1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tiger Chat 2010

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems crazy to me too.

The Tigers have won 4 straight....break out the champagne. Maybe JL has figured out how to finally win in August???.....the pitching is doing well against the bottom feeders and even the hitting is clicking.

The Tigers have 38 games left....only 10 back. The Twins were 10 back with about 22 back last year and came back to steal a division crown.

Pull Damon off waivers and ride it out to see what happens.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I guess Dom paid Damon with the hope that we would be contending now. But the bottom fell out so he is expendable. I would let Damon stay but the price would go way down. Boston is out of it but they would take him back. We still owe him $1.2M.

3. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What's the problem with the wavier system?? Makes sense to me!

What are your questions?

It's been the way it is for a long time. Nothing new.

What's happening with Damon and Inge happens all the time in August with many teams.

:confused::confused:

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All I know is all of a sudden the Red Sox claimed Damon off waivers, but now he gets to decide if he wants to actually go to Boston or stay in Detroit. If he decides to go to Boston then the Tigers will trade him to the Red Sox. Meanwhile I don't understand how or when he got put on waivers in the first place. None of those sentences makes sense to me.

5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Detroit placed him on waivers last week. If I understand it correctly the team with the worst record in the league has first rights to pick the player up and so on and so on up to the best team.

When the player is picked off waivers then Detroit has 48? hours to either allow the pick up to take place, work out a trade with the team (boston in this case) or to take him off waivers.

Damon has a no trade clause in his contract so he can refuse a trade to boston, so detroit is unlikely to just let him walk for nothing (allowing boston to claim him with out a trade being worked out), so if a trade isn't worked out detroit is likely to to just pull him off waivers.

This is the only way to move players after the trade deadline and still allow them to be on the postseason roster. Its hard for good teams to get players this way because a team below them will likely claim them to keep the other team from getting a player (some think boston made the claim to keep tampa from getting him.)

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, but the team that claims his has to take on his contract (I believe). This stops the KC Royals of the world from claiming players.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Back in 1987, the Tigers claimed Doyle Alexander and he went 11-1 to finish the season as a pitcher. We made the post-season due to the move. Doyle retired after the 1/2 year with the Tigers. We gave up a minor league prospect named John Smoltz to finish the deal.

Accomplishments - "Wilkipedia.com"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Fans at Turner Field stand and applaud after Smoltz's 3000th career strikeout on April 22, 2008.

• Eight-time All-Star (1989, 1992–93, 1996, 2002–03, 2005, 2007)
    • National League Championship Series MVP (1992)
    • Led the National League in Strikeouts (1992, with 215)
    • National League Cy Young Award winner (1996)
    • Holds Atlanta Braves record for most wins in a season (1996, with 24)
    • Led the National League in wins (1996, with 24)
    • Counting his wins in the playoffs and All-Star Game, John Smoltz amassed 29 wins in 1996. The only higher such total in the last 70 years is Denny McLain (REMEMBER HIM) who had 32 in 1968.
    • Holds Atlanta Braves record for most strikeouts in a season (1996, with 276)
    • Led the Major Leagues in strikeouts (1996, with 276)
    • Led the National League in win percentage (1996)
    • Silver Slugger Award Winner for Pitcher (1997)
    • Finished 4th in National League Cy Young Award voting (1998)
    • Led the Major Leagues in Win Percentage (1998)
    • National League Rolaids Relief Man of the Year Award winner (2002)
    • Finished 8th in National League MVP voting (2002)
    • Finished 3rd in National League Cy Young Award voting (2002)
    • Holds Braves record for most saves in a career (154)
    • Holds Braves record for most saves in a season (2002, with 55)
    • Led the National Leagues in saves (2002, with 55)
    • Tied for National League lead in wins (2006, with 16)
    • Only pitcher to compile 200 wins and 150 saves
    • Holds Braves record for most strikeouts in a career (3,011)
    • Given the Branch Rickey Award for exceptional community service (2007)[32]
    • First pitcher in modern era (since 1900) to pitch exactly five shutout innings, strike out ten, and get the win (April 17, 2008 in the Braves' 8–0 win at Florida)[33]
    • 16th pitcher in the major leagues to reach 3,000 strikeouts (April 22, 2008)
    • Holds Cardinals record for most consecutive strikeouts (7) in a single game (August 23, 2009)
    • Only MLB pitcher with more than one postseason stolen base (3)

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ahh, that was a straight up trade. Dolye helped us win the W.S.
    Tigers were contenders that year and need a stopper. Why Smoltz was the trade piece I'll never know.

9. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Damon's deal:

He as a no-trade clause in his contract which gives HIM the right to decline a trade to the specified teams. Boston was one of those teams so HE has the right to call off the deal. The Tigers cannot change that. However, now, he must remain with the Tigers for the rest of the season. He and the club have no choice. (Unless they just release him - but they'll have to pay him his full salary.)

In the case of Smoltz:

The Tigers claimed Alexander off of waivers from Atlanta. However, in order to keep Atlanta from pulling Alexander back off of waivers, the Tigers offered to trade Smoltz (who was in the minors) to Atlanta in order to get them to complete the the deal. Alexander went 11-1, the Tigers won the pennant (this was in 1987, not 1985), lost in the playoffs, and the rest is history. NOT their best moment!!!

:):)

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This ^^^ is why it's good to have older folks around. They are the lore keepers of the tribe.

11. Nemo

Actually, we only made it to the post season where we promptly lost to the Twins in a first round playoff. Smoltz was drafted in the 24th round two years before, and only was in AA ball when the deal took place.

12. LA Dre

Woody from one old timer to another, that is almost exactly how it happen. I think Doyle won 9 games in 11 starts and no losses helping the Tigers to the BEST record in the majors that 1987 season with 98 wins.....however we were beaten 4-1 by the Twins in the ALCS with Alexander losing two of those games..:yellowprison:..So yep he got us almost to the big dance, but keeping prospect Smoltz would have possibly got us there more often...as they say in everyday life..hindsight is 2020

13. LA Dre

At least Damon showed some class and decided to stay with the underachieving- injury riddled-rookie laden team.

Five straight wins by the Tigers and still 9.5 games back though. 21 runs vs the Royals in two days....Maybe they need to play them 10 more times this season to get back in the race.:)

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Give the Tigers credit for not mailing in the season. Yea, if all games were played at home versus the Indians and Royals, we could make a run.

Also, if Damon chooses the Tigers over a playoff-contender, that tells you Detroit is doing many things correct.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or that he hates Boston now, otherwise they wouldn't be one of his no-trade clause cities. Or both.

Thanks for the explanation, guys. I love tribal knowledge!

16. Nemo

The Tigers have excellent team chemistry. The best they've had in a long time.
    Johnny Damon proved to be an excellent influence on the Tigers. He's here for the long run.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, thanks for cleaning that up Woody.
    Tigers are just too laid back, that's why Damon wants to stay. And to avoid media scrutiny.
    Maybe he can slip down to .260 and still draw a whopper check. Yeah I'll never forget how altruistic Cap. Hook was after the trouncing the Twinks gave us. He was like,"well that coach was due because I got mine". I wanted to spit on him.
    -
    I looked up the history:
    Sparky got us going in '83 with 91 wins and we didn't make the ALCS. '84 we won 104 games and won WS, '85 we don't make ALCS, or '86, gave away Gibson in '85, '87 Twinks do us in ALCS, by '89 we won 59 games.

18. LA Dre

Even though Figaro gave up the winning HR in the 12th, lets blame todays loss on: Valverde and Leyland.

Valverde because he blew the save and gave up two doubles and the tying run and JL because he pulled Phil Coke after he got Gallaraga out of trouble in the 7th striking out the two batters he faced and then he put in Perry in the 8th who was doing ok, but decided to pull him with two outs and then he brought in Valverde who has been up to par since the All Star game. I know Gallaraga probably could not decide who to punch Valverde or Leyland.

I would have let Coke pitch the eighth and then maybe brought in Valverde in the 9th with the 3-1 lead.

Another job of over managing for Leyland.....then to top it off, he left Gerald Lard in there so that he could do what most experts thought he would do....ground into inning ending double play with two on and one out. Although Laird had a couple of hits in the game, the guy is never reliable in crunch situations and I don't think he has ever had a walk off HR. Once again Tigers leave a ton of men on based (9) and cannot get a ball over the fence when needed, but the Royals get two home runs from two guys who had combined for 3 dingers all year....SMH

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

As long as Gally didn't take the L.
    Yeah if the PH works he doesn't need Laird any more.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What a painful loss today. A 6-game win streak would have been nice.