The Sheed effect

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 26, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Sheed is going to come into training camp well prepared, and I can gaurantee that.

2. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Jackattack and Davis g rap

Amen, my sentiments on Sheed exactly. To me he is the consumate underachiever. Like I stated earlier, pistons undefeated in playoffs when he scores 20. Seeing that he can do that with minimal effort if he just would play in the post, what in the hell is stopping him from doing it?? Jack I feel the exact same way about the treatment Memo got as opposed to Sheed. That was a helluva double standard they were setting. And the thing is Memo would make his 3 point shot and get pulled while Sheed would just bomb away with no consequences. If Sheed put forth 80% the effort Big Ben does the Pistons would be unmatched in the NBA. Thats a dam shame we have to throw the ball to Ben down in the post all game when we got Sheed on the floor. Sheed get your Lazy but down in the post and stop these scoring droughts!!

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Sheed

funny.

Amazing how losing a series welcomes all of this criticism. All great points. I think most of this speaks to self-improvement. I guess that is the difference between a good player and a great player. The great ones are not content with the fact that they are serviceable or even better than many..they strive to be THE best. If you are not exerting a 100% effort, doing all of the offseason preperation possible...you are still underachieving regardless if that level of underachievement is still better than most.

That's truth.

The other truth is that the only reason why it is important is because we loss game 7.

Still love the guy though.

4. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

You don't know how many times I would get so mad seeing Ben getting all the postups. Ben is a 41% FT shooter. Let him crash the boards. Don't let him play russian roulette at the FT Line. Sheed just didn't work that hard in the post. He does have the talent, just not the willpower.

You are right, if Sheed ever gave us 100%, it would take the Pistons to a whole new level.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I notice Big C has a picture of Mr. Laimbeer in his avatar...talk about double standards!! Two guys act the same way and you pick one for a hero and the other for a whipping boy? Any particular reason why?

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

this is why I see some silver lining with Flip coming in. Maybe he'll try to get Sheed' down low like he did KG. That would be really great.

7. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Honestly

Do you really feel that KG plays downlow? I swear he takes just as many perimeter jumpers as Sheed does.

I've nicknamed KG the "fadeaway king". The guy goes away from contact at all costs. He prefers jumpers to taking any abuse in the paint.

I would like to see Sheed in the high-post. Sheed can play SOME LOW-POST but we know he won't play there alot. In the high-post Sheed can shoot or pass to set up cutters. Sheed should touch the ball more than Ben on offense. It seemed like we ran the offense more through Ben than Sheed last year. I hope we change that trend soon.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't care how we get Sheed the ball, but we have to get it to him, and I think Flip might help us here.

9. Big C

Basketbills

The difference in Sheed and Laimbeer? Laimbeer was a 6'11 white guy who had a non existant verticle, so what does he do?? He still lead the league in rebounding a couple seasons!! The man had a very high basketball i.q. He got the "most" out of his ability on the floor when IMO Sheed doesnt come close to reaching his potential on the floor. Sheed has a low post game, Laim didnt but still played down there more than Sheed as in evidence of his offensive rebounding and rebounding in general. I once seen Bill foul out Duckworth, Buck Williams and Kersey all in the same game because they were just so set on hurting him. Bill could get in an opponents mind like no other. If he had Sheed's natural ability he probably would have ben the greatest center of all time.

Im sorry but just doing "just enough" to get the job done just doesnt do it for me. Leave it all on the floor. Why should I wish that I had a Duncan or a Garnett when I got a guy that has all the same tools but he doesnt want to put forth the effort? If anything I think you guys give him to much credit, there is a number of power forwards we could have plugged into that spot and still had of been champions. We might have not been quite as good defensively but we still would have been pretty dam good defensively and much better offensively. Defense is great but you still have to put the ball in the basket to win. Spurs were great defensively also but they could score and went and added more scoring!

I dont care how many more defenders the pistons add in the offseason if they continue with those scoring droughts they wont beat many teams scoring 74 points. You got the answer to your problem right on the team. Utilize it.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Thats the one problem with having no superstar because sometimes we don't know who to get the ball too because we a lot of options. I'm glad we don't though because we won't be screwed if we have an injury compared to other teams.

11. Big C

Microwave

DONT LEAVE ME!!! Is that what Horry shouted to our "golden Boy" Sheed before he cracked his head with that killer shot? Sheed had to be the only guy in america that didnt know Robert Horry's history. You can make all the excuses for the guy in the world, like Joe D said" YOU DONT LEAVE ROBERT HORRY IN THAT SITUATION" what a bonehead. Basketbills Laimbeer would have never did that.

12. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Get off Sheed's back without him the ship wouldn't have came in and we wouldn't have been there last year in the finals. Yes big bonehead play leaving Horry but everyone woulda been on the boat if he would've deflected the pass, caused a turnover or whatnot.
    Not a chance I woulda taken but without Sheed we aren't a great team.I would love him to come in in shape and not twinkie shape.He was there shooting around with Flip and CB maybe he will be better prepared this season.

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Sheed

Sheed took responsibilty for the Horry mistake. The team tried to defer the blame but he owned up to it. That play is no different than the Zeke pass getting picked off by Bird. It happens. It is part of the game. I don't understand all of the negative comments toward Sheed. There is plenty of blame to go around as to why we lost and their are also more than one reason.

14. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Sheed

This thread is entitled "The Sheed effect", NOT "Why Sheed is GREAT". I don't see any negative comments, all I see are honest and fair criticisms. There are very few players I would trade Sheed for, and I am optimistic that Sheed will be more productive under Flip.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Now if any of these things were being said about Darko... Dave would be calling people names...

Question... did the Pistons improve when Sheed joined the team?... fluke?... not a chance.

For those that say Sheed refuses to play in the post, they are seeing what they want instead of what's really happening... if he gets doubled he has to kick it out... he did post up plenty in the playoffs yee of selective memories...
    The perimiter shot can be an effective tool for spacing if you can make them honest by bringing out their bigs.... it worked very well for Laim.
    As for Sheed not having bigger rebounding numbers... who is in the top three in rebounds every year?... clue... BBBBB

Sheed is an excellent compliment to "the body"... there are a lot of excellent players that aren't big weight lifters (Duncan, Odom, AI etc.)...
    Sheed does hold his position well in the post.

Imagine the Pistons without Sheed... who gaurds Duncan, KG and J. O'Neal effectively?

BTW, Ben made the same mistake of leaving Horry open for 3's (after Sheed's blunder)... those points counted the same as the one in game 5.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We wouldn't even be here without Sheed'. i remember against the Heat we were up by 1 with areound 1 minute to go, and Tayshaun missed a driving layup and Sheed tapped it in. If he didn't make that tap they might of won.

17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree with pretty much everything that you are saying (as it pertains to Sheed's revelence to the team and our championship) but it is important to mention that Duncan and Odom are dealing with injury issues these days and I would attribute alot of that to inadequate conditioning. AI is a phenom who plays hurt consistently. I would venture to say that working out may do wonders for his field goal pct. and his longevity in the league. Just my thought. I think all professional athletes have a responisbility to get their body in the best shape possible. Can't really think of any situation where working hard in the offseason has resulted in negative effects. So why not?

18. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

man, what hope do i have when an underachiever is a professional NBA multimillionaire, two time All-Star, and NBA Championship winner....:ohwell:

19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I agree with your sentiments, but let's not forget about a thing called wear and tear. These guys use their bodies far harder than we do and after decades of basketball they begin to break down. Duncan and Odom got hurt after playing in the offseason for Team USA. Ask Willie Green or Kwame Brown about the perils of the offseason. Good conditioning is essential, but it doesn't guarantee good health ... especially since 82 games plus playoffs is an insane workload.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It is funny that Sheed is so good that we can call what he does "underachieving". I'm sure 20 other NBA squads would like to have a PF ranked as the 5th best defender over the last 3 seasons. The offense, attitude and outside game are just bonuses.

@ Big C et al

That "highest paid" junk has to end. Sheed is not even in the top 30 highest paid players in the league. Sheed makes about half of what Garnett and Webber do. Can you honestly say they produce 2 times as much?

People are starting to think "Piston cheap" which makes it impossible for any player to live up to their salary when considered within the organization rather than against their peers across the league.

Yeah, he's got weaknesses. Yeah, his approach is questionable. But everyone here will admit that we are better with him, than without. That he takes the pressure off of Ben, and defends as well as anyone on the squad. Don't be a player hater.