TIGERBEAT presented by Stroh's

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Mar 4, 2007.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Illitch might keep the wallet open. The Tigers went over 3 million for the first time in attendance. Hairpuck has to be happy about that so he might keep spending.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's too late now, right?
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

yeah, but I was speaking more to your point about it being 15 years before the Tigers sniff it again. I think moves will be made in the offseason. I think the Tigers will continue to be competitive.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Ilich is going to have the wallet open. Also, they are planning on adding more seats to increase the capacity (reduce bullpen = more premium seats). Verlander will have one more year of experience. Robertson should have a better year next year. So should Bondo. Rogers may be back for one more since he saved a year on his arm. Pitching will be solid. Need some bullpen help, either 1B or SS, and some left-handed power. A leadoff man wouldn't hurt. I'm sure Dombrowski is going to look at all the options in the offseason. Tigers should remain competitive for the forseeable future.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It would be stupid not to invest now as we will not see the likes of this batting lineup again.
    Rogers has said he won't play for anyone else.
    So he's here or done.
  6. mikhail1973

That would be correct. Batting carried the team throughout the season. The Tigers are #20 (out of 30) in MLB and #9 (out of 15) in AL in ERA. So, the pitching had issues. Yes, there were injuries. But can we count on Miller to step in and pitch consistently? Is Jurrjiens ready to pitch on the high level for the whole year? How Rogers' health going to hold up? Have we seen the best of Bondo and Robertson last season? Can we get some free agent bullpen help and possibly some young guns to step in? Who will be the closer? The balance of Tigers pitching for the next season is quite delicate. If everything works out fine we could have a repeat of the 2006. If not it will be "close but no cigar" situation.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If they hunt well in the off season maybe we can find another crusty ole Rogers out there. Under valued starter.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There are a lot of teams in our position. In other words, they have a chance at glory if their pitching stays healthy.

The Cubs were rearing to go with Prior, Wood, Maddox, and co a few years ago and couldn't put it all together.

It is a tough thing to do because pitching is expensive, delicate, requires youth physically, and veteran savvy mentally. You either get guys who fall apart, or guys that can't come through in the clutch.

And the worst part is that pitching always trumps hitting deep into the playoffs. When an ace is on, our great lineup will be totally neutralized.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Wood snapped.
    Hopefully Verlander won't.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Tigers are on a 5-game winning streak...
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With 12 games remaining they may need to finish with a 17 game winning streak to secure the playoff spot.

They need to sweep the Indians this week. The Yanks are playing eveyone's whipping team Orioles this week, so only a miracle would see the Tigers gaining any ground on them.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The only way that we get the tiebreaker against the Indians is if we sweep them.

So, the final game of the series could have quadruple the weight.

Say for example that we cut it to 1 games going into the final game (just to illustrate). If we win, then we tie them and would effectively be 1 game ahead because of the tiebreaker. If we lose to them, we would be 2 games down and effectively be 3 down because we would lose the tiebreaker.

So, that game could produce a 4 game difference in the standings.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I don't like your math...............unless we win..:pound::pound:
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What a late inning disaster.

I absolutely cannot stand Inge.

Bottom of the 9th, Mohawks to the plate in a 5-5 tie.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very painful loss. Yea, I can't stand Inge either.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This loss is on Leyland and Zumaya. Rogers pitches a nice game getting out of trouble here and there and then JL pulls him after 7 ....just because his pitch count was up to 100.

JL overmanaged all season pulling pitchers when he shouldn't have and then leaving others in too long. Case in point, Zumaya, who had pitched the last two games, comes in and walks the first batter he pitches to and then gives up a single on the next batter ....I am thinking, the guy is tired and doesn't have it, pull him. Nope.. JL leaves him in and he gets the next two batters to ground out (they score one run) and then the next batter hits over the right field fence.

The whole second half of the season was managed this way, but good pitching and timely hits in September had got them off them back in the race and a sweep of the Indians would have put enough pressure on them to see a possibe Cleveland collapse.....but nope, offense stalled hoping the pitching could hold on and Zumaya didn't have and then Zack gave up a walkoff HR to end this in the 11th.

Like I said in a post earlier today, they got to win everygame the rest of the season to assure a spot in the playoffs and that ain't going to happen. :(:mad:
  17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Team seems to be pushing up daisies..................:skull::granade::frusty::help2::swear2::closed_2::Cry::pout::censored::rip:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So much for my dream scenario.

Now we are realistically out of the race for the division.

Wildcard is the only way.

Just another thought. Take a look at the runs scored by the Yankees and the runs given up compared to us. They are way better. It is amazing that we are only 3 games behind them.
  19. mikhail1973

I think the race for the playoff spot ended last night. I hope they manage to prove me wrong, but they are too far behind now with to little time left. There is one thing that has been an annoyance to me as of late. Where is the offense in the late innings? They tend to score early and disappear. And leave it up to the pitchers to keep the lead. A run here and there in the end would seal the deal, it is also psychological.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

stick a fork in the tigers this year, they're done.