Tiger Chat 2010

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With Galarraga showing class in the issue and Joyce admitting a mistake, this would go along way in Selig getting respect from baseball fans worldwide as well as feel good response for the City of Detroit, who not only have suffered with the Tigers losing the 163rd game of the year last season, a hockey team losing game 7, a collegiate team losing the national championship game in their own backyard, the local WNBA team leaving...and then the economic situation....the city needs a break and this would at least put some added joy in the hearts on Detroiters if Bud can overrule the field decision and allow what was supposed to be perfect game go on the records books as one without an asterisk.

2. LA Dre

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

As published in today's Detroit Free Press

Here is Selig's statement:

"First, on behalf of Major League Baseball, I congratulate Armando Galarraga[​IMG] on a remarkable pitching performance. All of us who love the game appreciate the historic nature of his effort last night. "The dignity and class of the entire Detroit Tigers organization under such circumstances were truly admirable and embodied good sportsmanship of the highest order. Armando and Detroit manager Jim Leyland[​IMG] are to be commended for their handling of a very difficult situation. I also applaud the courage of umpire Jim Joyce to address this unfortunate situation honestly and directly. Jim's candor illustrates why he has earned the respect of on-field personnel throughout his accomplished career in the Major Leagues since 1989. "As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night's game should have ended differently. While the human element has always been an integral part of baseball[​IMG], it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed. Given last night's call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features. Before I announce any decisions, I will consult with all appropriate parties, including our two unions and the Special Committee for On-Field Matters, which consists of field managers, general managers, club owners and presidents.”

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Once the game was allowed to go on, I don't see how you can reverse the call. What if there would have been more hits and Cleveland would have won the game? You clearly can't reverse that the next day.

A reversal of a call shouldn't be dependant on the events that happened to occur after it.

6. LA Dre

A lot of factors....and what ifs here..

If Jackson had not caught the ball, of course then the perfect game could have gone down to a one hitter and even a non-shut out.

If Cabrera had stayed on first and allowed Guillen to field the ball it could it still could have gone either way..

but you are right if the Indians would have gone on to score 4 runs and beat the Tigers, then yeah there still would have been a protest and I would doubt if he would reverse that, but since the Tigers got the next man out, and all else was preserved, it would have been good for baseball for him to just over rule the play since his umpires could not meet on the field and do it right then when they had the opportunity to make the right call and send everyone home happy.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's called hardball for a reason.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So Selig hasn't made a ruling.

At least the Tigs are out of there funk.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Totally agree wirth Dre. Make the right call and the game is over. Cleveland didn't rally or even get a hit. I see no reason not to right the wrong. Can't think of anyone in the universe that would be hurt by it.

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

so am "I" !!!! :pound:

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is, once they intervene, then it throws the rulebook out the window. Every game becomes subject to review. Every single play and call becomes subject to review.

I see and agree with the argument not to recognize it. And I think a lot of good came out of the unfortunate circumstances.

12. Darth Tater

Oh hush up Bosco. Nobody asked for your opinion and besides, Robots ain't got no heart, anyhow.

[​IMG]

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

While I agree the "ruling" shouldn't be changed, I feel that The moment should be remembered in the hall of fame for what it was. Not only a perfect game per say but as an example of all that is good with mankind, how both sides acted with class and honor. As it looks to also be a breaking point to help push forward instant reply the game has meaning in many different fronts.

My guess is that it will go down as the not perfect game that will be remembered more then most of the perfect games that have taken place over the course of the 100 plus years of MLB.

14. Darth Tater

Nice insight. Much better than Bosco's post, but you need to hush up too! :sssh:

In fact, anyone who disagrees with my view should hush up! :sssh::sssh::sssh:

15. Nemo

I'm not sure that this post is wirth repeating...even if I agree with its contents. :pound::pound:

Right the wrong with the stipulation that some form of replay will be instituted by the all star break

16. Darth Tater

I was conjugating the voib! --Slip Mahoney...Bowery Boys. :)

[​IMG]

17. Nemo

Slip was cool, but I was a Satch type of guy !!!

[​IMG]

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Here's another what-if: What if the umpire hadn't completely choked in the biggest moment in the game? It's nice that he apologized and felt real bad about it and stuff, and I don't think his family should be getting death threats, but bottom line - he choked.

19. LA Dre

How about what if Dontrelle Willis had still been there in the rotation instead of Galarraga??? Means GM would have save $50K instead of giving him that new red Corvette.....:)

20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hall of fame got some stuff from Tigers for the game. I guess it will be remembered somehow.