1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tigers Tiger Chat 2011

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Jan 24, 2011.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In 2006, we beat the Yanks on the road so it can be done again. Besides, the Rangers and Rays (who will probably beat out the BoSox) are hotter than the Yanks, so maybe this is a blessing??:sssh:

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tigers leading in the 8th, Texas tied in the 9th. Exciting... if I could watch any of it.

3. LA Dre

Wild (card) night of baseball and I missed most of it sitting thru a movie screening in LA....

I was able to listen to the Tiger game until its conclusion on my XM radio while driving to LA and cheered during the Tiger comeback. The other three games of interest had the Angels and Rangers tied at one in the ninth when I turned off my smart phone in the movie, the Rays trailing 7-6 in the top of the ninth vs NY, and the BoSox leading the orioles 3-2 in a rain delayed 7th. 90 minutes later I came out I turned on my phone to find out that the Rangers had beaten the Angels:yellowprison: and the other two games were just ending when I turned the car on....

Only wished I been home to watch both games live endings on MLB since Longoria walk off playoff clincher came only 4 minutes after the Orioles ended the Sox season.

Just think...the Sox were 7-20 in September...:frusty: and blew a 9 game lead...Was the Tigers collapse in 2009 that bad? Not to be outdone, the Braves had a 8.5 game lead on Sept 10 and blew their lead too...so the Cards are in.....just think if the WS is between the Rays and Cards??

meaningless stats

BoSOx were 77-0...before tonight in games where led going into the ninth inning.. Tonight was their first blown win and it proved to be fatal!!

The Orioles not only knock the Sox out of the playoffs, but the two 6-5 wins over the Tigers last Thursday and Saturday cost the Tigers from having the number 1 seed in the AL as they finish 95-67. The Yanks finish 97-65 and the Rangers finished 96-66. The Tigers had the tie breaker over both the yanks and the Rangers....

We may have gotten a break with the Yanks though who lost 5 of their last 7 while resting a few studs. But it is all about momentum and we were able to end the season on a 4 game win streak and win 6 out of our last 8. Both the Rangers and Rays closed well and hot.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I remember maybe 5 seasons in the last 45 years that finished this exciting. (last month)

That home run to win it for the Rays was a thing of [STRIKE]minimum distance[/STRIKE] beauty.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amazing. When I checked the scores last night before I went to bed, the Red Sox were leading late and the Yankees were up 7-0. And the Braves were ahead and looked like a lock to have a one-game playoff tonight against the Cardinals. I woke up this morning and the worm had turned.

Wildly entertaining finish to the season for anyone not a Braves or Red Sox fan. Unbelievable meltdowns by those teams.

Though I still say Boston's collapse doesn't even come close to rivalling the Yankees 3-0 playoff collapse to the Red Sox in 2004.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I was vaguely aware of some of the battles going on. I woke up and checked Yahoo's front page.

All I can say is WOW!! :bigeyes:

The playoff fates of so many teams decided in such exciting (unbelievable) finishes.

Greatest night for baseball ever?

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, at least they'll televise the Tigers first round games now!

8. LA Dre

You guys go to bed to early....:sleep: and miss all of the "live" happenings....

9. LA Dre

This one gets so much attention because some thought with the Red Sox off season acquisitions, that this was the best team in baseball despite them losing what 9 of their first 11 to start the season

Once they turned it around they were mowing down teams and were in first place on 9/2 with a record of 84 -51...and still missed the playoffs. The Eastern SPorts Network is besides themselves seeing their local team out of it.:)

One thing discussed on ESPN First Take this morning was did the Yanks tank themselves the last three games vs the Rays just to make sure that the Bosox chances of choking was heightened.:sssh:....The Phillies played their everyday starters and beat the Braves in the final series of the season, where as the yanks played dead...not even bringing in Mariano to save the game in the bottom of the ninth....:stirthepot:

10. LA Dre

Lets hope the Tigers will be televised for the next three rounds of post season games..:thumb[1]:

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even without Mariano, Tampa still seemed left for dead. Down 7-0 at one point, the Rays were down to their final strike, down one run, nobody on base, with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. What drama!

12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Tampa swept Yanks to get into the playoffs. I also wondered if it was just that NY didn't want Red Sox making it?

13. Nemo

The ole boy almost made me eat my words. Still, they went 30-9 in their last 39...even though they didn't make it to 96 victories. I'll give him an "A" for the 2nd half...and a "C" the first half..........

14. Nemo

Now here's a nice prediction by someone...made over 6 weeks ago, before the winning began..

We actually finished with a .586 winning percentage.........:)

15. LA Dre

This was a quote from 3/27/11 and BillL you were right on about Coke and Penny and Inge.

Avila and Peralta were there in the clutch though once they were moved up in the order.

16. BillLaimbeer

Avila and Peralta have been HUGE for the Tigers' success this season. My win prediction fell a bit short. It's all good now, though. Get ready for playoff action tomorrow night, folks!!!!!

17. LA Dre

A nemo Quote from 3/31/11

This year 49-43 before the break and 46-24 afterwards including 38-16 in August and September..

18. LA Dre

Our pitching will be the key here if the starters and set up men can hold the lead for Benoit and Valverde.

Leyland is going with his regular rotation in the first four games, and then holding JV for game 5. The Yanks are pitching CC and games 1 and 4.

Question for the forum? If we are down 2-1, do we pitch JV in game 4 vs CC or stick with the plan in Porcello?

Wish we had Boesh available for some pinch hitting if needed, but Young has been a welcome replacement and good to Wilson Betimen (sp?) back too.

19. BillLaimbeer

It's a good question, Dre. Hopefully, the Tigers win the series 3-0 so we don't need to worry about that issue. :)

The JV question will be better answered after tomorrow's game. If Verlander struggles against the Yankees, it doesn't make sense to rush him back. If he dominates New York in a somewhat stress-free game, then you have to entertain the idea, especially if you're down 2-1.

20. LA Dre

It's obvious the Tiger bats need to get to CC, before the Yankee bats get JV.

JV with a lead will get stronger by inning and can dominate the 3rd thru the 7th innings for sure and we can take the first game for sure.

Despite the Cy Young year for Verlander, I feel more confident with Fister in game 2 for a sure win :sssh: