The Sheed effect

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 26, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

okay.

So after reading the article...

Can't say that I agree that he didnt stay conditioned during the regular season as he is 4th all-time in consecutive games played. That level of endurance and reliability to me spells off-season conditioning. I will agree that he didn't eat, sleep, breath basketball..but that never stopped him from bustin' his @ss during the game and setting a high standard for any new talent that joined the franchise.

Obviously, his free throw shooting, field goal shooting, and 3 point shooting were not affected by his offseason training habits.
  2. MotownPride

Absolutely

Here's some other folks that could stand a couple trips to da gym this summer (in no intended order):

1. Rasheed Wallace
    2. Darko
    3. Yao Ming (from what I hear, thats just what he has done)
    4. Carmelo Anthony
    5. Jamal Crawford
    6. Jalen Rose
    7. Chris Webber (starting to look kinda tubby in Philly)
    8. Reggie Miller (I know he's retired, but hit da weights bruh'. Ya sister is bigger than you)
    9. Tractor Traylor
    10. Memo
  3. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Sheed's off-season

Yeah that bugged me last year alot. Sheed got a new contract yet he couldn't come to camp in decent shape. I remember hearing until X-MAS that Sheed was "still working into playing shape". Geez, it's your 12 million dollar per year job.

Out in Portland, Sheed was fined EVERY SINGLE OFF-SEASON because he refused to participate in the Blazer's mandatory off-season weight-lifting program. Not too good IMO. He is the highest paid Piston, I think the least the Pistons should expect is that he shows up to camp in tip-top shape.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Still wonder why we're picking on Sheed for not lifting weights...especialy since Laimbeer one of our Pistons heros never touched a weight in his life. What does that necessarily have to do with playing basketball? Why does Sheed fill the role of whipping boy for some of you guys?
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Exactly it was the trade for Sheed' that got this team to become champions not LB so Flip isn't going to make this team take a big step back maybe he'll get us better.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Sheed

The thing about Sheed is that he has skills and he has atleticism for a big man. The young guys coming into the league often lack one or both. Yes, he has become more of a defensive complement to Ben than an offensive force in his own right and that can be corrected. I think he still has it offensively. He definitely needs to be used more on offense.
  7. MotownPride

You da man...basketbills

I stand corrected. lol. I am now a believer. (after basketbills showed me irrefutable proof :))

Laimbeer = slacker rich kid with a competive edge most NBA players today would wish to have 1/4 of.

To think that the team could have actually been better had Lamb worked harder during the offseason is hard to believe. ...and he never missed a game. I guess for him, relaxing during the offseason actually added some longevity to his career at the expense of maximizing his potential. His refusal to work on a post game during the offseason is perplexing.

Anyway, that generation of Pistons could get away with something like that...in order for the Pistons with their current collection of players to succeed we definitely need to get the absolute best out of our highest paid Piston. To me this means working out. This IS his freakin' job for heaven's sake.
  8. MotownPride

I would say because we pay him alot of money to stay in shape and be prepared to contribute immediately. Karl Malone's dominance and dependability was aided primarily by his conditioning program. There is a reason why the mailman stands as one of the most productive players in NBA history.

Even the great Michael Jordan did not reach new levels of success until he hit the gym. Perhaps Bill can get away with it, but this Pistons' team is really going to need the best Sheed possible to get past this year's competition...in my humble opinion.

BTW, I think most of the discussion in this thread has been complimentary to Sheed. Every player on this team has room for improvement...Sheed can stand to improve his training regiment.
  9. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

We're all forgetting Sheed's a known pot smoker. Smoking makes you very lazy and the munchies are killer.

(Don't ask me how I know :o).

BUT - once the season starts Sheed's off it (I'm hoping). Its not hard to get back into shape, and besides the regular season doesn't mean much. Its the playoffs where we need him the most.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, let's not go there. ;)
  11. MotownPride

Except better conditioning (building strength could limit injuries during the regular season) may lead to a more healthy post-season. The connection between keeping ones weight under control, building the quad muscles to relieve pressure from the knees...etc... It is very valuable. This is coming from a guy who has had ACL surgery..so I speak from a little bit of experience. I'm sure Mr. Kander is in Sheed's ear bigtime!
  12. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Laimbeer?

If Laimbeer jumped off a bridge would Sheed do it as well?
  13. roscoe36

Actually Sheed is making less than 12 million per year right now.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/detroit.htm

Based on basketball-reference.com he made less than $10 million in 2005. That was a substantial dropoff from the 16.9 million he made in 2004.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wallara01.html

I don't understand why Sheed is the favorite guy to beat on when he is

1. Bad Boy to the core
    2. The catalyst in our championship season
    3. A great teammate and the one guy willing to be accountable in the press.

Jock envy? Let's not crap on Sheed like they did in Portland. We know how that turned out. He's our boy, he's like us, he plays like a Piston and his shortcomings are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. Ben's free throw shooting and lack of a jumpshot is a bigger issue IMO than Sheed's scoring production or post play.
  14. Jackattaq

Personally, I will rip Sheed alot because of this: Sheed is often the guy who I see as just "loafing" through games. He gets "lazy" and "chucks" perimeter shots instead of working downlow. He has the talent to score more but prefers "the easy way out" (perimeter shots) and doesn't want to work very hard to make the most of his talents.

Sheed is also a premier defender, yet we rarely see Sheed play 100% on D. He plays great interior defense but he also gets burned by guys like Haslem, Doleac, Laettner, Songaila and whoever else can hit the 18 footer. Sheed barely gets a hand up on most nights. It's just his lackadaisical approach to perimeter D. He can play perimeter D (I've seen him shut down Dirk, I know he has it in him) but he often just sags the middle and allows those guys to get off. Sheed could easily take those looks away.

It may not be fair on my part but I didn't like that Sheed is allowed to "bomb away" from 3 pt land but one of my other favorite players; Mehmet Okur got benched for thinking about looking at the rim from more than 10 feet out. Sheed wouldn't postup and took garbage perimeter shots and he could do no wrong in LB's eyes. Mehmet at least TRIED to play DOWNLOW (because LB made him) and he got benched for taking ANYTHING outside of 10 feet. It's not Sheed's fault but it did bug me. Sheed was never "forced" to play downlow like Okur was and Sheed could have really helped us there.

Now it comes to the fact that Sheed is the highest paid Piston yet he at 6'11" didn't muster up ENOUGH EFFORT to grab more than 1 rebound or ZERO FTa's in a GAME 7 of the CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES. Sheed wimped out on his team. He consistently got in foul trouble (thus hurting our team) in the playoffs. He consistently disappeared in games and was a NON-FACTOR (preferring perimeter shots over ones that get you FT's) when we needed offense. Worst of all had to be his "bonehead" play that allowed Horry not only the "game-winner" but 3 other triples in the 2nd half of that game. Sheed got a free pass from his coach the ENTIRE YEAR, excuse me if I don't feel the same.
  15. DaviaG-Rap

Accountable in the Press? I wish he were accountable in the game! Other than good defense we never know what we are going to get out of Sheed. He is unreliable, even when he makes his Gauransheed's. Out of all the starters his play leaves the most to be desired. He is the favorite guy to beat on because, well, HE DESERVES IT, although I don't think LB was the greatest influence. Hopefully, Flip will get rid of the teachers pet and doghouse philosophy and treat everyone the same.
  16. roscoe36

Ah yes, the Sheed haters in full force.

Reality. Sheed at 80% is better than most of the PFs in the league.

Get over yourselves. It's got more to do with Darko, LB and Memo than any tangible beef you have with Rasheed, and btw, KGREG has mentioned that Darvin told him (the SagNasty connection) that Brown rode Sheed just as hard as anyone else. He just handles it better and doesn't cry like a baby ala Memo.

Sheed was in foul trouble all of 2004 as well. And we won. Sheed locked down Duncan more times than I can count. I cannot believe someone brought up Darius Songalia from a regular season game, or the legendary Udonis Haslem. Do the words "Don't leave me!" mean anything to you? ;)

I'm out. Feel free to bicker amongst yourselves. :)
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

All I know is that Sheed steps up in big games (Game 6) unless he gets bullied by the refs (Game 7).
  18. Jackattaq

That Sacramento game just stuck in my head. Songaila shot 7-9 and almost everyone was a perimeter jumper. I remember watching Sheed lazyily wave at him in a half-hearted manner as he wound up hitting all but 2 shots. That is the type of effort I'm talking about. He let a guy of INFERIOR SKILLS put 14pts on him. He just didn't challenge his shots at all.

It just bugged me, that's all.

I don't want you to think that I can't see Sheed's value, because watching him defend Duncan proves his worth. But it's just that for being the highest paid player I think he should have high expectations on him.
  19. DaviaG-Rap

The team is talented enough to make up for Sheed's inconsistancy on most nights, but why should they have to? Here is an interesting stat, Sheed commited 41 more fouls than FT attempts in the playoffs (95fouls, 54fta). If you are satisfied with RW giving 80% effort thats fine, I am not.

You say LB rode Sheed a lot? well... I am not at all impressed with the results of that motivation. We all know Rasheed needs to get into the post and needs to get to the FT line. Do we need him shooting 3's at a 30% clip? Not so much.
  20. Jackattaq

Sometimes

That's another sore spot I have with Sheed. He runs his mouth (with the guarantees) and he doesn't step up to back up his words. He lets his teammates bail him out. He did it twice against Indy and I think one of those games he shot 3-13 or something along those lines. He has no problems running his mouth but he often NEEDS his teammates to "have HIS back".