This team needs a LEGIT center in the worst way

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

This is where I've been for the last several years. We are fighting for guys who aren't worth keeping.
    Chicago didn't want Gordon and were happy we took him off their hands. How many people were bidding for him............nobody that I read about. Same with Stuckey.

We've invested too much money in mediocrity..........

That's all on JD..........
    linwood likes this.
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

he's was correct. there simply aren't very many quality centers in a league this size. do most of you folks really think there aren't about 25 teams looking for that perfect center right now? if you're going to judge this team on its ability to recruit and keep a top notch 5 ya'll better start looking for another team to follow. jd's far more likely to get another bad ass 4 in the near future than a primo 5. when the team matures a bit and finds its footing, maybe we entice a FA, but not now, not yet. remember the title and six year run was all made with two bad ass pf's (wasn't a center a'tween them)..
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree, G-man. You know it's not easy to find a top notch 5 when Jermaine O'Neal, Kwame Brown, and Darko Milicic are all on NBA rosters.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Center is a "defensive" position now.
    Get some bigs that can clog the middle, protect the lane and snag some boards and you're ahead of the game.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Is Dale "Tazer" Davis still around? Even as an old guy, I feel he could still give you six hard fouls for the vets min.
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Looking at this from a macro level perspective and assuming every team spends the same, draft, negotiate and scout players on opposing teams equally good and all that theoretic other crap needed to make a model work, the optimal way to construct a contender is to build it with picks and max contract players because of their capped salaries (they are on average paid less than their market value). The consequence of this would be that the players whose paycheck isn’t limited by any regulations on average is paid over their market value. Those players should be traded for picks because of the information asymmetry in the former but not the latter (the franchise trading the player has a lot more knowledge about the player but a pick is a known quantity, i.e. a 15th pick is a 15th pick but the player could be a lemon because of reasons known only to the staff who’s meeting him on a day-to-day basis).

In practice it’s more about who’s the best dice roller.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Double D and Sheed could un-retire and show up completley baked and they'd be our two best defensive big dudes right now.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Maybe we can trade CV for Dale, Rasheed, and a QP.
  9. Nemo

For me.......a QP = a Quarter Pounder w-cheese. :burgereater:...............

At this point, I'd go CV for a QP.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I did buy the "Joe's hands were tied" argument until a month ago. What he did when the so-called shackles came off makes me wonder if he really has a grand plan. He has done nothing to even attempt to fill the gaps in the roster. He resigned Jerebko, which was pretty much a given. He bought out Rip, which also was something that just HAD to be done. But resigning Prince was a head-scratcher. So was resigning Stuckey IMO. You can make a supportive argument for both signings, but it is quite obvious that he overvalues his players. We've all talked about the great summer of 2013 where both Gordon, CV and Maxiell come off the books and we can finally start getting on with this business of contending. But I fear that Joe will just give all of them extensions and/or new contracts.

Also, another argument in Joe's favor that keeps popping up is "if not Joe, then who?", implying that there are no better GMs out there than Joe. Well, there is this guy called Kevin Pritchard who is currently not employed IIRC. He is a classy guy who is a damn good GM. Moreover, he has experience dealing with an involved billionaire owner, and therefore might be a better fit in our current situation than Joe D.

For the record, I love Joe D. He was one of my favorite players, and he has done a great job as a GM during his tenure here. He was brilliant in taking a horrid mess and building something great out of it. But, it is clear that dismantling something that works and rebuilding something new isn't his forte. I doubt he even realizes that his attempts to recreate a contender left him with a similar mess that he did such an admirable job of fixing when he started out. It is time to move on.
  11. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I won't quit on Joe yet, And I have houndred reasons to do that but not yet.

I think that after our next 9 games when we are going to end up (2-8). He will be in trade talks with every f'ing team.
  12. Nemo

too late.....teams will smell desperation, and offer nothing.

timing is everything..........although, I'd be happy with any attempt towards improvement.

re-signing players from a 30-52 team just doesn't cut it.........
  13. S.J.

I'm not expecting to improve via trade. We can't do that.

But we can improve via Draft picks.. and we should have 2 top 7 picks next year.

I'm saying trade CV, Ben Gordon, Maxiell, Prince for draft picks to bad teams like Phoenix, Charlotte, Toronto, Cleveland.

But that can't be done right now, it must be done a few weeks before deadline.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

That's only possible if we first trade Dumars to one of those teams.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Every time that Dumars tries to react to the "new" NBA, he makes the team worse.

He overreacted to the rules changes and the NBA's desire to see more scoring. He overreacted to the supposed death of the big man. It seems like every year, there was something that he was doing that was different than what worked in the past because of a changing landscape.

I really like the point that somebody made earlier about the Clippers getting CP. If you develop potential for serious winning, then FA's will want to join you and guys will maneuver to get traded to you. Without the sucking, then they don't get Blake. Without Blake, they don't get CP or Chauncey (who would have bluffed at retirement). Despite Detroit's unglamorous appeal, it was a preferred destination in the days of the Eastern Conference dominance.

So, we shouldn't be too worried about grabbing stars now. We should be building to make a move for them in about 3 years. If our foundation is attractive, we'll get key pieces later.

The best way to build is to get the vets out of the way (buy-out of Rip was a good start.... but the resigning of Tay was not), develop the young guys, get a top 3 draft pick (don't pick a bust), and go from there.
  16. S.J.

17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

18. raxrets

raxrets Starter

In fact, MOST of NBA teams need a legit center in a worst way. Hard to get, very expensive to keep.
  19. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

What I want to know is why 6'11" is still not big enough for a center these days?
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Are you lobbying to make Austin Daye our franchise center?