This team needs a LEGIT center in the worst way

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 27, 2011.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Prince is starting out rather badly and I don't buy his argument about defensive team confusion. He is the most analytical person on the team, but he looks disinterested. Absolutely no leadership on this team, and it might behoove us in not confusing a rookie's enthusiasm for leadership qualities.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Prince, like Gordon, is totally wasted on this team. These guys need to be on good teams to be useful.

We have probably forgotten how good Tay can be because the Pistons have been so bad recently, but he is not going to make a bad team good.

The Pistons would be better off setting the $$ they spend on these guys on fire during the pre-game intros.
  3. pass99

I was thinking about this problem of obtaining some qualified and solid-type centers. There seems to be a gap or perhaps a player role transition happening out of the ranks of 3, 4 or 5 positions. Certainly we are seeing tweener type (2-3-4) positions that pattern their types from LBJ, Wade, Durant, etc. Along with the latter is an outstanding 1-2 guard-type. The rest are, although important fillers, just selective fill-ins to balance out positions as defensive roles against opponents.
  4. G-man

G-man Starter

man, you're a tough crowd. this is basically a brand new team trying to learn on the run due to the short off-season.
    add to that brand new coach, assitant coaches and schemes.
    add to that brand new owners that came in from the cold.
    i'm probably one of the humpers of the brothers wife's harshest critics, but i'm old enough to know that a little patience is in order here.
    they will lose some ugly games, they're supposed too, thats the scheme of things in the real world. but the key pieces will grow their games right in front of your eyes if you watch with a bit of a neutral eye, the others? dumars will be moving them. the one thing that you can count on is that the humper's team brings fluidity to the table, it's their nature. triggers will get pulled.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

That would actually have been pretty cool, we could have set fire to 20 000 $100 bills during each intro this season.
  6. pass99

So true. I am also sure that you have picked up... that almost all of Gore's most recent administrative add-ons have been about the analytical route (similar to Money ball). I know that this sets up gritting teeth-time for some on this forum; but, my question is what type of hold JD has on Gores (if any at all) and whether Gores has an internal approach for certain abilities (non analytical) that JD brings to-the-table. JD does bring much, but is he becoming his own worst enemy?
  7. G-man

G-man Starter

if you fairly assume that any given point there are roughly 6 true talented banging centers on nba floors, you have to know that the four teams in the nba that happily prance around well above the hard cap, Miami, NY, Dallas and the Lakers will be in control of 4 of them. if not now, as soon as the situation presents itself. that leaves pretty slim pickens for the remainder of the league. and i know i'm smokin something good to even suggest the number 6!
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What about a 7-foot guy like Andrea Bargnani, who gets you 20+ ppg, 6 rpg, a couple of assists and 3-pointers each game? Does he count in your top 6?
  9. Mogilny

At any given point except for now? Miami and Dallas hardly have a center, NY got a good but not a great one in Chandler and the Lakers center is either injured or suspended most of the time.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I believe there are a good number of players like that in the NBA. Some were available, and JD simply passed up on that need. He even let Wilcox and that other slug go........with no alternatives brought in.
  11. pass99

As you have assumed before, there is a reality factor and the owners damn near scuttled the entire season over this imbalance. It is still there and will continue to be there. I have always had a nagging problem about the selection process that goes on within the NBA. You need a different system of selecting qualified individuals that fit your mold (culture). Instead of a cylop eye via draft selections, what about other directions. Case in point:

In watching our first games with Cleveland; I notice in the first game an unusual talent that displayed: athleticism, certain untaught smoothness while facing the basket, quickness in response in everything happening around him and a beautiful touch from any position from the floor. This fellows name is Somardo Samuels (6-9, 260) out of Louisville (age 22). He absolutely destroyed us.

Oh yes, one more thing: he went un-drafted. Cleveland and our Pistons are in the same left-over situations. If you are going to be a viable franchise, you must be able to expand your selective horizons. Cleveland connected and the Pistons did not. Get my point?
  12. Nemo

A "diamond in the rough" lands for those who are looking for them.
    I think we are looking for A "bowling ball in the rough"...........
    linwood likes this.
  13. G-man

G-man Starter

i like Bargnani. i should have been clearer regarding the 4 teams, they make it near impossible to seriously take down a class a free agent center. the money, market size and added publicity make it very, very hard to even get their agents on the phone. they're the first choice locations of agents for all the obvious reasons. we won our last championship on the back of mid-february trade for a bad ass PF that no one else was seriously pursuing. he didn't arrive willingly. here's the reality, it's literally been decades since a bonafide stud FA that hadn't already been on the team (re-sign), signed a contract with detroit. we're talking all the way back to trader jacks days. so if we aren't growing them, then resigning them, they only come in trades, then you have to figure out a way to keep them. don't take my word for it, check for yourself ..http://www.nba.com/pistons/history/transactions_alltime.html
  14. G-man

G-man Starter

scouting remains an issue for detroit. i'm thinkin it wouldn't be surprising to see chris hunter brought up out'a ft. wayne (mad ants) later this winter if he keeps playing strong. that is the point of being affiliated with the nbdl. http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/chris_hunter/career_stats.html
  15. Mogilny

Fesenko is on the market again after failing a medical. He's a tall guy with good defensive skills and maybe Kanter can work his magic again and bring back the 2010-11 2.0 ppg /2.0 rpg-Fesenko.
    coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  16. Brap

Brap Starter

Watching Monroe last night convinces me more and more that he's going to be a force in this league. He's very well equiped to be a hub center for us - a very versatile offensive game including strong mid-range shooting, very skilled rolling to the basket, very intelligent, great passer. Knight and Monroe are going to put an incredible amount of pressure on defenses in the future. It'll take them another year or two, but these two guys are going to allow the Pistons to build highly efficient offenses around them for the next decade (after the growing pains you're going to have with a 20 year old PG and very young center).

I really don't know who the Pistons will surround them with. Will Stuckey fit? Will Daye develop? Will we trade Bengo? I assume JJ's a fit for sure, but what position will he land at? Lots and lots of questions that get really complex depending on who we draft in 2012 and 2013. But I love having a PG and C that I know are fixtures for a long time.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The biggest thing going from Monroe last night was the comments coming from there announcers... MR HOMER himself who I think has never said a good thing about any non celtic commented "he's going to be a player". Big men take time to grow... almost as much as a PG takes... there are going to be alot of bumps on the road this and probably next year with Knight and Monroe... but two years from now with another 1 or 2 high draft picks we should be ready to compete for the Eastern Conf, just about the time I think Miami will start to fall apart... great timing IMO.
  18. Mogilny

I don't think Monroe and Knight will be players to build a team around but I do think they could become great pieces to complement the players we'll draft this year and the next. If we get a star in the upcoming drafts we'll be in a pretty good situation to add some free agents to a talented roster when our current marquee free agents contracts expire in 3 years. It would have been even better if we didn't still have Prince on the roster though but atleast his contract will be an expiring contract.
  19. Nemo

Gores must be able to see long range in his type of business.
    My guess is that with the Pistons, he purposefully drives the tank.....
    ..........til we draft that keeper 5 who we build the team around the next 10 years.
  20. pass99

Excellent points. I do agree that the reality of the situation is that the development time factor, can not, nor will it provide consistent talents that will revolve around all positions that a team needs to hover around consistent second-third round playoffs. An organizational mixture is a must revolving around:
    • Elite scouting and and selectively organization around certain local and global regions.
    • The owner must be able to buy his way into selective company. I have never met a high-powered women with amazing innate talent, that did not want me to teach her the game of golf. They are very much aware of selective ceilings. There are ways around it.
    • Build on your cultural heritage. Toughness, even though it may not be overpowering and still being developed...but never, never, never, lose on your home court. And if so...there will be blood trails.
    • Understand the cognitive smarts that propaganda plays on today's youth. When coaching I always new the value of athletic heritage and from a long-ago time, could consistently depend on the balance of parental boundaries not breached. Not now. It seems that the higher the level of recruits, the more obsequious the devotion from parent to child. For sure, you need some staff person as beneficial psychologist. In this latter sense, I have always wondered about the role (or perhaps, today's lack thereof) that Mike Abdenour, Arney Kander and super scout Will Robinson have played in the teams development of youth-maturity.
    • I could go on. In a sense, Gores needs some heavy perceptions. Who knows.