TIGERBEAT presented by Stroh's

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Mar 4, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This is not their year. As soon as they get a lead on Tribe they give it right back, and that's with the supposed "ace" on the mound.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's official in my opinion, the season is over for the Tigers. :yield:
    The last time they swept the Twins in July, they fell flat and it took them 2 months to recover...well the did again ans it deja vu. With only 10 games left and 6.5 games behind Clevaland and 4.5 behind the Yankees, only a major collapse by those teams get the Tigers in.

The whole second half of the season has been a mishmash and even though they put together a five game winning streak going into this series, their actions in these two games have mirrored those dog days on August. Bad relief pitching yesterday, bad starting pitching today , bad base running both days, questionable calls by JL and then the Tigers bats going silent after 4th inning. At one point after four innings, the line score was Tigers 4 runs 8 hits and the Indians, 4 runs 2 hits. The Indians did their damge with the long ball and the Tigers left 20 batters on base as they got caught stealing twice hindering their chances of getting more runs. Meanwhile the Tiger ace got killed by walking batters and giving up three dingers.

:toilet::fish2:
  3. mikhail1973

I think we have to start looking towards the next season. The future looks bright and the team should be competitive for the foreseeable future. They are not going to be on the top every year, too many things have to go right. But they fought until the end.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Wasted season
    one and done
    At least they made it interesting er frustrating.
    damn yankees...spotted everyone 20 games at the start of the year and still fought back!!!!
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think were still going in the right direction. for every break that went our way last year they went against us this year. injuries last year? notta.... they were everywhere this year. if rogers pitchese all year and wins 14 games we are either in the playoffs or still right there fighting it out... if rodney and zum arn't hurt..... if bonderman wasn't hurt (seems for most the 2nd half).

we look to have 3 stud rookie pitchers that are going to be the real deal, maybe not even next year but the year they will be dependable starters.... we have other young players that are getting better and better, we look to be a more attractive landing spot for free agents now.....

We are not as bad this year as some think, just like we wern't as good last year as our playoff push may have been...

were a playoff contender this year, and that is great if you remember where we were 18 months ago, and we should be better next year.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dumping Maroth was not a good move. What if Verlander goes down?
    Buy now, Buy now.
  7. mikhail1973

Maroth struggled mightily for St Louis. And he's pitching in a pitcher-friendly league. I think it was a right move. Need to bring in youngsters, someone who could be a #1 or #2 starter on any team, not someone who is a #5.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

It just wasn't in the cards this season for Detroit. But this team, the owner and the GM are pretty hungry. I hope Leyland stays hungry. He had burnout issues in Colorado. I'm really disappointed in Bonderman. Talk about a question mark for next season. Geez, I wonder how he'll perform next season. Verlander was great. Jurrjens was a nice surprise. I'm not that worried about the pitching even though that was the Achilles' heel this season. Zumaya will get better. Some of the middle relievers need to get lost (Byrdak, Grilli). Rodney has to throw strikes consistently. The guy seems to go 3-2 on everybody. I say keep Todd Jones around another year until he starts blowing saves consistently. I think the Tigers will pick up Pudge's option. Sheffield is a huge question mark. I think his workout ethic is so good that he'll do everything to get back in tact. But he's pretty old. But if anyone can do it, Sheff can. He's addicted to working out.

I don't expect Maggs to have as good a season, but I expect Pudge to have a better season.

What to do about third base and first base? I say Casey will be gone. Brando becomes a bench player. His ABs are horrible. Either the Tigs get Jack Wilson from the Pirates (although I'm not sure why they would give him up) or Santiago starts at SS. But his bat blows. I think Guillen will be the guy at first.

What to do about Maybin? Not sure he's ready for prime time yet. But they'll have a full preseason to evaluate him. Could be Maybin, Maggs and Granderson in the OF.

Tough season overall but I enjoyed the seasons by Verlander, Granderson, Maggs and Guillen quite a bit.

Go get 'em next year Tigers!
  9. round

anybody know for sure when bonderman starting having his problem with his arm? i seem to remember reading it was as far back as july.... if thats the case then maybe thats more to do with his second half issues then a "pitching" problem....

on july 19th he was 10-1 with a 3.53 ERA with 5 starts that he either got the one lose or got a no decision where he gave up 2 or fewer runs... so with a few breaks he could have been 15-0 (i know i am stretching) mid july.

I'll take him as our number 2 pitcher for years to come.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It was in the Cards last season, unfortunately.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sorry Zoo we need for Maggs to do it again next year. He better stay healthy.
    290 team ba next year.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Granderson sounded pretty good on ESPN last nite. I wonder how he got the job?:)
  13. LA Dre

Depends on who you know and how articulate you are (in most cases) and what sports smarts/opinions you can bring to the camera without looking like you are reading notes or teleprompter. Possibly a couple interviews on PTI and Jim Rome's show may have caught someone's attention at ESPN.

Wikipedia indicates he also worked over at TBS during this years playoffs offering commentary of baserunning and outfield defense.

he is still young at 26, but it appears that he already has a post baseball career in broadcasting established.

How bout them Rockies.....has Matt Holliday come back to tag home plate yet:)

If the Red sox can stretch the ALCS out a couple more games, the Rockies may have the same issue the Tigers had last year with the extended layoff and spoil the party...
  14. round

he is doing 1st take on espn in the mornings this week, he has been on the show a few times over the last year. Zum and him were on during the week break last year during the playoffs, and he was also on during the summer I think when the tigers were in NY for a series with the Yankees.

Class act and glad he's our CF for years to come.
  15. mikhail1973

From what I read, they liked the way he handled himself during the interviews and during a couple of TV appearances. The TV pundits think that he could have a big future in the media if he choses to do so.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"If the Red sox can stretch the ALCS out a couple more games, the Rockies may have the same issue the Tigers had last year with the extended layoff and spoil the party..."
    -
    The Rockies are a trip. And have a good record against both Sox and Indians.
    Should be interesting.
  17. LA Dre

The Tigers celebrated the pennant for 8 days before they took the field with the Cardinals. After taking out the Yankees and Athletics in 8 games, they were the favorites with all the momentum pointing to a series championship....Right now the Rockies are sitting in the same boat, with that momentum evaporating every game that the ALCS continues. In the end they could be off 8 days too and that record vs the Indians or Sox may mean nothing vs these two strong AL teams.. Should be a great series vs either and hopefully no sweep
  18. LA Dre

Well what did I say??? the long layoff made the Rockies this years Tigers..the young team going with momentum lays as egg sitting at home waiting for the other league champion.

Red Sox were the best team most of the season, it is fitting that they won, but a sweep? :sweeping:

Wonder if the Tigers should go after A-Rod or Lowell to take over that hole at Third base??
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Jeez that was a boring World Series.
  20. mikhail1973

What world series? Did I miss something? :stirthepot: