The Stat Lab

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Harrelson has a higher 3p% (12/31, or 38.7%) than everyone else on the team except Jerebko (40.9%) and Mitchell (100%). He's 3 percentage points higher than the next guy (Bynum, 35.7%).
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is it fair to say that FA signings have ruined the team since 2004?

Our 2004 Championship was so driven by great trades and one big key FA signing (ranked #6 of all time by this guy):

6. Chauncey Billups, Pistons: 6 years, $35 million
    Billups was a journeyman who played for four teams in five years and was perceived as a malcontent. In 2002, he signed with the Detroit Pistons and quarterbacked them to an eventual title. In six years with Detroit, Billups made six straight conference championship series, two NBA finals, and won an NBA Championship. His career still doesn’t get the respect it deserves; Chauncey Billups is Method Man.
    Top 10 Free Agent Signings In NBA History - Hoopsvibe

If Joe would have signed a 2003 version of Jennings instead of Billups, I'm guessing that great run never would have happened.
    Nemo likes this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Jorts night would be a good promotion at the Palace (i.e. special uniform night where the players wear jean shorts).
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps fans that wear jorts to the game get a free Dumars-size tub of popcorn?
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just was amazed to realize that the Pistons have made more baskets than their opponents this year. It's 1,725 to 1,719.
    So, on any given possession, we are more likely to score.

We've also attempts almost 100 more free throws. It's 1,160 to 1,065.

Total reconciliation:

2-point FG's: We are +105 x 2 = +210 points
    3-point FG's: We are - 99 x 3 = - 297 points
    FT makes: We are -52 x 1 = -52 points

TOTAL = -139 points

If we would have shot FTs at the same % as IND, we'd have 129 more FT makes on the same number of attempts and we'd basically be breakeven on point spread for the year. So our inefficiency at the line adds up.

The New York Knicks are another weird case. They've made 59 more FG's than their opponents, but are getting our scored at the FT line by 218 points! The thing is, they just don't get to the line. We've had nearly 100 more attempts and are still getting outscored by 50+ points.

Lack of 3-pointers and bad FT shooting for us. We partially make up for it by causing so many turnovers (decreasing our opponents attempts) and by getting so many offensive rebounds (increasing our shot attempts).
    Walter, brofmfa and linwood like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If we had a $70MM salary budget and we had to distribute it to the players in a way that was proportionate to "wins produced" on the season, here is how it would be paid out:

Drummond: $19.4M
    Monroe: $11.5
    Jennings: $9.7
    Singler: $7.4
    Stuckey: $6.3
    KC Pope: $5.2
    Smith: $5.2
    Jorts: $3.0
    Bynum: $1.9
    Jerebko: $1.1
    Charlie V: $0.4

We are getting a really good deal (obviously) on our rookies, but especially Drummond. Jennings is also producing well compared to his contract, which is rare for a DET FA in the last 5 years. Smith (so far) and Charlie V are the 2 killers to our efficiency. That's $22M that I have the feeling we could find a better way to allocate with a FA mulligan or two. Durrant is making below $19M/year to put that in perspective.
    The Panda likes this.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks for quantifying it. I've been concerned about their FT shooting since early in the season. To have that many players that bad at such a fundamental part of the game should be a big red flag.
    Nemo likes this.
  8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Fundamental is the word. My FT shooting was historically average (60-65%), then I modelled it after Pau Gasol and it went up to 75-80%. I play once a week with little to no training. It just cannot be that difficult to make a free throw for these 'professionals'. It boggles my mind sometimes.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You talking about pau's one hand drill? Would like to see dre try that.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I teach visualization with free throw shooting. If a player tells me they can make 10 in a row shooting free throws in the driveway, I have them pretend they are in the driveway when they are at the line during a game. The key is getting their mind to the place where they feel comfortable. Block out the actual situation, go through an established routine that they have practiced thousands of times, and shoot with confidence.

Most of these bad NBA free throw shooters actually have good technique. They are letting their mind get in the way.
    brofmfa likes this.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Every team has bad FT shooters and just because the Pistons are last in the league doesn't mean they are all bad. It's just that the three bigs go the line the most and none can shoot better than 62%. Of the guys who can shoot better than 75%, Singler, Billups, KCP and Stuckey, only the latter gets to the line enough time to make a difference.....and that's only on the days that he is dressed to play. Probably one of the best FT sitters in Piston history is sitting on their bench (Billups) and he has shot I believe less than 12FT the whole season. KCP doesn't penetrate enough such as what RIP did to get to the line, so it falls on our bigs to get those extra 10 points a game that may make a difference, and those misses have probably cost us at least 3-5 games.
    brofmfa and Slippy like this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I do that in golf all the time (put yourself on range during shot, imagine hitting into ocean on tight drive, etc). Another trick is to put more pressure on yourself during practice so that the real thing seems like less.

Conditioning is a big part of ft's too. Gotta practice them when you're gassed.

Technique can't be overlooked though.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I'm not a great free throw shooter in games, but can easily hit 10 in a row, maybe more, shooting in a driveway situation.

I've always found that shooting them in games is super hard when I'm tired. Like, my free throw % would probably drop 30% if you compared say, the first quarter and the last quarter.

Oh man I suck at golf. May as well be playing fruit ninja with all the slicing.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good article that describes early uses of the data that gets logged by the high tech tracking systems that are now in every arena.

DataBall «

When you think about the raw data that they collect and how complex the on court happenings are, you realize how difficult it would be to extract meaning from it all. It's possible, just really difficult. Would take really smart and creative people to design software to do so.
    brofmfa likes this.
  15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They still can't get the all-star voting system right, so I think there's a chance we may not see it in our life time.
    brofmfa likes this.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cool.

I worked a few years ago on a project that tracked shoppers as they moved through store, looking at the impact of in-store media and other factors on purchase.
    linwood likes this.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's probably what those cameras are really for.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just read that Monroe hasn't blocked a shot in 23 games. Can that really be true?
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually kind of surprised it hasn't been longer.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If he could go for 23 games without getting blocked, that would be impressive.
    brofmfa and The Panda like this.