This Years Slam Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Abe Froemen, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

The only thing that might make this worth watching this year is 5'9" Nate Robinson (I'm having visions of Spud Webb) because the feild is weak again.

Who is in it
    #1 Josh Smith, The only real dunker in the competition Imo
    #2 Hakim Warrick, I'm already getting sleepy
    #3 Andre Iguodala, Not getting excited yet
    #4 Nate Robinson, His hops is unbelievable but can he hang with Smith

Who is missing
    #1 Lebron, To good for the contest he turned it down
    #2 Vince, The dunk contest is what made him famous
    #3 Jason Richardson, Its not really a dunk contest without him
    #4 Desmond Mason, Imo if you have won it before try to win it again
    #5 Richard Jefferson, I'm sure they would let Kidd throw him oops
    #6 D-Wade, He has more impressive dunks than A.I.2
    #7 Kevin Martin, plays for sac. and has nice hops
    #8 Super Dupe, We know he has the hops he just has none of the pub

I am sure I am forgetting some guys (I left Tmac off cuz he has chronic back issues) and Kobe (they only score up to 50) but I just don’t get why the NBA doesn’t pay out a bigger amount to get the guys to do it. This is copied from the NBA site...
    "The contestants in the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk will be competing for $89,750 in prize money, with $35,000 going to the winner. Second place is worth $22,500, third place and fourth place will receive $16,125 each."

When I think about the slam dunk contest I automatically think Jordan Vs Dominique and the duel. I guess those days are long gone because the players already make so much money off their paychecks that a measly $35,000 bucks is not worth showing up for, or getting embarrassed if they miss a dunk.
    I remember the dunk contest was the highlight of the all-star game for me. I was mad as hell when they cancelled it, and thrilled that they brought it back. I will still watch it but every year it gets harder and harder to do so. If David Stern is so smart why is he letting the slam dunk contest die such a shamefull death? Why is the NBA not paying the players to do what made it famous.

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

also missing: darvin ham ;D

i don't understand it either...guys like lebron could (if this is even possible) increase their marketability even further. why this is so unappealing to so many players baffles me

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's the event that "makes" a reputation (or destroys it in the Birdman's case). Guys like LeBron and Kobe having nothing to gain by entering this, and losing just makes them seem like chumps.

You'll notice that most of the guys competing are young bucks and not participating in the big All-Star game.

Don't sleep on Hakim Warrick, he's got game. One of those under sized power forwards that can jump out of the gym.

4. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

It is a shame that the Dunk contest is looked down upon by todays NBA superstars. It was never that way with all NBA superstars back in the day.

Lebron was already King of the world so he saw no need to be embarass if he would lose in the Dunk contest, but it would be nice if he had at least compete in one.

The Dunk contest has lost alot of luster and most of the players who don't compete say that there is not enough dunks to go around its all the same. Well that is just an excuse and when it comes down to it, it is why the Dunk Contest has lost its luster. Its for the new guys on the block to try to make a name for themselves ala Fred Jones, Josh Smith(last year champ), and Jason Richardson.:P

5. Abe Froemen

R.I.P. Slam Dunk
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/phil_taylor/02/01/hot.button/index.html

"The dunk is dead. Not dead as in disappeared, of course, but dead as in ho-hum, so what, who cares? It died of natural causes -- it just grew old and tired, and far too commonplace."

The NBA makes millions off of guys who dunk. They made the NBA into a giant by selling fans the images of guys like Jordan Vince Kobe Lebron all soaring through the air and throwin down nasty dunks. Almost every basketball poster I have ever seen in my life was of a guy dunking. The majority of basketball cards are the same way. Air Jordans little pic of Jordan dunking sold millions of shoes. Why not put the contest on life support and pay the guys enough to bring back the big names.

6. mwatson

mwatson Second Round Draft Pick

I can't stand Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson, but I'd definitely go out of my way to watch them in the Dunk contest.

I'm simply floored that the total purse in less than 90K -- the league probably makes twice that with the first row of VIPs sitting courtside.

Here's a random Slam Dunk contest fact I just learned via Wikipedia: "Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are the only players to have won a NBA championship and a Slam Dunk championship." Who knew?

7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

hmm..I was thinking Dr. J...

but then I rememberd that he hadn't actually won a slam dunk contest.

8. Abe Froemen

Another weak outing. The dunk contest should not be aired live period If they want to get people exited about it they need to edit the whole dunk contest down to just the made dunks, they could have more people in it and it would still be on the air about the same time. Dont get me wrong the dunks were nice but dont show me 12 trys for 1 dunk. Nate did not deserve to win by what I saw AI2 should have saved the behind the backboard dunk for last. In general I wish I had just watched the highlights at NBA.com and saved myself 2 hours.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you block out the 20 missed dunks, there were some pretty good ones in there. AI's behind the backboard was amazing. And Nate Robinson's dunk over Spudd was equally good.

The between the legs and the windmill are dunking cliches at this point.

10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I think Iguadala's dunk might have been the best EVER!

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Andre wuz robbed

12. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I second that. Nate took 50 freaking tries to make one dunk. I am impressed by his ups but he did not throw it down with power. Thats what makes a dunk the intensity of the throw down!!!:nod:

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

wELL pRIDE...here's my list of the Best ALL-STAR dunks I've seen:

1. Vince's spin and slam
    2. Vince's elbow dunk(i had my mouth open for 5 minutes and SAID NUTTIN!)
    3. JRichardson behind his head was nasty
    4. AI's was incredible
    5. Stansbury of liberty
    6. Vince and TMac
    7. NateRob over Da Spud
    8. The Jordan sidewinder
    9. Spuds 360
    10. Fred Jones goof up
    my bruddah

14. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what about Ceballo's fake blind dunk? Or Darell Armstrong's layup?
    Did you know that REex Chapman (!!!) participated in the Slam Dunk Contest? I though he only knew how to shoot 3's.
    For this contest, I saw the highlights- amazing ups by Richardson. Great dunk by that guy with the complicate name from the Sixers from behind the backboard or behind his back (!).
    I would have loved to have seen Richard Jefferson or AI participating in the Contest. Never got the chance.