The Spin

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Brilliant stuff Ernie. :pound::pound::pound:

You should make your chats with Dumards a regular feature on the forum. Too funny.

@ Rascoe...front page it???? Awesome stuff.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Thank you (and CJ also).

Everytime I see the name Ernie the Slow Adult on the front page I imagine it driving people away from the forum.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

[STRIKE]Damn[/STRIKE] Darn Ernie...the only thing missing was the AFLAC duck walking through during the interview. Why isn't this piece on the front page of PF? Thanks for the laughs...:pound::pound::pound:
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Wow
    Funny because it's true. (not your comment, the interview write up)
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

:pound: @Ernie

I think we just found McCosky's replacement cuz Ernie's way more entertaining. Put that schtick on the front page and it might draw attention of people beyond just forumites. :pound:

But...sorry Ernie...I think Slippy's gonna dock you a few points. :pound:
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

yeah I'm gonna have to...but both submissions were good reads.
  7. max

max All-Star

Good write ups. Loved the interview with tgjd and the "Suits and Tablecloths"

I would sum up this off-season with one word - Trade able assets. Whenever a team is on the block to trade that top player who wants a change of scenery it's usually for young players with potential. And that's what we have. Maybe all the pieces won't fit here with this team as constructed but there will plenty of teams out there who will look at our roster 1st now instead of last. Or maybe all the pieces will fit.

Obligatory slam. Dumars may make mistakes but he always corrects them.
    Like when he wasted the 2nd pick in the draft but later traded it for what then became Rodney Stuckey ( aka the fake Dwayne Wade ) . Or when he traded Amir for cap space and Afflallo for a late 2nd round pick
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Front page tomorrow, promise. Too tired right now. Someone remind me please...
  9. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Don Nelson would vehemently disagree.
  10. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

LOL very funny articles.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think Ernie should be docked for sarcasm.
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I thought Ernie played it pretty straight. Joe is the one that should be docked.
  13. Slippy

Boy this was harder than it sounded. Anyway, since I put up the thread, I put up a submission.

Dumars has drawn considerable criticism by targeting and signing the off-season’s top two offensive players in Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. Who are the Pistons going to stop? Who will play any defense? The answer is everyone.

Defense as you know is a team effort and for the Pistons organization it’s a unified purpose that stretches beyond the players and coaching staff into the front office and beyond.

Says Dumars, “I don’t think you ever lose the mentality that for us to win, you have to stop people. You have to play good defense. … Lest people forget, Chauncey and Rip didn’t come here as these great defenders. They came here as offensive players. They won a championship because they made a commitment to try to defend people. Just because you address the need to score more doesn’t change your mind-set to have to stop people.”

To take that one step further; to build a contender you have to tap into your roster’s potential. You can pick a young kid from the draft and watch his overall skills mature and blossom. You can take a guy who has just needs the right opportunity to shine. Or you can take a guy who is great at one thing and bring up the rest of his game.

Dumars is banking on all these things happening. Will there be a 100% success rate? Maybe not. But you do the best you can and hang on to the good ones and try to improve on the things that didn’t work out.

But what is encouraging across the board with the talent that Dumars has brought in is that most of them have the ability to put the ball on the floor. Mobility is key in today’s NBA and the Pistons, on solely a talent standpoint, have it in spades.

It’s easy to look back on teams as flies in amber but even the ’89 and ’90 championship teams were slightly different as the expansion draft took Mahorn off the Bad Boy’s bench. An organization, from season to season, is in a state of constant flux. So before you wax nostalgic about the ’04 and ’05 Going to Work Pistons, realize that they spent a few season developing into a contender. They went from offensive weapons to solid team defenders, from draft picks to Olympians, from cast offs to champions.

It’s a process. We start now, not with a finished product but something akin to ingredients in a dish. The frame work is there and it’s been there since Dumars took over – a commitment to teamwork on both ends of the court.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

wow...that was pretty good Slip. Very convincing...it was like you believed your own hooey. It was almost like reading McCosky himself.

No dockage for sarcasm :thumb: :yellowprison:

:)
  15. Slippy

yeah it was very hard. but its like anything else...you just take what you want to believe and leave everything else out.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

oops! :tape:

Sorry

:pound:
  17. Slippy

actually i wanted to use some facts to prove Ben gordon can be a lock down defender...If I get time, I'll try to stretch that one.:stirthepot:
  18. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

Game over. Ernie wins. I laughed my ass off.

Write more, Ern.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, Slippy, you wrote some good stuff, but Ernie was a hard act to follow. It's kind of like when the first guy on your golf scramble team drills one 300 yards right down the center of the fairway. At that point, there really is no sense for the rest of the team to hit a drive.....
  20. Slippy

don't let Ernie intimidate you BL. hopefully more people can spin our situation to something else. Hey, look at MLIVE....its my spin! sort of...lol