1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Stat Lab

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A poster on DBB posted two pie charts showing Josh Smith's shot selection at SF and PF. The bottom line is that they are almost identical. When he's a PF, he takes slightly fewer 3-pointers and trades them for slightly more long 2-pointers. His percentage is about the same either way.

So, I think the problem is deeper than just trying to keep him at his natural position. There must be a bigger picture issue and since it's different than all of his prior years, I'm leaning toward the coaching/ lack of coaching. Josh Smith didn't just go over the hill and start settling for perimeter shots like Sheed did when he got fatter and had less energy.

I'm guessing that some factors that lead to this poor shot selection are: Cheeks lets him, there is a lack of organization to the offense and they are the shots of least resistance, we have an above normal amount of kick outs to Smith after failing to execute, we have some really selective shooters in Dre, Pope, and Singler, and it leads to more deferrals to Smith.

It's frustrating, whatever the reason.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One last thing:

Cleveland obviously can't be happy with the Bennett selection so far. But, just want to show that it's Darko-bad.

Bennett so far this year vs Darko's first two seasons, adjusted to match Bennett's minutes (i.e. scaled down Darko's stats from 413 minutes to 358)

Stat: AB/ DM
    Pts: 92/ 100
    FG%: .279/ .298
    Reb: 80/ 75
    Ast: 8/ 12
    Tov: 28/ 25
    Stl: 12/ 8
    Blk: 5/ 28

Bennett's start is worse than Darko's so far, which is amazing. That's a nightmare scenario when you ignore the rankings and pick based on your own analysis. It sure would open you up to a lot of criticism. At least Joe went with the consensus and he's still here 11 years later.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You have to wonder how high he was on Joe's draft list and would he have taken him if he has been sitting there when it was time for the Piston pick?

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok who's tanking and who just plain stinks??

I looked at the records of the teams that were worst than the Pistons and compared how all had performed since 12/17....

If the season ended today, we would slot in 10th spot, which I believe is not good enough to get a pick. We would need to lose at higher clip than the Celtics, Bucs, N

Celtics 3-19
    Bucs 3-18
    Lakers 4-17
    Magic 4-18
    Pistons 6-13
    Cavs 7-15
    Kings 8-15
    Sixers 8-12 (including 6 road wins)
    Knicks 9-10
    Jazz 10-8

The five worst records in the league belong to the Bucs, Magic, Celtics, Sixers and Kings.... The Lakers have the sixth worst, but their pride is preventing them from tanking. However with Kobe still mending, they will still be in the lottery and with their luck, they will get the # 1 pick.

6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I saw that on reddit, and the fact is that Josh Smiths 'position' only affects the people he defends. I tried to keep an eye on him over a couple of games, and regardless of which position he is playing, his role in the offense remains the same. This is the problem!!

Cheeks has no offensive sets. I think that when Smith is on the floor, something like 50% of offensive half court sets start by him setting a pick just below the arc on the free throw side (inside) and then rolling out to the three point line. Too often our PG's think that a drive and kick to him is good option. It is not. Another 30% start with Smith J cutting out of the paint along the baseline to the corner and then rolling up. It is straight up pathetic watching this. My team can start more complicated plays.

I agree with others on here that this team has plenty of talent, but no direction. Our defense is slack at best and its not just on the players. Everyone fights under screen, regardless of whether its Tiago Splitter as the ball handler or Steph 'I'm an outside shooter' Curry. It looks like the damn 3 point shoot out there. The switches are too late, our guards are allowed to endlessly gamble on the perimeter, despite the fact that for some reason, our big guys will happily chase people away from the paint. You could lay a highway on some of those lanes. Do we not have a scouting team? Are we the only professional team who's tape sessions consist of watching And1 Mixtape tours from 5 years ago?

On another note, I played ball tonight and went 5-7 from deep, so maybe Cheeks will pay me $13m a year to jack endless 3's early in the shot clock and play average defense. I'm only 6"1' and virtually the definition of a white man who can't jump, but I'll be able to convince him that I can keep up with power forwards in this league.

Mogilny, LA Dre, brofmfa and 2 others like this.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Panda, sounds like your vorp and ppp were pretty high last night.

The Panda likes this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL. You have to wonder about any research that concludes that BoT deserves a raise...

The Panda likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dude had less of a conscience than Charlie Three.

The Panda likes this.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If he makes them who are we to criticize?

13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It's kind of a forum tradition to give us a lengthy discourse on your basketball background.
    It started with a Lee post...I used to play a lot of basketball. Half court mostly. I could run all day. I made a lot of half court shots.
    I wish I could find the original post but that will give you an idea .

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Pistons would go with Jimmer instead...at 13m per...............

coynejeremy likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

My first three was a heat check, contested and about a metre behind the 3 point line. I knew it was going to be a good night. Having said that, after I hit on three consecutive possessions they started guarding me tight on the perimeter. I got fouled on a 3pt attempt, ball rattled out and then I proceeded to 'Josh Smith from 20 foot' all of the free throws. Turrible.

It's an awesome feeling just pulling up in rhythm as the trailer and splashing 3's. Unfortunately, my team mates were not hot at all, and a whole bunch of really nice passes ended up as BJennings hesitation dribbles, awful floaters and missed layups. Ugly.

Umm, I started playing in year 8 (about 13/14 years old). Made my schools 1st/2nd squad by 16. Played rep basketball from 16-18. Trained at the Australian Institute of sport really briefly with my school team which was a lot of fun. I learned so much about warming up/cooling down and avoiding injury. I play shooting guard/small forward most of the time. Always been a jumpshooter predominately but I'm an ok at dribble driving. My best skill is probably finding cutters either from the high post or the wings. On defense, I am reasonably lengthy given my height and have ok movement. Not a terrible team defender, but not great, much better one on one. When I was playing a lot however, I damaged a whole bunch of stuff in my ankles (mainly my right) after consecutive sprains which I didn't treat properly. I lost most of my leap (I could two hand off one foot, even do legit one hand tomohawks) and a lot of confidence.

Now I just play more casually twice a week, mainly as a fitness thing. The guys I play with are pretty good, but its just a local comp nothing special. I starting doing powerlifting (mainly squats, but a little bit of deadlifting) and my ankles have been feeling a lot better so I'm getting some explosiveness back.

I get really angry at Cheeks because I have been on the end of an amazing coach (my high school coach) and a pathetic one (my reps coach) and I know how much of an impact having a guy who can draw something up to get you out of a slump can have on a team. My school team was 2 open jumpshots (2 seperate games) away from going undefeated one year. My rep team often got run out of the gym because we didn't have a guy who could tell us why we were leaking so much. It's really hard to try and fix your defence when 5 different perspectives are all trying to fix it on the run.

To be honest, I can sympathise with Jennings/Smith - I was always a scorer, usually about 18-20ppg - and when my team was underperforming there were a couple times where I went into hero mode. My good coach used to pull me and tell me I was being a dickhead. My bad coach would tell me they would eventually go in. I know which one Cheeks is.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

my stat: the 2nd highest paid guy on the team is not injured and doesn't play. That's a Uge albatross.

linwood and Laimbrane like this.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Have you ever delivered news papers on a three-speed?

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I was just reflecting yesterday on how truly horrible cv and ben Gordon are after joe fell for them. How does he pick the 2 duds like that? They should be peaking right now at their ages.

19. BillLaimbeer

I broke a few chains doing that back in my day.

20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The biggest albatross is the fact that the highest paid guy on the team DOES play.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.