The Stat Lab

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In 5 on 5 transitional basketball, Ben Wallace may indirectly create more offense than Stuckey, but he's clearly not as likely to score himself.

It would be fun to watch 5 Stuckey's play 5 Ben Wallace's in full court bball. Would be a very low scoring game for sure.

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it's a great statistic. It seems to do a good job of quantifying what is otherwise a very subjective evaluation of who is "better" at scoring.

3. coynejeremy

Don't slap the Statmaster in the face like that, bro! :MusicBigGrin:

4. max

max All-Star

Looking at the team stats.

The Good

The team has at least been able to sustain it's TO advantage. 13.7 for 14.8 against and rebounds 41.1 for 39.5 against - with a nice advantage on offensive boards of 13.4 for 9.9 against.

The Bad

Assists are 18.0 for 21.8 against. Blocks are 3.8 for 5.2 against. Perhaps the most troubling are FG% .434 for .470 against. All contributing to the overall PPG of 91.7 For 96.7 against.

This looks like a team of what we have been seeing. Defense and rebounding have been ok. On offense - Not passing the ball, not making shots, ill advised shots that get blocked. Overall low team IQ on the offensive end.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We're giving up 47% ?
    That's all the stats I need to see for the curent record.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We are 0-7 when Jerebko comes off the bench. Maybe that is why Q ended the JJ off the bench experiment!
    We are 10-8 when Maxiell plays > 20 minutes. He's been solid.

Rip Hamilton pre all-star break:17.6 ppg on .389 shooting
    Rip Hamilton post all-star break: 25.8 ppg on .486 shooting

He just needed to get his shot back after the injuries.

Stat/AJ/JJ...P36
    pts: 11.4/11.8
    reb: 9.9/ 7.5
    ast: 1.0/ 0.9
    stl: 1.3/ 0.9
    blk: 1.7/ 0.5
    FTA: 4.2/ 2.6
    FG%: .604/ .488

JJ has fouled out 4 times this year while AJ has fouled out once... but Amir obviously fouls at a higher rate. His coach just removes him because coaches do things out of habit.

They've both been surprisingly good. Amir's having the best year of his career by far and JJ went from bench prospect to solid starter in a flash.

Jerebko, Maxiell, and Amir is too redundant... so not stressing.

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Jonas has something that Amir didn't and still doesn't have... a high basketball IQ.

This can't really be reflected in stats necessarily, but it does resonate in his play. Uncanny for a rookie, really.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, Jonas did play pro-ball instead of engaging in the farce that is NCAA academics.

I think the guys who play pro-ball overseas come in much more ready to contribute quickly because they don't have to pretend to be students when everyone knows they are working on a career as a professional athlete.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

And Amir didn't even get to participate in that farce. He came directly from high school. Wouldn't he be a senior in college right now?? I wonder if he would not have benefitted from a few years under a college coach learning to prepare both physically and mentally?

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yea imagine how bad darko would have been without his pro time in europe....

11. roscoe36

That's not the same as what I wrote. I was comparing NCAA to playing as a pro. You are comparing nothing to anything. See the difference?

12. roscoe36

It's arguable how much Darko actually played in Europe.

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

but he was on a pro team... and the things that come with it, and wasn't a college student.

i just think each person has to be looked at as an individual..... just like i think there needs to be some sort of players group (not the owners but the players) that honestly says to kid A you really need to go to college and kid B your ready to come to the pro's. If only that group of players maybe retired players? could look at it from only a basketball skills side of things and not put money into the equation at all.

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Updated stats after the road trip...the offensive woes continue

The Pistons are currently last in the league in FT shooting at 71.4% and last in the league in 3pt shooting at 29.6%....the Magic are right above us in FT shooting probably because of all FTA that DHoward takes and misses @72.1%.
    and the Nets are right above us at 30.3% from beyond the arc.

In terms of ppg and assists, only the 6-52 Nets have worst stats than the Pistons

Pistons average 92.42 ppg, Nets 90.31 ppg....Pistons average 18.44 assists a game, the Nets 17.98.

Wasn't coach Kuester suppose to be an offensive guru?:confused::confused:

If we can get the Wizards, Knicks, Pacers, Warriors and Kings to get on a winning groove here the next six weeks, we might be able to get into the bottom three and get in on the John Wall-Evan Turner sweepstakes.
    That means if any of these teams are still on the schedule..taynk it...:eyebrows::tape2::nono:

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We had so many games without Bynum, Rip, Tay, Gordon, and Charlie V. All of our offense was in suits while Stuckey had very few capable scorers to pass to. In addition, Stuckey is extremely inefficient himself. He's 2nd to last on the team in FG% and even TS%. Only Summers behind him I believe.

Gotta look at our stats in only games with our firepower. In addition, guys like Bynum, Rip and Tay (and still CV and BG) really suck when they are coming back from injuries.

This year is a true write-off.

16. coynejeremy

I think the media and fans made up the whole "offensive guru" thing with Kuester. Just because you were Lebron's offensive coordinator doesn't make you an offensive guru. I think that was a label he himself tried to shed from day one if I recall.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

STREAKING

Just noticed a cool function on basketball-reference that allows you to type in criterea for a streak.

For instance, Rodney Stuckey had 19 games in a row this year where he shot less than 50% (from Jan 5 to Feb 10).

Maxiell had 9 games in a row with at least one shot block.

Prince has had back-to-back 5/5/5 games twice this year and 1 10/5/5 game.

18. BB4L11

BB4L11 First Round Draft Pick

Re: STREAKING

Here is a stat, Detroit are that bad that they cannot even tank games properly.

19. Brap

Brap Starter

There will be holy hell to pay around this forum if Wall, Turner and/or Cousins and Favors turns out to be superduperstars, and the guy we pick isn't great. We'll have discussions that go on for at least 10 years about how we blew it and would have gotten them.

But I'm not really sure about this year's draft. Wall is an unreal athlete, and I can see him being a superstar. Still, even with him, he's pretty raw. Turner might be Brandon Roy - if he can learn to shoot. Cousins might be Sheed II, but not the athlete Sheed was - or he might be Al Jefferson. Favors is the rawest of the bunch.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's tough to fault a team or an organization for winning when they had nothing to play for and a lot to lose for.

It is just a pride thing and they did what every team in their situation should do in a perfect world.