Thus far, Joe-D's screwed up this off-season..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 7, 2013.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I've said prior that Knight or Calderon needs a big time SG. For once JD did what I said.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Who did they get?
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Just an 8 pick. Big time shooter from Georgia somewhere.
  4. BillLaimbeer

He may be good at some point. I don't think he will start this year, though.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Who can beat him out ? It's his job to lose.
  6. BillLaimbeer

Stuckey.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

lol surely you jest.
    I could hope Stuck beats him out, meaning Stuck made the leap to above avg.
  8. BillLaimbeer

This is not what I want, but I'm afraid this is what will happen. If I had my way, the Pistons would simply release Stuckey yesterday.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So JD still isn't out of the woods.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Bingo!
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'll put in my 2 cents worth. Ok, so Roscoe thinks it more like a tenth of a cent. Still, here goes. Getting Smith, I heard the rumors, could not believe it. Dared not. But we got him. Way more free agent help than I imagined. To me, Josh Smith is way better player than "the other" AI. Forget fit, lets see other teams try to stop us now.

Mitchell. A lot of teams got scared for nothing, and made a serious mistake in passing on this guy. For him to on the board when Joe got to pick - unbelievable. Nothing Joe did per say, just again, a lot of stupid mistakes by the teams picking before us. This was a great pick, really a lotto pick, with a mid 2nd round pick.

KCP. The more I see of him, the more I like him. Yeah, just 3 summer league games so far. But I watched the other possibility, Burke, play in a whole tournament, and would not ever even consider for a moment getting Burke over KCP, never, ever. Besides, hey, the point that whooped Michigan, whooped Burke, we got with the 56th pick.

Siva should be on the roster, even if he only plays sparingly. In practices, you want guys who can run the plays right. Sure makes practice more productive. Siva will help the team, and might end up being a valuable sub in certain situations for us. (Like closing out a game where we are ahead, and just want 2 things, good D, and good execution on the offensive end so we use all the clock without turning the ball over.) A useful player at 56 is a good pick.

Resigning Bynum. This I do not like. What we lost for that is English. However, to be fair, I see Middleton as a better player than English on both ends of the floor. The fact that we drafted KCP, and added Datome as well, means we should not miss English too much. And there is Billups who if we are lucky will be doing more than just coaching our youngns.

The Billups acquisition. Can't judge that one really until we all see if he can get healthy and contribute. It can't hurt having a mentor around like Billups though. As long as this coach is not into any seriously stupid stuff like using the presence of a vet to forget to develop young players, Billups being here is fine with me.

Keeping CV. Joe did try to trade him. If he is still on the roster, oh well, he comes off the books soon enough. The only seriously stupid thing involved with CV, is if we play him and let the other team waltz to the hoop game after game. There is no reason to play the guy with the following 4 guys playing the bigs position for us: Mitchell, Drummond, Smith, Monroe. (Read: Rebounding all night long, excellent defense --shooting, let the guards shoot the ball. Like, don't get Rondo for instance.)

Keeping Stuckey. I like Stuckey. Has his good, and bad points as a point guard. But you know, I watched game after game with him starting for us, and kept noting the same thing, Stuckey kept managing to equal or exceed each opposing point guard he went up against. I like that he gets to the line. I like that he adds interior D for us with his size. I like the fact its kind of hard to shoot over him. Hey, so he gets lost on picks too much. People have got to watch out for this and help him out, with people smartly rotating as needed to keep everyone covered. Its not the end of the world to lose a guy on a pick if your team can pull off a good switch to negate what happened. And I will say, with this roster, we got a whole lot of defensive versatility. Sure, he is not a natural point guard, and Knight too has his problems coming up with plays for a whole game. So I say simple, just use Stuckey and Knight about the same amount, 24 minutes each, so each only needs to have 24 minutes worth of material prepared.

Other: The idea that JJ or Singler can actually defend anyone? Neither should be expected to have any kind of role on this team. I surely want them to have a fair shot, but with our roster full of guys who can get the job done on D, I sure can't see either of these two manage to fairly beat anyone out of minutes. To me, those roster spots would be better serving us if we found guys like the 6-6 Tony Mitchell who just played against us for Boston in the summer league.
    mikhail1973, kpaav and brofmfa like this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Lee, assuming this new coach is not clueless, should this current Pistons team make the 2013-14 playoffs?
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lee, I think you're a valuable member of this community who creates a lot of content that many people enjoy and your unique character traits have made you something of a legendary figure around here.

I think a lot more of your two cents than you think I do.

That said, I don't necessarily endorse anything that anyone says.
    mikhail1973, coynejeremy and brofmfa like this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True Dat!
    mikhail1973 and kpaav like this.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ahhhh yes! The "Idiot" GM's who have an agenda against winning!
    roscoe36 likes this.
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think the boss guy doesn't even endorse his own posts he's so fair :P I do wish you'd express your views more often though.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  17. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Josh Smith = top 3 off-season ever??

JOSH SMITH.

Last time I saw him in The Palace, he was sitting on the bench with three towels over his head for the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter (coaches decision).

...how desperate Pistons fans have become.
  18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

But which ones were better?
  19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I took that in jest :)

And if Burke turns out to be the next Austin Rivers?

I really like Jerebko. But I just don't really know what he adds to the team at this point. We have cheaper, better guys on the roster. At $4.5m I don't know how much trade value he has either...
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Waterboarding
    Austin is 6'4" not a fair comparison. Though he did get a win over us. As for his numbers, Burke could easily do that as with Knight. But it's not about HIS stats it's about his WINS and NOH has a long way to go.
    357 to the rescue
    Stuck loses court vision once he charges the hoop.