This team needs a LEGIT center in the worst way

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 27, 2011.

1. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Seeing us last night, in comparision to a team that was not the Cleveland Cavaliers, it was incredibly obvious. We don't have a guy that can get us reliable easy back to the basket buckets down low (like David West - who we should have pursued). And we don't have a true big man that can clog the paint defensively...alter shots...and gobble boards (like Roy Hibbert).

I hate to be the one to say it, but Greg Monroe is a little overrated. He's a fine player, sure. But he's not what a lot of people have dreamed him up to be. He put up his points and rebounds last year...but a lot of those points and rebounds were uncontested-ish in blowout games.

In all reality, he's not a consistent low-post back to the basket scorer. He'll get his points down low in transition, when we have numbers, when he gets quick put-backs, or is on the recieving end of sweet passes. But in the half-court offense, all you can really go to him with is that 10 foot jumper, and that's not all that consistent. He doesn't have a back to the basket low post game. He can't drive. And his shot isn't that good. He's basically a big effort guy. Hopefully he develops his game further, but that's what he is right now. And defensively, he's just not that special of a player. He's not that big. He's not that athletic. He doesn't alter a lot of shots. He doesn't get a lot of boards. He doesn't clog the middle of the paint. He doesn't position himself as well as he should. He doesn't box out as well as he could.

This next off-season I think those should be priorities #1 and #2. A low post-scorer. And a low-post defender. Hopefully we can get both in one player. If we can't we'll need to add two.

C: ???
    PF: Monroe
    SF: Prince
    SG: Stuckey
    PG: Knight
    6th: C/PF/SF: Jerebko
    7th: SF/SG: Daye
    8th: PG: Bynum
    9th: SG: Gordon (amnesty/trade?)
    10th: PF: Villanueva (amnesty/trade?)
    11th: PF: Maxiel (amnesty/trade?)
    12th: PF: Macklin/SF: Singler
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

From the chat last night, I kind of assumed you aren't a Pistons fan but a Indy fan.
  3. Brap

Brap Starter

And I couldn't disagree with you more about Monroe. He's a keeper. But he does need help up front. We have Jerebko and nothing else up front.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

That's what happens when you draft a guard on a team full of them....

That what happens when you sign retreads, and pass on picking up legit big men.......

I hear Humphries had 21 and 16 his first night........It would been nice to at least read that JD tried to sign him.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...but other than that he's pretty good.
    FreshPrince22 likes this.
  6. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Monroe is legit, however, he needs help in a big time way. I am really fed up with Joe Dumars apathy and his inability, unwillingness and pragmatic behavior as evidence by his contentment with the team as is. The game last night was only a testament to what I envisioned the game last night as well as the season would be like.

Its almost like someone giving you a puzzle. You take all the pieces out of the unopened box, begin puttin it together, however, it is obvious that some of the pieces are missing because each time you pick up a piece and try to fit it because by visualizing it, it may just fit in that open space.

The pistons have a lot of spare pieces, but no one fits. There is no scheme and no rhyme or reason to this outfit that we call the pistons roster. Its really not a team but a group of individual pieces. its hard to explain what I see but hopefully someone out there is tracking with me and can describe it better than I have.

I am beginning to lose creditability that I once had in Joe and now am beginning to truly believe that he is lost as far as putting together a team.
    basketbills likes this.
  7. Nemo

The pieces of Rip, Billups, Sheed, Big Ben, and Tay made us believe that JD was a master puzzle builder. Hard to imagine a team winning it all without a legit superstar, but we did. And Hammonds JD gets the credit for putting those pieces together so well. Somehow...JD doesn't see the team's needs very clearly.

Instead of looking for the missing pieces...JD just went out and got a hammer.............
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Y'all are so impatient :6shoot:

What happens when a team is on top for as long as the Pistons were is exactly what happened to us. Joe's had exactly 2 months since the lockout ended to deal with his roster - a roster he wasn't allowed to touch or even hire a good coach for, for the previous 2 seasons.

Instead of going out like a whirling dervish and making moves just to make moves, I'd much rather allow Joe to take his time and make good moves when they present themselves. Forcing stuff will turn this team into a permanent joke franchise. If we take it nice and slow we'll add high lotto picks in 2012 and 2103, to a nice (potentially really nice) core of Knight, Monroe, JJ, Stuckey and hopefully, Daye.

The only way we're going to compete for championships, is to draft great players. Until our team builds again, that's the only way.

I'm just hoping we'll find ways to enjoy the long ride back to the top, while we're on that ride. I remember loving watching the last two championship rosters build from nothing into greatness.

In the meantime, we're going to suck.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've backed Joe all along but he has lost me THIS year.
    I don't buy the argument that he's only had 2 months to deal with this roster. He actually had the luxury of having much longer to think about the two biggest decisions that he managed to make in free agency this year; ...and he decided to sign Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey instead of moving the team FORWARD in a new and more effeective direction.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think, for the most part, fans have been exceedingly patient with Joe. We have been waiting for him to recapture the magic. He said it wasn't rebuilding...it was reloading. He reloaded with Ben Gordon, Charlie V, the corpse of Tayshaun and Rodney Stuckey....and he seems content to let this moldering mess play out the season. If I had a sense of some plan coming together...of a team nucleus being carefully crafted together with clever trades and shrewd drating...that would be great.

But Joe seems to have lost his desire....can't blame it on being handcuffed anymore.
    linwood and BallDon'tLie like this.
  11. Nemo

Last rebuilding involved picking up Ben Wallace in 2000...we got Billups as a free-agent, Hamilton in a trade, and drafted Tay all in the summer of 2002. Tay didn't play much til near the end of his first year.
    by 2004...we were champions. All the pieces fit........
    They go from 30-52 to consecutive 50 win seasons.........
    Certainly done with more than just the draft.........

Then............rebuilding / reloading #2
    We sign Bynum and Kwame in summer of 2008......
    We sign Gordon and CV in the summer of 2009........
    We now retain Tay and Stuckey....
    We let go of Billups, Hamilton, and Rasheed and got nobody(Iverson was a nobody)
    Will these pieces really fit.........
    They go from 58-24 to 39 wins...27 wins, and 30 wins..........in 3 seasons.
    According to WiKi...we're in our 4th year of rebuilding....this is not something new....
    Well, except for that new owner guy................
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

When I think of a team "rebuilding" I think of adding players that leads to a steady improvement of the team. I don't think this team has even hit bottom yet. Maybe this year will be the very bottom, and then fans can look forward to a legitimate rebuild.
  13. max

max All-Star

It would be nice if we could find some way in to that expected LA/Orlando trade where Bynum ( LA's center ) and Gasol are on the the block. Although I don't know if anyone is really going to want one of our players for a legit big.

Monroe plays more like a PF and JJ is kind of a tweener on the defensive end. Looks more like a 3 than a 4.
  14. BallDon'tLie

If Joe could somehow pull off a "Bynum for Bynum" swap with the Lakers, I'd be on my way back to Camp Dumards.
    ...where the popcorn is always buttery and cel service is always at full-bars on the old Blackberry.
  15. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Look man, I would LOVE it if we were the worst team in the league and were going to possibly get the #1 overall pick. But - ONCE AGAIN - we are probably the 10th worst team in the league. As we have been since that stupid Chauncey trade. AND WE'RE STUCK HERE. Not good enough to make the playoffs (let alone contend). Not bad enough to get a star rookie. We've been stuck here for 3 or 4 years. It looks like we're going to be stuck here for a few more years. This organization has no direction, and no hope.

Hopefully Gores fires Joe-D ASAP, before his leadership is allowed to waste another season.
  16. BallDon'tLie

$15 Million per year = Prince & Stuckey
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If we stop focusing on the negatives, here is some shrewd GM:ing - we have a $40M lineup in Stuck - Bengo - Prince - Chaz - JMax. And the best part? Joe managed to get this crew tied up longterm! ($45M if we add Rip as an absent sixth man)
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben Gordon is only getting the equivalent of 20 Silverdomes this year if that makes you feel any better.
    BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

Twitter reporting Fesenko signing 1 year deal with Golden State.

We sure could've used him. This makes it even more likely that Pistons are in running for worst record in the league.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Ben Gordon+Prince+Stuckey=$26.6 million this year.

Jason Terry+ Shawn Marion+Jason Kidd=$27.6 million

Mike Conley+Rudy Gaye+ OJ Mayo=$25 million

Looks like the Pistons are paying about the average going rate for a couple of guards and a small forward.

Of course, those teams still manage to have a couple of decent bigs to help out...