TIGERS 08 SEASON THREAD

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Apr 1, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Tigers go 1-2-3 in the 5th. They are down 1-0 on the HR by Cabrera (no pun intended).
  2. mikhail1973

Another unbelievable listless performance by Tigers hitting as they are shutout for the 3rd time in 11 games. All they could muster was 2 hits, and Verlander finally succumbs in the 8th after giving up only 1 run through 7. Hitting needs to get going or this will be over quickly.
  3. mikhail1973

Tigers lose left-hander McBride for season

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

5. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

It won't be quick, it'll be a long drawn out incredibly disappointing season, full of trade rumors and players and press throwing people under the bus. Not good at all.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

2 and 9 baby, better than 0 and 11.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

3 shutouts in 2007. 3 in 2008.
  8. mikhail1973

I have to admit, this is as puzzling to me as it looks like it is to Leyland, the writers, the players, etc. It's not like Tigers had all the young kids who overachieved last couple of seasons. And everyone, and I mean everyone is struggling. Just doesn't make much sense.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's really strange how Clete Thomas has been our best player this year. Inge (our supposed weak link) isn't too far behind in the MVP race for the team.

We didn't know how tough the Yankees had it all those years with their pseudo all-star teams.
  10. mikhail1973

I haven't given up yet, but it doesn't look good at 2-9. However, this is nothing a nice streak like 10-2 can't fix.
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I think Jim Leyland is the problem. I really do. He's too old-school and he's not willing to shake up the lineup enough or possibly bruise some of the egos of these high-paid athletes. And I don't care if the Tigers got to the Series under him. All I remember is how terrible they were in the Series under him. And I remember some really bad collapses in both seasons under him in addition to the early-season collapse that is going on right now.

I've posted this before, but it's a great tactic used by a coach. Billy Martin, when the Yankees' hitters struggled, would place numbers in a hat, 1 through 9. The number you grabbed outta there is where you batted in the lineup. Reggie batted 8th one time.

Not saying that Leyland should do the "hat trick," but the guy needs to start thinking outside the box. I don't think he can. I think Trammell would be a better manager than Leyland is. Tram never had the talent.

I'll eat my words if Leyland turns the team around. But the guy is an overrated manager IMO.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I hear the Tigs have the second highest payroll. OMG
    Let's give them about 10 more games before we fire the whole lot. Make that 20.
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I dunno Green guy. I think Leyland is the tops. He's done well with other teams too. You follow the sport closer than I do, but I think Leyland should not be blamed for this.

Like TFD said, it's still early in the year too. :)
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it is Leyland, some of the players and management, but not in any particular order.

First of all we know a whole season has elapsed, but I'mnot sure if this team ever recovered from the W/S loss in 2006. Management relied on the relief pitching from that team and their injured arms and lived on the starting pitching through Mid July and nothing has been the same since in the pitching or offense. The players seem tentative and Leyland still does not know when to fold or hold with the pithing staff and that definitely dates back to last summer.

Looks like they going 2-10 after today's loss and although there are 150 games left, by the time they find a couple of teams that they can possibly win a series from they will be to far behind to catch up...........
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Cabrera, Ordonez, Polanco, and Sheffield. They are all hitting around...what... .160. These guys should be lighting it up. He can't hit for these guys. We should have been fine. No sir...I cannot fault Leyland.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

We need to switch Leyland with Saunders.......
  17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Leyland needsto change the batting order to shake things up. Move the players around in the order based upon current avg. That is going to put some players in very different spots but something needs to be done. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

If he doesn't shake things up it could be a long month.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Leyland has a very even keel and demeanor about him. He believes in his players and puts his faith in them. If he panics 12 games into the season and starts creating random lineups, the players will sense the panic and put even more pressure on themselves. There is no way this many great players can continue to slump at the same time. Leyland isn't the problem. Baseball is a funny game. Luckily, they play 162 games, not 12.
  19. mikhail1973

Leyland did change up some things, but nothing seems to work so far. He really can't go out there and hit for his star players. They have to do the work. And that would take pressure of the starting pitchers not having to go out there and shutout the opposition every time to keep team in the game.
  20. mikhail1973

Leyland finally ripped into this team for the way they are playing:

Tigers' offense remains in hibernation