Tiger Chat 2010

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tigers get no breaks in MLB...umps take away perfect games, commissioner upholds it, umps make bad calls like in the no hit game the other night and JL gets suspended for trying to argue and suck on sunflower seeds.

They will probably get swept by the Rays as they are to slow and bats just die at the wrong time. The second half JL curse is in affect...
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This is a bad team now after all the injuries. Tigers must be league leaders in grounding into double plays and stranding runners on third with less than two outs. They can't ger any timely hits and the pitchers cannot hold opponents in the innings after the offense scores. Boesch is just lost, and there is no one in the minors who can step in and contribute. I don't think even the best manager could help this team at this point.
    Dombrowski has to look ahead and plan for the free agency with some big contracts coming off the books after the season is over. He has to add more speed and better fielding.
  3. LA Dre

They are definitely going no where fast....they are 7th in the majors in grounding into DPs and the teams they are chasing, the Twins are 1st and the Sox are 5th. They just seem to be step slow in everything

They are 25th in the majors in stolen bases with 42, while the Rays the team that has kicked their behind the past three nights is first with 129...

For pitching they lead the lead in one positive stat: 83% save percentage...5 blown saves in 29 ops. But.... those 29 save ops in the least amount of all 30 teams. They also lead the majors in giving up the most triples with 29...

The chances of Boesh being the ROY is fading fast and Cabrera getting MVP or the triple crown will be a challenge too.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Comerica Park is built for triples, irregardless of the team. Everything else you mention is pretty depressing, though. :(
  5. LA Dre

Another day, another loss as the Tigers get swept by the Rays..losing this afternoon 4-2. Tiger batters struck out 12 times including 3 each by Jackson and Cabrera and left 9 runners stranded.

Porcello struck out 8 Rays and held them to 6 hits, but they managed to push four runs across the plate, something we had a hard time doing all week getting outscored 19-8 in the four games.

So a team that was in first place and 10 games over .500 the day before the all star break began is now 1 game over .500 after going 3 and 12 since, including two four game sweeps by the Indians and Rays....

Looks like we have the same issues as the Pistons had with injuries, but I believe it is finally time to change skippers if they fade this time as they are already 5.5 back now and counting. :yellowprison:
  6. mikhail1973

Cabrera seems to be checking out
    Why Perralta didn't even get to pinch hit?
    I think it is time for Leyland to retire and bring someone new who can evaluate the players for the remainder of the season as winning seems to be an afterthought at this point.
  7. LA Dre

I concur Mikhail.:mad:...the game may have passed JL by
  8. BillLaimbeer

Cabrera was not himself today. Hungover?
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

WoW ! I was just thinking JL should go just to prove "no excuses".
    As for MC or any good hitter, I would rather see them go down swinging than let the Ump "FTITA". Good hitters can hit "balls".
  10. mikhail1973

I was just thinking about Leyland. He is not a bad manager, but he is wrong for this particular team. He is a players manager and would do well managing egos, however, this team needs someone who would actually get involved. Look at Twins - they are limited in payroll and always have lots of youngsters, yet they are always competitive. I wish Tigers could fine someone like Gardenhire (one can dream).
    Also, they badly need a hitting coach. Whoever is there now obviously not doing the job. And the pitching, while not great, has been good enough for the team to be competitive.
  11. LA Dre

Though they are older than me and look younger than Leyland, Willie Horton and Al Kaline sit up in the booth at all or most home games. I am sure they can teach somebody how to swing a bat or improve their eye coordination.:sssh:
  12. BillLaimbeer

Lloyd McClendon gave Peralta a few tips and he is 3-for-4 with 2 HR in his first game as a Tiger.
  13. LA Dre

Looks like Valverde has lost it,,,three bad outtings in a row and getting no love from umps. I am shocked the ump called that last ball a strike. 57 pitches ...he won't be able to pitch again until Tuesday...
  14. mikhail1973

Lets wait until he actually blows a save. He did that only once in his first appearance in the beginning of the season.
  15. LA Dre

I guess if Valverde had not thrown those 57 pitches the night before, he would have been available to save this one.....looks like the Tigers need at least a 5-6 run lead over the Red Sox going into the ninth in order secure a victory??

Verlander needs runs today and probably needs a complete game to avoid a bullpen collapse...
  16. mikhail1973

This is why you don't bring in your closer with a 5 run lead in the 9th.
  17. LA Dre

After trailing the whole game, the Tigers score three in the top of the ninth to tie the game only to lose it in the bottom of the ninth.

Ok now the Tigers are at 52-52...and IMO time for Leyland to give it up. After getting swept mid week, they could have possibly semi-redeemed themselves with their own sweep....but the Sox had the upper hand in ninth inning in each game,...I guess they were just lucky Friday night??
  18. mikhail1973

Team needs hitting. I guess with Maggs, Guillen, and Inge healthy, they could've won more while scoring a few more runs. But I say the team needs someone new running things as it becomes really stale.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Minny is a solid org. We can't step over them year in year out.
  20. LA Dre

I didn't know there was an early game today, but the saga continues...

ChiSox 12 ~ Tigersux 2

Porcello, Tigers hit hard by White Sox | tigers.com: News

The next scheduled loss will be televised tonight on MLB network