TIGER PREVIEW 2008

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Mar 8, 2008.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Greetings all. This thread will give us an opportunity to review the Tigers lineup as we aee it before the world returns to us March 31. We now 9 positions are set(the lineup) and that Leyland wants to carry 10 pitchers. That leaves a 5 man bench: I've chosen Inge, Rayburn, Thames, Santiago and Perez, (if wilson isnt ready.)

The key to this season is twofold: Health and Inge. Personally, I believe we should trade him, so that shef will be distraction enough.

So, here we go. The 2008 Tigers Player profile...

TODAY: CF-CURTIS GRANDERSON
    The Official Site of The Detroit Tigers: Team: Player Information

AS HARD AS IT is to believe, Granderson is baseball's most exciting YET most underated player in baseball. He had a season last year that was only achieved by 4 players EVER! EVER! I said EVER!!!!! So there is no way he can duplicate that year. But i expect HIM to be consistent and clutch. He is the ultimate leadoff hitter and last year made the best paly a Tiger centerfielder has ever made (CLICK ON GRANDERSON PLAY OF 2007). If he hits .300 and cuts down his strikeouts to under 100, there is no way he wont be an MVP candidate again. There is no way, Sizemore is better than our guy.

Prediction: AVG: .309 HR: 25 RBI:69 2B: 44 3B: 15 SB: 33
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

It will be tough to keep Inge happy, but I hope they keep him. He could be a super reserve with his athleticism and versatility. And if I were Inge, I'd stay. Good chance to get a ring here.
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

TODAY: PLACIDO POLANCO

LEMME tell yall about this guy. Here's my list of the greatest second basemen I have ever seen:

1. Joe Morgan
    2. Ryne Sandberg
    3. Lou Whitaker
    4. Rod Carew
    5. Placido Polanco

POLANCO MAY HAVE HAD THE GREATEST YEAR OF ANY 2ND BASEMAN IN THE LAST 34 YRS SINCE mORGAN'S BACK TO BACK mvp SEASONS. (Caps brainlock). The last AL MVP at 2nd base was Nellie Fox in 1959. Polanco had a season last year that was better at .341 avg/200 hits/and 0 lemme repeat ZERO ERRORS at 2nd BASE! Even if they DID count the 1 the scorers took away, that still makes only ONE! Unbelievable.

This year in Spring TNG, he's at a robust .500 avg. This is a man's man and this year he WILL get his due. A batting title and a top 3 MVP vote.

PREDICTION: AVG: .355 HR: 7 RBI: 70 2B: 45 3B: 5 ERRORS: 2
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He also has really nice teeth and a fantastic smile.
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

doesnt he, though??/....ahhhh!
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Someone might come in here and say he doesn't have enough power.
    Why only 67 RBI ? If you bat .305+ ?
  7. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

But will Lou Whittaker ever make it to the HOF ??
  8. ggazoo69

Highly doubtful.
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Because the bottom of the lineup wont be as productive....
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I looked up all the 2nd baseman to play from 1970 til 2000 and no one had a doubleplay-combo in the same uniform streak as trammell/whitaker. if baseball is this 'pure' game it's selling itself to be , then the story of this great longetivity story should be told.
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

TODAY: GARY SHEFFIELD- DH

The Official Site of The Detroit Tigers: Stats: Individual Player Stats

Still one of th most dangerous hitters in the AL. A lightning quick bat with a keen eye, Gary is the Big Poppi of this lineup. His production is the key to strong starts neccesary by Ordonez and Cabrera. Although, age has creeped up on his little nagging injuries, Shef will be alright if he is limited to DH duties. People also seem to forget his intense leadership as he had 22 stolen bases, his highest since 1990 when he was with Milwaukee.

I could GO either way on what could be considered a good season for Sheff.
    But the key stat to me will be OBP. The more he gets on base, the more AB's for O and Cabrera.

PREDICTION; AVG: .281 HR: 31 RBI: 91 OBP: .375 2B: 36 SB: 15
  12. ggazoo69

Wow. If he has that good a season, Tigers fans will be very impressed. He's almost as big a question mark this season as the bullpen. I wonder if his shoulder will hold up. He's having leg cramps right now I think.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hopefully we won't need to depend on him too much. Last year when he died the team died too. We killed teams for 3 mo last year.
  14. Nemo

Need pitchers to step up this year. Key member is Bonderman. He needs 17 wins to finally have that breakthrough year, and to play to his potential. Next most important pitcher is Zumaya. Gotta stay healthy, and near the strike zone.......Our hitters will be fine.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It was weird last year, we had the best offense [on paper] but after Sheff went down no one could get a clutch hit. And Bondo just went in the tank and fumed.
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Is it his time of the month???:MusicBigGrin:
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I aint got to the pitchers yet..."Stay in focus"...:MusicBigGrin:
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

RF- MAGGLIO ORDONEZ

Let me just say right now...Maggs , i owe you a nice butt kiss. For two years, i did nothing but talk about how this was the worst clutch hitter in AL history. Then ,,..bottom of the 9th vs oakland A's in 2006 AlCS..3-3 tie..2 men on...POW!! .the 2nd most beautiful home run that I ever seen (Kirk vs Padres and Goose ind 84 is so Number 1 it aint funny)Ever since..he's won a batting title(.363) hit in the clutch(.429 with RISP) hit 54 doubles and was predicted by the sporting news to be 2008's MVP.

Maggs has gained the same charisma and city ownership that Chauncey recieved after his 2004 MVP finals. HE is now Mr tiger and I think he will have a better season in 2008 than last year eevn with lower numbers. also, as bad a outfielder as he was last year he did only make 1 error.

I luvs u maggs.

PREDICTION: AVG: . 339 HR: 33 RBI : 122 2B: 45 obp: .400
  19. Nemo

My mother outlaw Loves Maggs hair. This is her newest favorite Tiger. She's been following since long before Harwell. She'll be 89 this season.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

ok...worked 3 days overtime this weekend . Time to catch up.....

TODAY: MIGUEL CABRERA, CARLOS GUILLEN , EDGAR RENTERIA

CABRERA: The Official Site of The Detroit Tigers: Team: Player Information

The guy most responsible for me having a 'week' of great sex in December. This kid is one of the 5 'cant miss' hall of famers under 25 in baseball. And we have 2 of them now (with Verlander). He's about the size of Albert Belle for those of you who havent seen him close. If we keep him healthy (eating wise) he will be a MVP candidate the next two years. The great thing about him is that he has a great attitude and he does NOT have to be a key to this team. Defense will be shaky, but do you care about a guy with 20 errors if he hits 40 homers?
    i don't....
    PREDICTION: AVG: .331 HR: 40 RBI: 118( only because Shef and maggs will stEAl some of his thunder...lots of solo shots) 2B: 44 3B: 5

GUILLEN; The Official Site of The Detroit Tigers: Team: Player Information

TO ME, this is the new Al Kaline of this team. He graciuosly moves over to the first base recognizing a need for stability and neccesity to better himself and his team. He has the smoothest swing in the AL since George Brett and is also primed for his best year ever just because pitchers will be worn out by the time you get to him. Baseball is a very mentally tough game and I cant see more than 6 pitchers in the AL 'tough' enough to deal with this lineup for 9 innings. I'm not sure about his D at 1st though. We'll see. But its like the Ol UNLV Rebels. Lets just get back to the plate.

PREDICTION: AVG: .316 HR: 25 RBI: 97 2B: 36 3B:8

RENTERIA: The Official Site of The Detroit Tigers: Team: Player Information

AND I WAS giddy when we got THIS guy B4 Cabrera/Willis got here. If anything it gave the pitching confidence knowing a goldglove winner would team would Polanco to form baseball's best DP combo sans Utley/Rollins in Philly. Edgar is another Leyland guy and will give us a solid 140 games and some break ins at DH, 3b and LF. If he and Polanco play 140 games together, Tigers will go 90-50 in those games EASY!

OH, BTW...last year, EdRen hit .3freekin32!!!

PREDICTION: AVG: .303 HR: 11 RBI: 75 2B:31 3B: 5 SB:9