The Stat Lab

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, sticks out as a bit catchier than the rest of Europes history:

Antayquity - Middle (M)ejiges - Benaissance - Gre(g)formation - Dayelightenment
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Dark(o) Ages...
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just doing some sorting and filtering on the young season. Here are some random facts.

• The only 3 starting lineups that get less points per 48 minutes than our starting 5 is Milwaukee, Cleveland and Philly. Ouch.

• Pistons are 0-7 when trailing after 1st quarter.

• We are 5-1 when leading after 1st quarter.

• At the PG position, we are 15th in ppg, 25th in apg and 20th in fg%.

• Kevin Love has a 41 rebound lead over Gasol, who is in 2nd. Big lead that was created with a couple insane games.

• Rondo has a 25 assist lead over Deron, who is in 2nd.

• Darko Milicic is the overall league leader in blocked shots with Josh Smith and Dwight Howard a few back.

• Lebron James leads the NBA in turnovers.

• Amir Johnson leads the NBA in true shooting percentage at .682

• Reggie Evans and Amir Johnson are #1 and #2 in the league in offensive rebounding percentage, and they each have a huge lead on the next closest player. Very strange dynamic they have going on with that.

• Charlie Villanueva is 3rd worst in the league in turnover percentage.

• Amir Johnson has the highest offensive rating in the entire NBA with 135.6 points scored per 100 possessions with him on the court.

• Dwight Howard has the best defensive rating in the league with only 90.5 points scored per 100 possessions with him on the court. Very big difference between those two numbers.

And this one is shaping up to be the most unbelievable stat of the season IMO...
    Win shares per 48 minutes-

1) Chris Paul (mvp candidate)
    2) Pau Gasol (mvp candidate)
    3) Al Horford (2010 all-star, having a career year so far)
    4) Dwight Howard (DPOY candidate)
    5) Amir Johnson (Pistons cast off)
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons have 2 players with positive +/- numbers so far this season.

1) Greg Monroe. 431 scored and 419 given up with him on the court.
    2) Charlie V. 814 scored and 805 given up with him on the court.

Ben Gordon is very close to break even at -3.

Overall, the trend still continues that our starters are horrible and our bench fares better.

But... since we're obviously not getting hurt when our top draft pick is on the court and since we have nothing really to play for this year, I'd like to see a lot more Monroe... and Daye. Let's see what we got and give them some experience.

One other thing I noticed. Rip is the team's best +/- player at home and 2nd worst on the road. Ben Wallace is just at the bottom any way you slice it.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Vince Carter is quietly having a very solid season so far.

Career high FG%, career high 3P% (at .422).

His eFG% of .559 is way above his career average of .487.

This efficiency has him dominating the +/- stat on the Magic with a hefty cushion between him and the next closest, Dwight Howard. He also has 3 or more assists in almost 50% of his games.

Also, one other stat for the Magic. When Jameer Nelson is on the floor, he assists on 43.8% of his teammates field goals. Compare to 29.3% for Stuckey, 53.6% for Rondo, 50.4% for Chris Paul, and 41.7% for Lebron James.

Nelson is right up there with the big boys.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Told you should've kept Amir.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Because of his Win-Shares per 48-minute stat? Toronto is 6-10. Amir's win stat is helping them win.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

One guy with a great Win-Shares per 48 minute stat can't singlehandedly carry a team. They need to find one other guy with a great Win-Shares per 48 minute stat line to help out.
  9. BillLaimbeer

Or, perhaps they just need Amir to play 48 or more minutes per game.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons' win share per 48 leader...

Rodney Stuckey.

Leaders from previous seasons-
    2010: Ben Wallace (Amir 2nd on Raptors, Billups 2nd on Denver)
    2009: Antonio McDyess (Amir in 2nd, Billups 2nd on Denver)
    2008: Chauncey Billups (Amir in 2nd)
    2007: Chauncey Billups (Amir in 2nd)
    2006: Chauncey Billups (Amir in 2nd)
    2005: Chauncey Billups
    2004: Chauncey Billups
    2003: Chauncey Billups

Dang, that Chauncey guy really looked good in the old win share department! Only problem is that he is 10th on the Nuggets this year, which is the first time since 2003 that he hasn't led his team or been close to it.

And I think that I've officially isolated Amir's best stat and statistical oddity. In his entire NBA career, he has either been 2nd or 1st on his squad in WS per time unit.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He's still keeping his PFs up, around 4 a game.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The achilles heel. It should get worse now that Reggie Evans is out and Amir will have to go up more against starters.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The cream will rise to the top.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey isn't perfect and he still frustrates me plenty at times, but I think it's worth noting how he has separated himself from everyone else on the team.

1st in Points per game (2nd on the team is more than 3 points behind him)

1st in Assists per game (more than double anyone else on the roster

1st in free throw attempts

1st in PER (19.6... CV is second at 17.1)

1st in win shares (1.5, CV second at 1)

1st in Offensive rating

3rd in True shooting %
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's definitely one of the top players on the team, if not the best. The problem is that he doesn't orchestrate the floor like we are seeing some other PG's do, which is why many argue that he'd be a better asset to the team if he could slide over to the SG spot. Those true PG types would made this Pistons roster look way better than Stuckey is making it look. Guys like Rip look like crap when they have to share a large percentage of the play making (too many turnovers).

So, I'd take Stuckey criticisms with some perspective. A lot of them aren't attacking him, but rather Dumars and/ or the coach for creating a system where the team relies on him to do something different than his natural abilities allow.

I don't think that we know whether or not Stuck would make a good SG, but since we don't get to see him try, we assume it would be magical.

I could envision a system that looked something like this:

PG: true point guard type
    SG: Rodney Stuckey- driving/ slashing machine
    SF: Austin Daye (i.e. has tremendous range)
    PF: Villanueva (has great range)
    C: Greg Monroe (can make passes to cutters or shooters)

With Stuck at the 2 spot, we'd need some abnormally good shooters at SF and PF to spread the floor. This would do 2 things, 1) provide the outside shooting that a shooting guard usually takes care of, and 2) opens up the lane for the PG and Stuckey to slice and dice.

Now the lineup that I mention above would be dead last in the NBA defensively... so we'd have to have a good marketing department to keep selling tickets.
  16. coynejeremy

But only until they sell out - then we fire them!
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I agree TaS, I like Stuckey sliding over to the two. Watching him move off the ball in that game against the Knicks, really does lead me to believe that we'd be getting the most out of him by playing him there. It's his natural position.

But until we move at least half of the combined $25 million shooting guards, that isn't even a thought worth entertaining.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Who is Joe Dumars? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Dumars. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

A +/- stat for rebounding by guards who played 800+ minutes last season. Stuckey is 6th with a 4.1 percent increase of rebounding when he's on the floor and Bengo is dead last with a solid -8.8 percent. However, note that these numbers are affected by alot more than the individual ability of the player. I guess alot of this can be explained by Stuck playing alot of minutes with JJ and Big Ben. Maybe not the most interesting stuff that has been posted here but I am a sucker for strange and useless stats.

Most Valuable Rebounding Guards | The City
  20. coynejeremy

NBA: Under-the-radar storylines in the East - ESPN

I thought this was encouraging for Greg Monroe. I know I've read a lot on here about how many times he gets his shot blocked. I thought I would take a little look-see at the data for this year to see how he's doing compared to the rest of the league. So I went to Hoopdata.com and looked at this season's scoring stats, filtered for players averaging 15+ minutes/game. As you can see, block% is calculated by the times the player was blocked divided by the number of field goals attempted. Here are the top 40 for this young season:

[​IMG]

The Pistons have 4 guys in the top 16 of this list. Greg Monroe (10th with 13.8%), Jason Maxiell (12th with 13.2% - almost identical minutes played as well as %blocked as Monroe), Will Bynum (13th with 13.2%), and Rodney Stuckey (16th with 12.4%).

For comparison, with the same filtering, last year Glen Davis was third in the league with 17.9% (behind a couple guys that played respectively 3 and 11 games total). At 33rd, Bynum was the only Piston in the top 40 with 9.6%. This year, Davis is 141st with 5.5% (and he's on pace to attempt 1.75 times the number of field goals he attempted last year in the same number of games).

This tells me that this is a statistic that can be improved, which is good news for Monroe. A good question is how did Davis make such a huge improvement from last year to this year?