The Spin

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

After reading all the Langolis pieces about the Pistons in his True Blue Pistons, I was wondering how we would do as spin doctors for a transition team. So here's the deal: Write up a short piece about the team. It has to be unflinchingly optimistic. Have some facts. Has to indirectly tackle criticisms prevalent in the media (including forums). You get docked for sarcasm or self (team) deprication.

Take the worst of this team situation and spin it positive. Prove that ben gordon can run the point and distribute. Or that having 5 SF's is a strength. No criticisms on the validity of the arguement only on if it was true to its spin intent.

It will be fun to see what people come up with.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will be glad to do the very opposite. Let me know if that would help any.
  3. G-man

G-man Starter

Thats weird, I thought you already did?
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Isn't that what you always do anyhow? :pound:
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

That's how you see it. What the spin is is to take something you see and turn into something it ain't and sell it.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Neat idea, Slippy. If I had time to do the write-up, I would include this image with the article:

[​IMG]
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I doubt I could get past the sarcasm needed to sell this team as is. If I dissed it mightily, it would be quite sincere. Leave me out of this one.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nothing less than a 1000 word essay from Ernie will satisfy this.

Get to work Slow Adult!
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Ernie might not do it if he gets docked for sarcasm.
  10. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

He couldn't write, complete and legitimize the first sentence.
  11. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I like this. This is good test of the group's perceptions: having the courage to attack one's convictions while smiling.

If you can to bring this up, like say, after the first 10 games; then it would motivate me to work off of some actions items. Obviously this would be a reaction (defensive spin) against some directions that are negative displays as shown by the team. This of course, includes the coaching decisions.

The more losses in-a-row by the team, the better the stimulus. Since were are not banks, it would provide motivation. You might want to give it a special forum placement section as an on going discussion. Give it a catchy name befitting its role reversal. You might want to give it a name like: Cassandra Working The Pole On Weekends.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Starter

This thread should be stickied as "USSR in the Palace"

Ya know, USSR was sold to outside as a paradise and many believed in that hype:redface:
  13. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Here goes,

As a Pistons representative I can say that Michael Curry was actually a live marketing attempt for the failed startup "Dumars and Son - Suits and Tablecloths." The venture, a desperate move to avoid empty nest syndrome, did not get off the ground when Jordan Dumars decided to go to college instead. Luckily, Joe D's secret reconnaissance mission was complete (sending John Q to steal Clevelands offense and hypnotize Danny Ferry into thinking Shaq will win again) and now we are able to start planning for next year with a [strike]real[/strike] new coach.

With that mistake behind, this season looks to the best rebuilding year ever for the stones as we seek to put behind the contentious shooting guard log jam behind us. You might think "we still have a log jam at shooting guard...ass" and that is true. This time it is not contentious. See with Iverson's Hoyas and Hamilton Huskies battling for the Big East title, there were immediate issues which only worsened. When it was clear that the Hoyas season wouldn't lead them to the tournament, Iverson sat out the whole month of march. With a pair of Huskies at the two spot there will be a "drama"-free logjam until Rip [strike]gets traded[/strike] transitions into his new role.

For fans looking to follow our young forwards, you're in luck. Unlike Amir Johnson, these new forwards should produce stat lines that you don't need a statistics degree to interpret. While it might not make sense that all of these young players are going to fight for minutes behind Tayshaun Prince, who played a career high 37.5 mpg last year. Well, now he can actually get some rest so he can keep alive his streak of 465 consecutive games (second in the league). Not only will this keep Tay fresh when we play Lebron, it also gives us a bunch of bodies to throw at The King as well, who can stop asking for his autograph and provide a physical presence or at least foul him.

In the post you might be thinking that we lack both dominant scorers AND dominant defenders. Yes you may think that. Yes some of the most dominant low post players of all time are in our conference..in our division..... HEY WE SIGNED BEN WALLACE!!! Opponents will FEAR THE FADE (he cut the Fro off, which is totally cool btw). Remember when he BLOCKED SHAQ!!! Man that was awesome! Well, he's not wearing 3 anymore, so get ready to buy new jerseys.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

:pound:

I started something yesterday and I think I made it almost 2 paragraphs befor the sarcasm started.

I may just have to bite the bullet on getting docked for sarcasm sort of like accepting the T's if Sheed is on the team.
  15. roscoe36

Damn, I am going to suck myself into this.
  16. max

max All-Star

I will try later. Although I cannot gurantee that it will not include a slam on Amir Johnson.
  17. roscoe36

Johnson is no longer a Piston, so you can slam him now. Just remember, when he was here, it was all due to Joe, but now that he is gone, it is all due to Amir. :pound:
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tads, that was awesome. Nice work!!
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It is easy for critics from afar to question some of the moves Pistons President Joe Dumars made in overhauling the team following the disappointing but not unexpected 2008-09 season. Joe D’s many critics point to the 4 SF’s taken in the 2009 NBA Draft, the signing of Ben Gordon when they already had Rip Hamilton on the roster and the teams lack of beef in the frontcourt when highlighting the perceived shortcomings of the 2009 Pistons.

Upon closer inspection however one begins to see the wisdom behind the moves the Pistons el jefe made in restoring the proud Piston franchise back to the top of the NBA.

To start one needs to take a look at the source and motives of the criticism directed at the Pistons leader. There is a vulture’s mentality in the NBA and opponents will pounce when they sense an opportunity. Joe Dumars many years of success at keeping the Pistons atop the NBA standings have left him an easy target for his less successful colleagues many of whom have been waiting jealously for close to 10 years for this opportunity to cheap shot him.

We caught up with the Pistons own Joe Dumars during a rare break in his work week to discuss the reshaping of the Pistons team.

Ernie the Slow Adult: You seemed to place a premium on SF’s in the draft, was that the plan going in or was it simply a matter of drafting the best available player?

The Great Joe Dumars: It was both Ernie. You need to be flexible in this business and have the ability to change directions on the fly or you won’t be around for long. That being said though I would have taken the same guys if I had the first 4 picks of the draft.

EtSA: So you liked these guys?

TGJD: Absolutely. When Scott Perry and I met before the draft we had them all at no worse than the top 7 on our draft board in all the mock drafts we did.

EtSA: That’s a lot of SF’s though. How do you figure to find time for them all with Tayshaun still around?

TGJD: We feel like each of these guys brings a unique skill set to the table for us. Take Jonas Jerbko for example. If he pans out then we have someone who can play the 3, 4 or 5 for us in certain situations and create mismatches all over the floor.

That reminds me, hold on for a minute Ernie I got to work with some of our rookies. This job never ends. (Joe presses the intercom and begins to speak)

Jonas can you come into my office for a minute, I’d like to go over some things about your game.

Jonas Jerbko: Sure thing boss.

TGJD: Oh and can you grab some popcorn and a Coke for me on the way up?

Jonas Jerbko: Extra butter and salt?

TGJD: Do you want to dress during the year or be inactive?

Jonas Jerbko: (Hands Joe the popcorn and Coke) What’s up boss? Been working on my post game a lot, what do you think?

TGJD: All right thanks for coming, I’ll talk to you later.

Jonas Jerbko: Huh, I thought you wanted to talk about my game?

TGJD: (Munching down popcorn) Oh yeah, yeah your game. We’re Pistons, pass the ball to the little Ben and not the big one.

Jonas Jerbko: (Confused and leaving the office) Thanks

TGJD: And run some stairs too so you can get up here faster, I don’t like to wait when I’m hungry.

Where were we Ernie?

EtSA: We were taking about the SF’s and how this might impact Tay’s minutes during the year.

TGJD: The game is changing Ernie, you need to be able to create mismatches and take advantage of those in order to win now. The day’s of your 4 and 5 spots going down into the post are over.

EtSA: Last year the team really struggled because the bigs couldn’t really stretch the floor and hit outside shots, didn’t it?

TGJD: Exactly Ernie, that and because we decided that we wanted to make the trade for Iverson so we could free up minutes for Stuckey to play the point.

EtSA: So you figure to cut back on Tay’s minutes to keep him fresher during the year?

TGJD: No, no, we’re going to move Tay to the 4 so we can get the new guys as well as Rip some time at the 3.

EtSA: This is why you signed Ben Gordon didn’t you?

TGJD: (Smiles and nods) There were times last year Ernie when my son Jordan would wake me up in the middle of the games and say things like, ‘Dad look, you’re playing 5 guys out of position. Has that ever happened before?’.

I didn’t know the answer to that question, but I do know this, no one has ever done that for 2 straight years like I’m about to.

EtSA: How do you feel about the big men on this year’s team? Chris Wilcox, Kwame Brown, Big Ben and Charlie Villanueva doesn’t seem like a complete group on paper,

TGJD: I like this group a lot. You got Ben Wallace coming back. He’s older and hasn’t played C as much as he did when he was first here. Kwame, Wilcox and Villanueva have never played big minutes in their careers.

However we’re going to be so bad defensively on the perimeter that one of them, probably Big Ben, will have to play big minutes in order for us to survive. Now of course none of these guys are capable of playing heavy minutes which is perfect because when things go bad I’m going to scapegoat these guys on their way out of town.

EtSA: Is the roster set or do you anticipate making any other moves before the start of the year?

TGJD: In this business you never stop (Pfffft, pfffft) working, you’re always on the phone trying to make the team better. (Busts out laughing)

Hold on, I got to take a break (Drops his head to his desks and pounds his hand up and down before picking up his Blackberry and starts texting.)

TGJD: Yo Zeke, can you believe we get paid for this?

Zeke11: I know. If I pulled this stuff as a kid I’d get arrested but here I get the parking spot closest to the door.

TGJD: You’re FIRED!!!!!!

Zeke11: lol

TGJD: Where was I Ernie?

EtSA: Do you think you’ll make any more moves?

TGJD: As I said earlier Ernie you’ve got to have a plan but be flexible at the same time. It’s a balancing act.

I’m not planning on making any moves, but if a team calls and offers up a conditional future 2nd rounder for my talent I’m going to listen or if I have a chance to turn the #2 pick in a loaded draft into the 15th pick of a mediocre one then it’s the same thing. I’m going to think it over.

It may not even be player personnel that changes, maybe a friend of mine is down on his luck and I’ll hire him to coach.

I don’t want to jinx anything but we’re also close to reaching an agreement with Vinnie Johnson to sire children with the injured Shock players and retired Automotion dancers. That will pay huge dividends down the road for us.

EtSA: Thank you for taking a break from your busy schedule. Anything you’d like to say in closing?

TDJD: (Clutching a 2003-04 Pistons team photo with his thumb covering Larry Brown and leaning back in his chair) See this right here? I did this, it’s all me! IT’S ALL ME!!!
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My head just exploded. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound: