The Sheed effect

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 26, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There's not much to say about the results after the Sheed deal... pretty much instant success...

But why?

Could be his experience...

Can't forget his length and shot blocking instincts making the best big men work for their shots

He’s got a better than average outside shot... which stretches the "D"

Nice court vision... finding the open man instead of forcing up bad shots.

Communications... this was one of our weaknesses post Curry... we had talented players that just played the game according to the coach’s instructions... Sheed brought a new level of chat to the clubhouse and court... a certain cockiness...bringing to the team an air of confidence that's quite different than what we had pre Sheed....kind of a loosy goosy attitude that's great for the lockeroom... he helped them believe in their excellence...

Talent alone cannot aways provide the championship ingredience... you need the Sally and Rodman types to bring the right blend of personalities to go with the talent.

I'm starting to second guess myself in thinking that Darko or anyone else can bring the important intangibles that Sheed does for the team... he's very important to the identity of the team... without him we could take a step back.....

He's been an important mentor for DMC... he's learning about other things that make the team right, other than just the tight azzes like LB (although LB did have a lighter side)....

We’ll never know the true value of Sheed off the court... but ya gotta admit this wasn't exactly a confident team before he arrived.

My point on Sheed is there's more than just stats and how many points you score in the paint that matter.

Sheed?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree 100%. People criticize Sheed's stats and there is merit to that. He could be statistically close to Duncan or Garnett with his talent, but I truly believe he brings more defense and intangibles than any other PF in the L.

You can't teach intangibles. A player either has them, or he does not.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

No doubt.

I also concur. I would also like to add that when Rasheed is in the post the game becomes a lot easier for Rip who is then freed to roam and make cuts to the basket. Sheed gives the Pistons the ability to have a solid inside/out game that does not depend as much on Chauncey breaking the defense off the dribble and Rip looking to create his own shots (which is when he is the least effective in my book). Sheed in the post, Rip off the screen, pass to Rip, that's 2 points BABY!

Oh yeah and the front line of Sheed, Wallace and Tayshaun is just murder for the opposing team's offense. Now only if we could get more ball pressure.....

4. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

not to mention he's so damn funny.

he's one of those players you hate when you're on the other team, but love when he's one yours.

Sheed's crazy smile and hearing him yell "Ball don't lie!!!" is worth the price of admission

[​IMG]

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Mercury

I agree. I think you nailed it perfectly. :nod:

No Sheed = Pistons are good

Add Sheed = Pistons are excellent

Can't measure that or put a price tag on it.

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

He has turned out to have the exact opposite effect on this team that many (me) worried he would have. Before we went out and traded for Sheed almost nobody on the detnews forum had any respect for him. We all bought the media propaganda about what a bad guy he was and how he threw a ball at Ruben Boumtje Boumtje....it turns out that Ruben Boumtje Boumtje probably deserved it because Sheed has proven to be a good guy.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hey, maybe we could send Sheed down there (Patriots) to take out Boumtje Boumtje... this could help make room for Glynnie
    :laser::flame::crutch:

8. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Sheed is an incredibly talented player. Anyone ever remember watching him play the Lakers in 2002 on Portland? (I think it was?) He was incredible; his post moves were slick, his shot was on and you had to fear/respect his defence.

Now? He's still a great player, just hasn't taken that role that he had in Portland. I think if key players got injured (knock wood) on the Pistons, Sheed would step up his game and we'll do fine. I think everyone would look towards him (or Chauncey) to step it up first.

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Sheed provided the swagger that the Pistons needed to get over the hump. He provided that bravado. I think Sheed knows he messed up and possibly cost us the championship by leaving Horry open for that 3.

Sheed will step it up and have an All Star year. I think he is going to come in to camp in the best shape of his life.

10. iamme

Sheed hasn't been in All-Star form for some time now. i do hope he comes into training camp in much better shape than last season. does anyone else remember him coming into camp last season fat?

11. MotownPride

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with how he came into camp last year. Fat and winded. I hope he sets the tone this year early by coming into camp ready to play.

12. iamme

i haven't followed Sheed through his career, so i'm not sure how he usually comes into camp. i do hope that it was because he was celebrating from winning a title....

13. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Sheed

Here is an interesting stat. The Pistons are undefeated in playoffs when
    Sheed scores 20 plus points. He is the only piston no team can guard in the post. Without question he makes the Pistons championship caliber but because he is so reluctant to be that go to guy it stops them from being even better! I say trash that "reluctant superstar" personality and become that low post force we sadly need and those dreaded scoring droughts would end and pistons win the title again and again.:frusty:

14. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Stats

The problem with his stats have to do with efficiency and effort. Sheed has horrible shot selection, which aids in his poor FG%. He refuses to go hard to the basket, which means he rarely goes to the free throw line. Last year Sheed took 195 FTs, thats only like 2 a game. Now look at a perimeter oriented player like Nowitzki he took over 700 FTs. Fricken Chucky Atkins shot more FTs than Sheed. How often do you see Sheed take a hook shot or lay the ball in for an AND1? He can't because he is always at least 10 feet from the basket.

Sheed's value is how he compliments Big Ben. He takes a lot of pressure off of Ben defensively and on the glass. He is a great team mate and brings a confidence and swagger to the team. He is a very good defender, but offensively he is very average- although he could be much better.

15. basketbills

OK...let me make a list...League villain....check

Whines all the time to the refs...check

Team leader....check

Willing to play through injuries....check

Gets criticized for lack of post-up game...check

He is a winner...check

That list could be used for either Piston hero Bill Laimbeer or current Piston Rasheed Wallace..right. Did Laimbeer get as much crap from his own fans as Sheed gets??

16. MotownPride

ha..ha..

I think that if Bill would have came to camp fat, he would have definitely got an earfull from Zeke. You didn't want to P that dude off. Zeke doesn't play.

17. basketbills

Laimbeer never did a damn thing in the offseason. Never worked out or touched a basketball. He always said he didn't even particularly care for the game of basketball.

18. MotownPride

lol. I guessed you told me. :)

That's very suprising. Especially during a time where Detroit had to work so hard to get past the Celtics/Lakers. I've never heard Laimbeer described in that manner, but I guess I have to take your word for it.

19. basketbills

Motownpride the classic article on Laimbeer was the cover story they did...
    In this article it mentions..."Laimbeer now says basketball isn't that much fun, that it's just a job, that he doesn't even like the game. He doesn't touch a ball during the off-season, and Thomas, for one, acknowledges that: "Growing up, Bill didn't live and breathe basketball like most of us; I think he lived and breathed golf."

I could print the whole article but I can't link it because it's a subscription site.

20. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Second Round Draft Pick

I once read that Sheed was the type that hated lifting weights and that when he came here, people were saying that he would benefit with working with Arnie because Arnie could come up with other workouts that could build strength without the use of weights. Anyway, Sheed has to start hitting the gym and he has to start lifting again. Have you guys noticed that he seemed like he lost muscle tone in his body, it's almost like his body is atrophying and aging too soon. If he's gonna be worth his big contract, he has to be in the best shape he can be. I think as soon as he feels better and "more powerful" with his body, he'll be more confident at scoring and going at it in the paint. There are a lot of young strong cats coming in right now, if he wants to stay competetive he's got to keep in top shape.