TIGERS 08 SEASON THREAD

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Apr 1, 2008.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Glad to see Leyland rip these guys. As much as I'm down on Leyland, I'm not saying he should be fired. I just think he should be a little more proactive with these guys. The guys like him because he "treats them like men." Fine. Men who make millions of bucks a year need to earn it, like men.

Wouldn't even bother me if they didn't win the pennant. Just compete better, damnit!

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Obviously, the guys aren't playing well and Leyland can't be totally blamed for that. But until today, Leyland didn't rip these guys at all. Imagine working at a job where you underperformed consistently and your boss did not bother to say anything about it and still paid you millions of dollars a year? I'd want to earn my money. Baseball is a little different. Even the good hitters fail 2 out of every 3 times they come up to the plate. But these guys are not setting themselves up to succeed. I think some of that falls on the manager and the coaching staff. And Leyland will be the first to tell you that he deserves some of that blame.

And DT, I don't follow the sport closer than you do. If I did, I'd be doing better in Fantasy.

3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

So now you are changing your tune? Back on the 11th at 1:14 you were telling me that I was wrong and that the pitching was the problem? :nerd2:

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hooray!!!! :party2::djparty:

5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I'm not changing my tune. I said it is difficult to win giving up so many runs. And it hasn't changed. Finally offense breaks through to carry the team even though pitching stunk it up. But they do go hand-in-hand as more offense will give more confidence to the pitchers who won't have to pitch shutouts in order for team to win.

6. mikhail1973

Tigers offense finally woke up and the team on the strength of the 6-run eighth wins it 11-9. The Tigers put up 16 hits with only 1 strikeout. Maybe this comeback gets the team jump-started. Pitching wasn't great again, aided by poor defense, which is worrisome.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is the way we should look at it. We are 5 games out of first place and it is only to the Royals. That is all that matters. It's better to be out of first place now than later in the season because we have more games to make up the deficit. We are only 2 behind the biggest threat in the division, Cleveland.

It is clear to me that Polanco, Sheffield, Pudge, and Cabrera are all going to finish the year hitting > .230. That means that they have some making up to do. It is also clear to me that Verlander, Rogers, Robertson, and Willis won't end the year having given up 1 run per inning pitched (which is about where they stand right now).

Being extremely optimistic, maybe this adversity will be the kick in the butt that this team needs to make them tough. If it happens, it will be a good story.

8. mikhail1973

There are some things that are certainties, as you were talking about hitting. There are some certainties about pitching, and that's Verlander. The other guys? I don't know. Rogers is old, hopefully he can resurrect some of his stuff, otherwise he may just be washed up. Both Robertson and Willis struggled mightily last year, so a drastic improvement is not a given. I sure hope that this is how it plays out.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the guys that we traded to see how they are faring.

Jurjens in Atlanta. He's 1-1 with a 4.38 ERA. 12.1 innings pitched, 7 runs allowed and 8 strike outs. Solid start.

Miller in Florida. He's 0-2 with an 11.37 ERA. 12.2 innings pitched, 16 runs allowed and 15 strike outs. He'd be fitting right in with us! At least he is hitting .200 though.

Maybin in Florida. He's playing AA ball still and he's supposedly doing well there.

Rabello. Nothing special.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good comeback as the Tigers were actually down 9-4 going into the bottom of the 7th and heading for loss number 11. Did Leyland replay his yelling speech during the 7th inning stretch?? Good first win in front of the home town fans.. How many of the 32000 fans were still to witness the 8th inning comeback?

11 runs is what some expected from this team and they needed everyone of them today to pull out the victory. But giving up 7 runs on Saturday, 11 on Sunday and 9 tonight is not going to win many games even if the batters were hitting .300!!

Despite the dismal showing in the first dozen games, the tigs are only five back of first place and the two leaders got most of their wins off the Tigers....so there is hope

11. mikhail1973

Interesting. Leyland prefers Clete to Brandon as Inge sits for the second straight game.

12. mikhail1973

Robertson just talked about going deep into the games and what does he do to start the game? A double, a stolen base, a walk and an RBI groundout to put Twins on top 1-0 right out of the gate.

13. mikhail1973

The Tigers bat remain hot as they come back from 4-1 deficit to beat Twins 6-5. Tigers had with 4 home runs in the game including Cabrera's two-run shot to put Tigers ahead. Jones with a slight scare allowing a run to earn a save.

14. mikhail1973

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/john_donovan/04/14/donovan.windup2/index.html

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The first pitch is usually the best pitch you're going to see. And when you're stinking you got to stay aggressive. [until the pitchers figure that out]

16. LA Dre

Some positive spins on the tigers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/john_donovan/04/11/powerranks.one/2.html
    As bad as the Tigers have started off, SI still has them ranked 26 out of 30 in their power rankings as of 4/11 when they were still 1-8. ESPN had them ranked 18th and Fox Sports has them 13th as of 4/14. So there is still some who think they are decent despite others mouthing that they are the worst team in baseball.

Tigers have won 3 of their last 5 and are only 4.5 games behind the leader of what could be the toughest division in baseball. Also they are only 1 game behind the Indians the other team they were suppose to battle with this summer. A victory over the Indians tonight and the two teams are tied for last:)

Consider this : The Washington Nationals who share the same 4-10 record with the Tigers, won their first 3 games out of the gate and then lost nine in a row. Of course neither their expectations, nor their payroll was as high as the Tigers.

17. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Armando Galarraga: AL Cy Young Winner, 2008. :)

Bats AND Pitching coming together for a beatdown of the Tribe? Well I never.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He certainly has one more win than I thought he would get this year.

19. LA Dre

If he comes out as sharp in his next start than he needs to be put in the rotation as the third starter and JL can relegate either Rogers or Willis to the middle long reliever.....

Good win tonight for the Tigs vs their adverseries. sp Whatever Leyland said hopefully it was recorded and Wings can listen to it before Fridays' face off. :sssh:

20. mikhail1973

Good win as bats get hotter. Cabrera gets rolling and the youngster pitches a great game. Of course, Grilli had to come in and give up that second run. Oh, well, if that's the biggest issue then Tigers have nothing to worry about. Now they are tied with Tribe for the last place. And their pitching still has given up the most runs.