TIGER CHAT 2009

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I don't like the fact the Tiger's manager Leyland guaranteed a victory...for the Twins. He basically told his team that the Twins were going to win all their remaining games...on Friday. To me, that has had an effect on the Tigers.
    He's chosen the wrong tact to inspire his team for this last series.

Also, what's up with Cabrera's eye? Wonder if he got a clubhouse punch?
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No, I meant they will be OK..like they will still get paid,,,and their plane won't crash...and stuff like that. ;)

As far as the pennant...well, they are toast. :pound:
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I really hope with every pop up, with every strikeout , with every runner left on base, with every irrelevant Ordonez SINGLE, with every goose egg on the scoreboard, with every second we HAD to start a kid like Figaro in the first place, with every Inge and Laird strikeout, with every smirk on Ozzie's face, with every puff on Leyland's cigarette........

I HOPE EVRY ONE OF YALL WERE THINKING "DAMN...HQ IS GONNA RIP THEM TOMORROW!!!!!!"

it aint even worth it....

The bible says: The race is not given to the swift or to the strong but to who can endure to the end!"

i dedicate that passage to the twins.....and from now on, tiger folks, WE ARE THE TWINKIES...NOT MINNESOTA!
  4. Darth Tater

Yeah, uh huh, that's what we were thinking about. What you were going to say about it. The Tigers were probably focused on it too which fully explains why they choked! :pound:
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

" I KNEWWWW IT!".....

maybe I can take the red eye down to the clubhouse and kick some arse! maybe not...

I tried it with Cabrera and u see what happened to him (0-4)..I guess I'm too hard.
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Tigers will lose 3-1....Twins win 6-4.
  7. Darth Tater

In Verlander we trust?

I think we lose it Monday or Tuesday...or whenever the extra game is played.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

thats the familiar look of a guy that fell out drunk!
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tigers lead 3-0 at the end of three.

Tigers can win this one despite RBI leaders Cabrera and Inge stinking it up....but with JV's penchant for giving up at least one dinger a game, 2-3 more runs are needed to extend the Tiger season.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I'm using my old, tried and true reverse psychology trick!
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

to all the goofs who say losses in May or June dont matter...I'll see you in HELL!!!!!!!!!...That is, TUESDAY at the MetroDomE!!! RATS!!!!!!!!!
  12. LA Dre

DT your post of 8/31.....would mean that the Twins lose their last game of the season either today or Tuesday and the Tigers sneak in.
  13. Darth Tater

Yeah, but I don't think it was supposed to be quite this tough. Oh, well...
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Despite the win today, what a poor finish for the Tigers. The division should have been theirs and theirs alone. However, I can't deny that the Twins are the better team right now. Only slightly better. Either way, I can't see either team challenging the Stinkees. 86-76 final record. Given the team's payroll, really an underachievement. This team has too many bad contracts it seems (Robertson, Ordonez, Willis, Bonderman), and this does not bode well for next season.

In other news, why didn't Rayburn play the past three games? What is Leyland thinking. He needs to quit playing Clete Thomas. Dude can't hit right now.
  15. LA Dre

Yep every game in the regular season is a meaningful game and depending what happens Tuesday, the turning point of the season would be the first 12 days of the September when the Tigers open the month by sweeping three game series from both Cleveland and Toronto to go up 7 games and then they GOT swept by the Royals in the next three games.....yep those same Royals that are being swept by the Twins this weekend.... and to top if off, the Royals showed up and took 2 out of 3 the next week from the Tigers...

We shoulda -coulda done better vs the two teams that were chasing us, but to lose 5 out of six vs the last place team Royals down the stretch means that you do not deserve to be in playoffs.....

Also I question some of Leylands management decisions not only for the whole season, but this past week. Starting Figaro? Well guess there was no one else, but I may have went with Miner instead.

Also leaving Raburn on the bench the past two games and leaving Polanco on the bench in the last game with the Twins??
  16. Nemo

He's resting players for the playoffs...
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Apparently, you are wrong, your OLDness.

A-Rod homers twice, drives in 7 in 1 inning - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

I briefly looked but couldn't find the reason they played only 161 games. I didn't bother looking to see which other team played 161.

2002 New York Yankees Schedule by Baseball Almanac
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In 1988, the Mets, Pirates, and Braves each played only 160 games. The Mets won the East by a mile ahead of the Pirates, and the Braves were dead last by another mile in the West, so the missed games made no difference.
  19. Nemo

Need some predicting for Tuesday's game.

I'll say 17-6...Tigers. :winner_first_h4h: :greenapple: :cheerleader:
  20. LA Dre

For those out of towners without FSD or MLB network, the game will be televised on TBS Tuesday @5PM EDT...which means we won't be cursed by the ESPN jinx....Will the pressure be on the Tigers who have been in first place for 4 months or on the Twins, who are now expected to win in their own dome??

Hopefully the real Miguel Cabrera, who has been hiding at home for the past 4 games travels to Minnesota with the team. While Maggs was been getting on base for the past three games, including 4 times today, Cabrera has not knocked him in once...in fact Ordonez has a 12 game hitting streak with 22 hits, but has only scored 4 times because the guys who have been hitting behind him in most of those games, have been an ineffective in getting the big hit or even getting on base..

During that 12 game span, MC does has 12 hits, but was of 0 for 11 in the Sox series and only knocked in 1 run the Twins series, a solo shot in the Tigers 6-5 win over the Twins in the second game of the doubleheader last Tuesday.

Not only will the Tigers need a great game from Porcello, the big issue will be if they can get some output from their big 3 team leaders in HR's & RBI. For the Sox series they were shut down with the exception of maggs, as none of the batters in the line-up behind him could knock him in.

While was Ordonez 7-11 in the Sox series, even his hits didn't really do anything as he had only one RBI and scored only 1 run...meanwhile check out the guys who batted behind him:
    Cabrera, 0-11, and no RBI
    Guillen 1-10, one RBI
    Inge 1-11 & no RBI
    Granderson 1-11 and no RBI