This has got to end

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

When Mike Babcock came to the Wings he was known as a no nonsense coach. He made the players drill on keeping their sticks on the ice. Repeat: He made Steve Yzerman practice keeping his stick on the ice. He didn't play favorites. Last season in the playoffs, he played Filpula as a rookie. Why? Because he was playing better than some of the more established players in front of him on the depth chart. He bench Samuelson in the playoffs last season. He benched Kyle Calder, when we could have used his grit. He put Yzerman on the 3rd line.

So what is this loyalty to Hasek? Osgood is playing out of his mind right now. He is hot as hot gets for a goalie. Hasek is coming back from an injury and playing like he just got called up from the minors.

Right now I'm watching the Chicago game, and Hasek has given up four goals on 18 (or so) shots... 3 of them shorthanded... I said THREE OF THEM SHORTHANDED.

He's not holding his rebounds. He's overplaying the puck. He's not following the play. He careless. He's trying to keep the puck in play with 2 opposition players on top of him. In short, he's making bad decisions.

And Osgood (who has just as many Stanley Cups as Hasek - one more if you count the one he won as Vernon's back-up) is riding the pine. Why?

Is Babcock using the kiddie gloves on the notoriously eccentric Hasek?

If his pride gets hurt, so what? Maybe he'll start playing better. Maybe he'll play more focused.

Osgood has said in interviews that they (he and Hasek) don't care who is starting. They have said that they have a good relationship. They just both want the team to win.

So play Ossie.

If Hasek becomes a locker room cancer... send him to the minors, trade him at the trade deadline... no nonsense.

Our best chance of winning right now is with Ossie. A win in November is the same as a win in April. If Hasek shows that he can be the Dominator later in the season, then play him. Play the hot hand. Don't let the hot hand sit on the bench and keep track of the shooting charts in a ball cap.

I generally agree with Babcock's decisions. But this is baffling.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tonight was the first game in a back-to-back. Hasek played tonight. Osgood will be back in net tomorrow. Most teams play it this way, especially early in the season.

At some point this season, the Wings will need a healthy and productive Hasek. Hopefully, he gets his crap together soon.

3. Superstarov

Most teams, with a number #1 goalie don't play it this way. They ride the number 1. It's pretty standard for the number 1 to play back to backs. But the Wings are trying not to ride Hasek, and they trust Osgood.

They're taking it easy on Hasek because they want him healthy (and his fragile groin).

But he's had the majority of the starts since he came back from his minor injury. And he's played poorly.

My point is, Osgood is an established winner as well. And he's younger. And seems as focused as I've seen him in years. Hasek is off his game.

Let Hasek practice it out of his system, and let Osgood play his butt off.

I mean they pulled Hasek the other night, because he played so poorly, and they still gave him the start tonight. Doesn't make much sense to me, with an alternative like Osgood playing Scott Mitchell (ie - holding the clipboard).

4. BillLaimbeer

The Blackhawks already beat Osgood once earlier this week. Perhaps that was part of the thinking.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Early season wins or losses aren't significant. Practice is nothing like game situations. Let Hasek suck for a few games...give him some time to work his crotch back into shape. In the meantime, Osgood gets some R&R.

In analogy, continuously playing the 'hot hand' (starters) hasn't served the Pistons well in the last three years in attempt to achieve another championship.

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hasek needs to get his timing back. He's been playing on and off due to injuries. He's going to be alright by the time playoffs roll around.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Because of who he is, you gotta give Dom some extra slack.

8. Superstarov

I understand your logic.

But everyone seems to sell Osgood short. He isn't Manny Legace or Kevin Hodson. He's a 3 time all-star, and his career wins vs loss stats are very comparable to Hasek's.

And this talk about early season wins not meaning as much is nonsense. A win is a win. If you really feel that Hasek needs to be "on a roll", and you're using the Pistons running their starters into the ground as justification, then I agree. Let him get a lot of minutes in February when he has his game face on, and he can hit the playoffs on a roll. Trying to get him in dominator form right now, when you have someone who can win on the bench is stupid.

Osgood has lost two games this season. One of them was to Chicago, when he stopped 24 of 27 shots. He has a 1.59 GAA this year. Hasek has a 2.89 GAA, and has 3 losses to Chicago, giving up at least 3 goals in each game.

Let Hasek be the best back-up in the league for a while, and someone who's groin is 7 years younger than his is can earn some W's toward the overall record.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hopefully we don't play CHI in the playoffs. :)

Nice to see you around Supes. Hope the little man is doing well.

10. Superstarov

Keeping us busy. I get a chance to pop in here once in a while.

I just needed to vent about Hasek playing like crap.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Speak of the Devil. I was just thinking about this the other day. The ultimate sin would be to give no rest to the wicked Hasek while Osgood comes down to Earth. Ozzie has been a madman, stopping a blizzard of shots. No more tears for Hasek people. Let him bark at the moon. Just say Ozzie.

12. BillLaimbeer

The invincible, unbelievable, unstoppable Osgood gave up 4 goals today.

13. BillLaimbeer

The other thing to note is that Osgood battled the flu most of last week.

14. Superstarov

Yes, I called him all of those things. Didn't I? Wait, I forgot... no, I didn't say any of those things.

All I said was he would give us the best chance of winning right now.

And despite the 4 goals, we did win didn't we? Wait, I forgot... oh yeah, we did win.

15. BillLaimbeer

I like Osgood just as much as you do. I'm just saying that it's early in the season. Hasek needs to get worked backed into the rotation. Osgood had the flu all week. Osgood got beat by Chicago earlier in this same week. Would it make sense to play a recovering Osgood on both nights of a back-to-back?

16. Superstarov

So Osgood was playing better with the flu than a healthy Hasek trying to get back his timing?

Useless bickering aside, we can all agree that Hasek is off his game, right?

Read this.

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Yes, he's off his game. But the only way he gets back on his game is by playing. He's always came back with vengeance.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Osgood 11-1-1 now?

1.7 GAA.

19. BillLaimbeer

Good thing I picked him up off the waiver wire in our fantasy league!

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Word is Ozzy improved his "Butterfly" technic. Ozzy is still a team fav. And Dom can be a primadonna. I say play Dom so the Defense gets extra work. But not so much that he splits his groin again. This team is sick almost as sick as the Tigers will be.