Tigers Tiger Chat 2011

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Jan 24, 2011.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Once again, the bullpen fails a pretty decent pitching performance by a starter, but like it was last night it was our batters who couldn't get it done as they blew two opportunities with based loaded with one out.

The one in the ninth was the killer when they had the bases loaded where two guys >Boesh and Cabrera that tied the score in the 8th on back-to-back dingers struck out back-to-back in the top of the ninth with the bases loaded.

The most nervous guy in America was Justin Verlander, who gave up two homers himself, still looked good fanning 9 Bosox batters. I am sure it will be a long bus ride to the airport for him as he saw his team load the bases with the heavy hitters come up to plate and fail and then watch some dude from Albuquerque load the bases with no outs and let the winning walk off hit in.

How this for consistency dating back one month to April 20

Tigers win 4 in a row, then lose 7 in a row, them win 10 out of 11 including 7 straight before losing the last 3. Yep a streaky team hovering above .500..:yellowprison:
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Poor Verlander. He pitches decent for 8 innings then some reliever from Nemo's Bar comes in for the 9th. He throws 28 pitches and records one out......Fire the manager...........:gun1:
  3. LA Dre

I think Verlander wanted to get back in there and pitch the ninth, but with 114 pitches thrown, no way JV lets him back in there, no matter how the bad the relief has been this week...

I know the game wasn't on the Entertainment Sports NorthEast Network, (ESPN) but even those announcers on the MLB net still seem to be pulling for the BoSoX....or was that the Sox crew?
  4. Nemo

I'm not sure. Our cable company out here was bought out by Optimum, and I've never seen this option (channel) before...
  5. LA Dre

Just tuned into the MLB network and found that the Tigers were already down 7-0 in the third inning....can only surmise that Scherzer was intimidated by the mighty bosox.

One thing for certain, these are definitely the BoSox announcers as one of them in his best Tommy Heinsohn accent said they were hoping to get 5 innings completed before the rains come.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

yeah, I was hopeing Scherzer could be our #1 and JV or #2. At least he got off to a good start. Looks like with JV coming around he's our #1 and we got 3 fours.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Penny and Coke have held their own. Scherzer (except today) and Porcello have been great so far. Penny is 3-1 with a 2.31 ERA. In May, Coke had given up 9 runs in 5 starts before his injury.

Verlander 4-3 3.42 ERA
    Scherzer 6-2 3.86 ERA
    Porcello 4-2 3.08 ERA
    Penny 4-4 4.45 ERA
    Coke 1-5 3.81 ERA

Starting pitching has not been an issue. In fact, the Tigers starting pitchers have the LOWEST batting average against (.237) in the American League.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That'll pay off in the long run but man that will be a slog.
    Maggs wasn't doing anything before now we're supposed to be happy he's coming back !?
  9. Nemo

Thanks for the stats Bill. Maybe the Tigers need to switch from Coke to Pepsi.....:pound:
  10. BillLaimbeer

Not Pepsi, but 23-year-old Andrew Oliver will be the new flavor. With Coke landing on the 15-day DL, Oliver should get a chance to make at least two starts for the Tigers during his time with the big club. He's pitched well at Toledo this season with a 48:20 K:BB in 49.2 innings along with a 3.26 ERA.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

pitchings fine, BATS !
  12. LA Dre

IF the Tigers are able to recover and even get the wild card spot, the team they don't want to face in the post season (Divisional or ALCS) is the Red Sox.

Those games would be televised nationally and the BoSox has beaten the Tigers in every nationally televised game this season and beaten them 7-8 straight times I think today TBS announcer indicated. Can JVer stop the slide in tonight's back end of the day-nite double dipper?

hitting still an issue as the announcer said that of their 46 HR, 30 were solo shots and 15 were 2 run dingers, and only one 3 run homer....and we already know that they lead the league in men LOB and the relief squad has the highest ERA in the majors. I know Valverde is the closer, but I would only trust him with a 2 run lead in any save ops.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

so he put J Val in a tied game.
    I'm kinda glad he took shmuk deep.
  14. BillLaimbeer

That's what a manager does if he has confidence in his team. You put the closer in for the top of the 9th expecting that your team will win it in the bottom of the 9th.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Wow ! Leyland is either out of touch with reality [wimpy tiger bats] or is confident as
    a cocaine user.
  16. BillLaimbeer

If the manager doesn't have confidence in his team scoring one run or his closer shutting down the opposition for one inning, then he's not managing a playoff contender.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I guess he's not managing a P/O contender. And he's not helping them swim.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Tigers are rolling. You need to tune in sometime...
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, they stole a win from Minny. Always nice. But let them sniff .550 then we'll celebrate. Right now at least 3 teams are claiming wild card better than Tigs.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They are 1.5 games out of the wild card lead. That's nothing, Debbie.