Eric Snow
    Morris Peterson
    Charlie Bell

Here's his resume:
    2000 Championship
    2009 Finalist
    6 Final Fours (1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010)
    7 Big 10 Championships (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2012)
    16 Consecutive NCAA appearances
    Big 10 record for the longest home winning streak.
    4x COY award
    His overall coaching record is 461-183 (.716)

The guy is good.
    kpaav, S.J. and BillLaimbeer like this.
  20. BillLaimbeer

Way to go for it, dude!