They should just hand the Yankees their championship rings.

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Latinoking90, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Wow, what a team they are going to have. They sign CC, AJ, and now TEX???

This is an insane team!

Their possible line-up:

1. Johny Damon LF
    2. Derek Jeter SS
    3. Mark Teixeira 1B
    4. Alex Rodriguez 3B
    5. Manny Ramirez DH
    6. Xavier Nady RF
    7. Jorge Posada C
    8. Hideki Matsui CF
    9. Robinson Cano 2B

And they still might resign Andy Pettite and go after Lowe! :cheers:

They are still below 200 million dollars btw!
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CC Sebathia 23 mill per year
    Texiria 22.5 mill per year
    Arod $25 mill per year

cost of living must be high in NY

The yanks must be really desparate for a title...when is the last time they won it all, bout 6-7 years ago?
  3. Latinoking90

It does cost a lot to live in NY, but the last time they won it all was in 2000 so 8 years ago.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Eight years is to long for the new yorkers....I wonder if the Tigers who last won in 84 are that desparate to offer that kind of cash....probably not since they got burned last year with Willis. Plus the cost of living isn't that high in Detroit....
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I really hate the Yankees and Red Sox. Baseball NEEDS a hard cap.

I'm a Blue Jays fan. Being in the same division as those 2 teams really sucks. It's hard to compete with those two with less than half of their budget.

Sure, it's possible to do it on the short term (look at Tampa last year), but long term, it's near impossible. Tampa has done it by sucking so bad since they came into the league and having a lot of their own draft picks develop. But when it comes time to re-sign those picks, either payroll has to jump considerably, or you have to watch your players walk for more money elsewhere.

The disparity between the haves and have-nots is rediculous. The Blue Jays are in the middle of the pay scale, according to last year's figures. Florida was dead last in 2008 with a payroll of $21,836,500. That's about 10% of the Yankee's payroll. The Yanks had several players on their team that made more last year than the entire Marlins team.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Isn't there poetic justice to a team that outspends everyone and still loses?

On principle, I am opposed to caps.

Although in Canada I wish they would refer to the NHL cap as a "Hard Tuque"
  7. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Yeah they are an insane team but it doesn't mean they'll produce; but I'm just hating cause I hate them.
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:yukpuke:

Or if they want to be even more obscure a "Hard balaclava".
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I would be for no caps if.... all the money from all revenue sources was pooled then spread out equally. then it was up to the owners to spend there own money to pay for a winner.

The Mike Ilitch's and Steinbrenner's of the world can spend all they want. But the problem is that all teams don't have the same access to income. The Yankee's have so much more money coming in that they can spend like no other team could even think about.

I wonder how long the Marlins could operate with the yankee's payroll
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Why not just spread the talent out evenly? Spread out the best front office people?

The problem with trying to make something competitive "equal" is that you end up with less competition.

Right, but New York has 2 teams in most sports right?

I don't see why a large market should be disadvantaged because somebody decides to buy a franchise in Taterville, Idaho. You know what I mean?

I think the Wings have shown under the NHL cap era that they are a superior franchise, without the $$$ advantage, and likewise, I think the Yanks have shown the opposite. To me, the money doesn't make a big enough different. In the scheme of things, Detroit is a mid-size NBA market, and yet the Pistons have been top 4 for 6 years. That's impressive.
  11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The Yankees are dumb. This global recession is not going away any time soon. Sure some people will still go and see the Yankees, but they will have to keep raising prices to pay for it all. Just like the tech bubble, the housing bubble and the oil bubble their comes a breaking point.
    I wouldn't want to be the ownership when the bubble bursts.
  12. Latinoking90

At least they can see the season openers!

ESPN - Yankee Stadium bleacher seats for exhibition opener to cost 25 cents
  13. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

You are definitely right. Idk why they weren't thinking. They must have fell off their rocker :falloff:
  14. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Remember when you were kids and there were like 20 kids that wanted to play, and you needed four teams? So what you did was you chose the four best players and each took a turn choosing a player until everyone was picked. Can you imagine if you had the first guy choose the first four guys he wanted? If you allowed that, it would take all the fun out of it. Even if they won, it would be totally meaningless since the rules were stacked to favor one team.

In pro baseball, it's the same scenario. The sport is not for the business owners. It's not even for the players. It's for the fans. The rules are slighted however so one team can have their pick of the litter first. If Yankees win this year, I can look at a Yankee fan right in the eye and tell them it was a meaningless victory. Totally hollow.

Final conclusion. Baseball is totally broken. The sport that was once my favorite is now a distant memory. All because the current rules allow a few teams to pick as many players as they want. And then the remaining teams are allowed to come in and get a few table scraps. The leftovers. If we allow the salary cap, it will change the atmosphere so each team gets one pick each until there are no more players to be picked. Now you are comparing apples to apples. Now the game becomes relevent again. Until that happens, count me out.

Just my opinion.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't hate the Yanks for spending all that $$$.
    I hate them cuz they're the Yanks and as a Tiger fan, my father raised me to hate the Yanks.

I remember in the pre-salary-cap NHL, the Red Wings were often referred to as the "NY Yankees of the NHL" due to the fact that Mike Ilitch was a such a free spender. I kinda enjoyed hearing about Ken Holland going out and signing high profile FA's at the deadline every season.

If I hated the pinstripers for that same reason, I'd be a hypocrite now wouldn't I.
  16. Latinoking90

I dunno if you might care, but Andy rejected a 10 million one year deal?

Considering how bad he played he won't even take a 6 mil pay cut.
  17. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Good lineup. But they won't persue Manny, Damon will DH, Matsui will play left, and either Nick Swisher or Mike Cameron will play CF.
  18. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The Yankees will not win the championship. Take that to the bank.
  19. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

I see Pettitte just resigned with the Yankees for $5.5 million plus incentives, after rejecting a $10 million offer. Savvy!

I've always been a huge Andy Pettitte fan, and I'm glad he'll pitch in the Bronx again this year. But the dude's negotiating tactics leave something to be desired.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Hi Murph.

You should ditch those guys on that other board and post over here more.