The Zoo Crew

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jan 1, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When I first saw the name Buddahfan, I figured that it was a double entendre for weed-fan. I was initially offended that someone would try to promote their drug usage on a forum like this. But after getting to know you better, I realized that you are just a big fan of James Edwards.

2. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

"Zoo":

A park or an institution in which living animals are kept and usually exhibited to the public. Also called zoological garden.

Slang A place or situation marked by confusion or disorder: The bus station is a zoo on Fridays.

Informal. A place, activity, or group marked by chaos or unrestrained behavior.

The informal usage seems to fit our hard-pressing bench players the best.

I think folks would have to try and be offended at this kind of stuff. But that's the world we live in.

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think to somehow equate the pistons bench players as being coined as playing LIKE caged animals and their ethnicity has absolutely nothing to do with racial inferiority period.

I, as an African-American female, can easily relate to others being called pink-skin as a insult to all Europeans.

There have been African-Americans throughout history who have nick-named themselves after animals either because of their ferocity, or for a number of reasons.

The Buffalo Soldiers, a group of brave african-americans who fought during the civil war. (They were given this name by their members because buffaloes were big, black and dark) I had the pleasure of talking with Hiram E. Mann a Tuskegee Airman who coined his flying unit the mad black tigers because they were so angry after one of their members was shot down.

The numerous Negro Baseball league named after objects and such that certainly to me would be downright offensive to the casual observer. The Black Crackers, Indianapolis Clowns, Zulu Canibal Giants, i.e.

There is a distinct difference between "acting like" which is addressing the behavior and attacking the person(s) (character assasination).

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Nice post AG...I was a bit puzzled by BF's take on the name. Animal nicknames are rampant in the world of sports and it's strange for someone to think some racist thoughts about it.

I like it. This bench group is blooming before our eyes. I was at the game against the Bucks and it was great getting to watch the young fellas with my son. We had obstructed view seats and had to stand up all game...but still it was fun to watch.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

ArmyG I give you a blank RX note, have fun.
    As for the Buff Soldiers, I heard the native Americans gave them that name because their hair reminded them of Buffalo hair.
    P.S. mascots get their names from feroscity and respect. Usually because they did a lot of damage befor they were exterminated. <L;-{

6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I completely agree. It seems that in today's world people are "looking" to be offended. It becomes something to talk about.

Even after BF explained why he was offended; I couldn't understand it. Too much of a stretch for my simple mind. Mental gymnastics not my bag.

7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

alot of times a mascot/nickname was made out of respect and now in this age of everything having to be so dang PC the reason of the name is ignored and the outside puplic trys to force change. A local highschool are called the chiefs out of respect for a indian chief that according to legend ran 100 miles to warn a village of an impending indian raid, mission accomplished he he fell to his death from the physical abuse the run had on his body. The town was named after him, and the school mascot for the same reason. Should they change the mascot? I can't think of one reason why, I guess they should change the name of the town too?

Not as familar with Florida State but think i have read that the seminole (sorry if its spelled wrong) take pride in the football team using there name as there mascot? but there is a great puplic movement to force a change there too.....

Racism is a terrible thing, and all people should learn to move away from it, but sometimes folks look for it where it was never intended at all.

8. Delfino Delivers

In my mind there has to be "intent" for there to be racism. Am I wrong?

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agreed.... what bothers me when the person making the statement and the person the statement is directed at are both ok with it and feel no racism.... but along comes person C who tells us all how somebody else intended the statement.

Its all these people who think there out to make the world a better place for me and everybody else that should really just mind there own business.

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

But there doesn't have to be intent or forethought of an action or words for the action or words to be repulsive to others.

For example.

Some people eat with their fingers rather than use utensils, even if they have them. Or they may use utensils incorrectly or use the incorrect utensil when eating.

To some people all of the above actions are repulsive even though there is no forethought before hand by the doer to be repulsive and the eater may even think nothing of what they are doing, but just do it as a reflex action.

:hoops:

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Florida State depicts Seminoles as warriors who throw spears and ride on horses. Their depiction is a stereotypical one that seems to connote that ALL Seminoles are warriors who toss spears. That's the problem with the image. It does not matter if the local Seminole tribe supports it. Other Seminoles in other parts of the country could find it offensive. Now is the Seminole image worse than the Redskins and the Cleveland Indians? Nope. That silly mascot used by Cleveland is incredibly insensitive. Look at the cartoonish face. Do all Indians have silly grins and big noses? Redskins, too. A Redskin is not an Indian. It is the blood left on a scalp of an Indian, removed by the White man who has claimed to kill an Indian. That, too, is offensive. Either way, Indians are human beings, not mascots. You can call it PC if you want, but I call it realizing how offensive something is and working to change it.

I can see why someone might have an objection to Zoo Crew, based on a history of Black athletes being thought of as wild animals or being thought of as less than human. Joe Louis was often depicted by white sportswriters as a beast coming out of the wild to kill his prey. Louis was rarely given credit for being a great, tactical fighter. Traditionally, the white male power structure that has controlled sport has tried to explain the athletic prowess of Black athletes as animal-like and that of natural physicalness. Black athletes have rarely been given credit for their intelligence and hard work. But I don't think armygirl's nickname connotes this at all. I don't think of the Pistons bench as being less than intelligent. They're aggressive and there is nothing wrong with that.

12. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Well said

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

What was that all about?

I would guess that almost every culture throughout history has used animal personas in a complimentary way toward their warriors.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It's a dumb name. Any reference in refining an observation on an important part of the team, so that it qualifies as outside-in reflection, makes it a disingenuous complement.

15. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great saying 69.

I don't like the "zoo" things too but I can relate to what came to CB's mind. If someone said "Players played like hungry tigers came out of cage." that would do good to me.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

I feel like I've just been insulted.

17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Impact vs Intent

The impact was a statement made by CB that exemplify the ferociousness of our bench players.

The Intent was complimentary.

Did he take a picture of ethnic players and paint pictures of them being apes, baboons, i.e. or any other sterotypical pictures depicting groups in a derogatory fashion?

They play like....

They do not act like.....

18. Delfino Delivers

We are all animals no matter what color our skin. It is this "animal instinct" that brought about the use of animals as symbols.

Survival instinct and other attributes of the animals was the intent of using them as mascots. The strength of the bear, ferociousness of the lion (except Detroit's), speed of the panther etc. It was the attributes of the animals that the teams were using to represent there strengths.

It has nothing to do with degrading the human race; it is about reverence to the animal in us all.

19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am not going to get into a full blown debate, however, you can have that claim. I am not an animal.

I guess it depends on how you believe man evolved. I didn`t come from an animal.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this might be the most ridiculous and nauseating debate i've ever read, over something so trivial and something taken so completely out of context.

carry on!