The rebuilding plan is going down THIS season, not next

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 5, 2009.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

take a look at this excellent (the best that I have ever seen!!!) pistons blog - PISTONS: True Blue Pistons

#1) Instead of waiting for his 2010 free agent targets to hit the market next season, Joe Dumars is going to try and trade for them this summer - an excellent idea.

#2) There are two major needs - #1) an inside presence, and #2) an outside shooting presence.

#3) Might be as many as four new starters next season.

#4) Joe Dumars still thinks that Rodney Stuckey is the next coming of Dwayne Wade. Said that he needs to be off the ball more, but this does not mean that he doesn't see him as the starting point guard of the future. It just means that it's nice to have someone like willie bynum coming off the bench. Still though, we could be looking at a point-guard in the 1st round of this strong point guard draft class.

Inside-presence options:

Carlos Boozer (PO) - likely to opt out. High interest in Prince/Hamilton.

Chris Bosh (10') - likely to be in play this off-season. High interest in Prince/Hamilton. Prince and Maxiel makes sense.

Amare Stoudemire (10') - least likely to be in play this off-season, but he might be if the Suns are unable to move Shaquille O'Neal.

Tyson Chandler (10') - The Hornets might be looking to GIVE him away!

Charlie Villanueva - Bucks won't be able to resign him without dealing Jefferson or Redd.

Zaza Pachulia - Hawks might not be able to resign him.

Antwan Jamison - Wizards might look to dump salary...especially if they get a shot at Blake Griffin.

David Lee - Knicks are looking to strike big next summer.

3-point options:

Al Harrington (PO) - product of knicks system?

Mike Bibby - likely to return to Atlanta.

Ben Gordon - Hamilton has to be gone. Undersized, but Stuckey can guard two-guards. He might be too expensive.

Jamal Crawford (PO) - unlikely to opt out.

Nate Robinson - product of knicks system? Knicks are looking to strike big next summer.

Hedo Turkoglu (PO) - likely to opt out. Prince has to be gone. Less defensively, more offensively.

Eddie House (PO)

Wally Szczerbiak

Kyle Korver (PO)

Michael Redd (10') - Bucks are looking to dump salary.

Richard Jefferson (10') - Bucks are looking to dump salary.

Ramon Sessions - Bucks won't be able to resign him without dealing Jefferson or Redd.

Marvin Williams - Hawks are going to have trouble resigning him.

Josh Smith - Hawks might look to move him.

Caron Butler - Wizards might look to dump salary?

...to say the least, it's going to be an interesting/exciting off-season!!!

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Amare or Lee + Josh Smith would be slick.

Can J Smith play SF for us?

Just trying to imagine the shot blocking possibilities of

Stuck
    Hamilton
    Smith
    Amir/or Max
    Amare

3 guys to erase drives.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That blog is run by the Pistons and posted to by paid staff. They have a lot more access and funding than most fan blogs.

Personally, I still like DetroitBadBoys better.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Dumars is such an inarticulate dolt...

An example from the interview:

"I’m a fan of the 3-point shot. I like the 3-point shot. I like 3-point shooters. They affect the momentum of the game. They allow you to get back in games when you’re down. I just think it’s a huge weapon. I’m going to try to address that this summer. I’m going to try to bring some guys in that can knock down threes. That’s a weapon. I love the 3-point shot. I’m biased, but I love the 3-point shot. That’s definitely a weapon we need to get better at. Definitely.”

Look again. All he actually said was:

"I really like the three-point shot as a weapon because it can get you back in games. I plan to address that issue this summer."

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with his 1st, 2nd, and 4th points regarding him being a fan of the 3-point shot, him liking the 3-point shooting, and the effects of shooting 3-point shots.

Also I like his plan to bring more weapons into Detroit. Not sure how we can "get better at" weapons though.

6. jaredtyshaf

jaredtyshaf Second Round Draft Pick

I like the idea of trading RIP for the Wizards pick. RIP and and 2nd rounder or two for Haywood and Stevenson (expiring contracts) and their 1st rounder is realistic. We could then do a deal for Bosh/Amare or West to sure up our PF position. Hopefully we could draft Rubio with that pick and get a solid SF at 15 since Tay would certainly be included in any deal for the fore mentioned Bigs. We could also sign a SF like Odom or Marion stil and then resign SHeed and Dice for cheap if they would be interested.

PG: Rubio
    SG: Stuckey
    SF: Odom/Marion/Artest
    PF: Bosh/Amare/West
    C: Sheed

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

...but he sounds like a genius compared to Curry.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

These would be weaons of mass production...

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think Joe is inarticulate. I think he is very skilled with rhetoric. A lot of politicians do this. They can prattle on for 15 or 20 mins, and at the end of it all, when you read the transcript, they said very little substantive.

People love that stuff though. I listened to a 2 or 3 minute speech by a Senator on Youtube, and he contradicted himself twice and used one blatant fallacy, and the cheers at the end of his speech couldn't be louder.

That's why I prefer to read than to watch TV. I find it easier to parse meaning.

10. Darth Tater

I think you're right.

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The problem with people like you is that you focus on the content of a speech, look for ideas presented and try to find the logical reasoning behind it. You also have this deplorable habit of comprehending what you read. Life would be so much more peaceful without people like you stirring the pot, taking the happy out of decent citizens. Thank God that as a voting block, you are an ignorable minority.

12. Darth Tater

Yeah, those are the same reasons why I don't like him.

:gun1::gun1::gun1: [sign] All Cannuckians :canada:[/sign]

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

sorta on topic/off topic.... its all about the "look" and little about the "substance". I remember having a discussion in a history class about the nixon/kenneddy debates for president back in the early 60's, those that listened to it on radio thought that nixon won... while those that watched it on tv thought that kennedy won. just because of how bad nixon came across on camera's that night.

14. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally agree with you. He is an excellent salesman.....a true politician. Joe says what he thinks the fans want to hear. He knows that the fans are anxious and upset over the poor season and he is trying to calm the waters. Joe has been doing this for years.

15. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Nice post....concise and informative

Ramon Sessions, Marvin Williams..even Eddie House off the bench would help us in what were lacking...Will Bynum and Eddie House is nice back-up back court!

Josh Smith would be that player we could have had had we not traded our pick away for Rasheed to Atlanta...Not complaining.. Rasheed helped us in the championship run! Saying that Smith would be a nice steal..

Michael Redd is probably the best shooter availbale if Joe is as serious as he sounds in regards to acquiring a true threat on the perimeter.. Help the team that Made you John Hammond!!

Like the idea of giving Hamilton for their draft pick but that contradicts Washington's agenda of dumping salary and avoiding the luxury tax....Maybe they'll settle for the player they land in the draft and give us one of their top three...hopefully not Arenas..I would much rather have Jamison and Butler and in that order, if the Wizards are in cost cutting mode.

16. max

max All-Star

With Joe he has to put a good product out there so people will be willing to pay to see it. Its a business.

Yes sometimes he does go overboard trying to make himself look good which never made any sense to me. They are not making a dime now and we will see the results of whatever he puts together in 6 months. Then people will decide if its worth their time and money to watch.

With that said I do think a lot of what was in that article can happen. We are under the cap so that brings up a whole lot of options.

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I dunno. I am interested in how it will all shake out. We have more opportunities for change...more options. Guys we get will have the potential to do something good. And that will be worth it to root for and cheer on.

18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Nice roster. Joe may trade for someone not on the list using Tay or Rip or both.

Of those there, Boozer, Amare or Bosh would be a top signing. But the team would still lack one quality big.

I want Ben Gordon although it may mean losing Rip.

Some interest in Smith or Pachulia (the latter in combination with one of those top bigs).

But since Joe may need to get two bigs he may use the money AND trade either Tay or Rip so it is really hard to speculate and again, a trade is quite possible.

19. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Great list but in a way it's such a tease because the chances of landing some of these players aren't very likely.

20. Bender

Bender First Round Draft Pick

Let's say that Joe does make some really good sound moves, do you think that Curry will be able to utilize that talent correctly? Do you think Curry will still be around at the start of the season?