Tigers Tigers 2012

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by LA Dre, Jan 17, 2012.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Now that the division title is wrapped up, we probably need rest Infante, Jackson, Young and Peralta.

Probably need both Miggy and Fielder in there at least through tomorrow to keep the Triple Crown and MVP in play. Both Migs and Fielder went 4-5 today sandwiched between an 0-5 for Jackson, Infante and Young.

As long as Trout doesn't go 4-4 on Tuesday and Wednesday trying to steal the MVP and batting crown, Cabrera should have it wrapped up. (Tonight Trout is 4-4 and has moved to .325. .....Cabrera went 4-5 tonight and moved to .329)

If the Rangers can come back and win tonight....Ron Washington would probably rest Josh Hamilton the next two games and that could secure the HR title for Miggy

Trout and the WAR stats are what is keeping this a run away MVP for Cabrera.... Can somebody tell me what was Verlander's WAR last year or is this the first year of this stat has come into play?

[​IMG]
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

WAR

2011:
    Cabrera +7.3
    Verlander +8.3

2012:
    Cabrera +6.5
    Verlander +7.6
    Trout +10.5 (wow)

Apparently, there have been several triple crown winners to not take down the MVP, so there is ample precedent. They all happened 70+ years ago though I believe.

From a purely logical standpoint, I understand why Trout would be favored. He has very similar numbers + he is a base stealer + he is a really good defensive player. Miggy is not speedy and has hit into many a double play. I'd argue that he's exceeded expectations at 3rd base this year, but he just doesn't have the range/ quickness to be any better.

One x-factor though is that Cabrera had this fantastic season on offense while being forced into a defensive role at 3rd base to make way for the new acquisition. When you think about value relative to the replacement player... Miguel was the replacement player! The team had a need and he filled it.

The other x-factor- Cabrera's team just made the playoffs while Trout's team didn't (although they have 1 more win than we do at this point).

It's close, I'll admit.
  3. LA Dre

Only Tiger haters would vote for Trout to get the MVP when his team won't even make the playoffs.....especially if Miggy wins the Triple Crown.....give Trout the ROY this year....he can win MVP the next three years....
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I heard that Smyly is getting the start over Scherzer on Thursday, which is great. Scherzer needs to get his velocity back up and we really need him fully healed if we are going to make some noise.

Tuesday: Fister (expect a light outing)
    Wednesday: Sanchez (probably no more than 6.0 innings with a smattering of relievers to give them burn)
    Thursday: Smyly
    Friday: off
    Tuesday: Fister
    Wednesday: Sanchez
    Thursday: Verlander

We'll have Porcello with 6 days of rest by the time game 2 rolls around. If Scherzer has any issues, it is good knowing that we don't have to burn out the bullpen to get through the game. We will also have Smyly with 6 days of rest by game 6 with Sanchez on the hill. Smyly's strikeout rate is barely below Verlander, so he's a great choice to get us out of a big jam where we want to avoid any contact.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I Trout a Texan ? That doesn't smell good.
    I was sure CSox would force a P/O for the division, a rookie Manager working the old pro with .5 ? the budget.
    MOY for speed bag head ?
    TaS, I always knew your math was shaky.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

With the Tigers in the postseason, I wonder how this will affect the fate of our manager. People have been calling for his head -- me included -- and now he has shut us up. My hope is that he retires. The Tigs needed a pretty big collapse from Chicago to get in. In all the euphoria, I hope people remember that. Harold Reynolds on MLB said the Tigers are playing as good as anybody in the league. Not in the field, Harold. Not in the field.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, this marks the first time since 1935 that the Tigers have had back to back playoff appearances (77 years!). They took down the title that year btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_Detroit_Tigers_season
    1935 Detroit Tigers Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

Schoolboy Rowe sounds like a rapper.

Other cool names from the team:
    Goose
    Jo-Jo
    Flea
    Chief
    General
    Hub
    Roxie
    Firpo

Hank Greenberg's season was amazingly similar to Cabrera's current season:
    HG: .328 ba, 36 HR, 170 RBI, .628 SLG, 1.039 OPS, 7.6 WAR (was voted AL MVP, did not win the triple crown)
    MC: .329 ba, 44 HR, 137 RBI, .608 SLG, 1.001 OPS, 6.8 WAR (tbd )
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am confused. The Tigers play this Thursday?
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No, I am confused. They do not.

Smyly's start is Wed to finish out the year.

I also heard that Scherzer wanted to get in a "live game" before the end of the season to stay sharp. We'll see if that pans out.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

77 years !
    talk about no staying power
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe if you could have pass99 explain what you're trying to say...?
  12. BillLaimbeer

Is $97 million 1/2 of $132 million?
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cabrera 2 for 2 with 2 RBIs.
  14. ggazoo69

Interesting AL race. Hard to make travel plans -- for anyone. The A's and Orioles are both huge surprises. Seems odd that two wild card teams with better records than Detroit have to do a play-in game to make the playoffs. I hate this new format. Absolutely hate it. I hope there is tons of backlash for Selig.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Actually, they made the playoffs...albeit a one-game playoff. Perhaps best-of-3 is a little less harsh.

The Tigers get rewarded for winning their division. Seems fair to me.
  16. LA Dre

Triple Crown Watch :stooges:>>>> Should Miggy sit out tonight's game?

Mike Trout would have to go 6-6 to overcome Cabrera in the batting crown if Mig sat it out.
    Joe Mauer is out of it.

Josh Hamilton would have to hit 2 home runs today (so far he has batted twice through four innings with a single and a strikeout.) He could get 2 or 3 more at bats, or even more if the game remains tied with the Rangers and this thing goes into extra innings. Ron Washington could throw up the white flag on Hamilton and rest him as he looks tired.

That game should be over before the Tigers start, so the decision could be made before game time.

Encarcion has 42 homers....doubt that he hits three today...

RBI race...over two weeks ago.

I say the Triple is in the bag.....just need the baseball writers across america to get off the Trout bandwagon and give the MVP to Cabrera too.
  17. ggazoo69

I'd be OK with a best of three. I can't believe that isn't the format.

Response to Dre: I would sit Miggy down if he goes something like 0 for 2. I think he has to go 0 for 4 and Trout 4 for 4 to catch Cabrera. If Leyland can manipulate the game in any way, I say do it.

Unbelievable about the A's. Billy Beane is the executive of the year, hands down.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cabrera should sit it out. I think he has played in every game this year though, so maybe get him nominally if he wants the accomplishment of 162 games played.

For MVP, I think that you have to take into account gross production as well. Trout's averages and stats are great, but he was in far fewer games than Cabrera.

Pro Cabrera arguments:
    - Scarier to face (more power)
    - Workhorse
    - Took on a more difficult defensive assignment for the good of his team
    - Triple crown winner
    - Team made the playoffs with him playing great late in the year
    - Has proven that his level of play is sustainable with a monster career so far

Pro Trout arguments:
    - off the charts WAR
    - arguably a better "all around" player with defense and speed factored in
    - did the most that he could have done given his appearances
    - Team had a better record than Detroit and in a tougher division
    - Was the best player on his team (vs Cabrera who is potentially not quite as valuable as Verlander in terms of WAR)
  19. ggazoo69

I would add that Trout is in a better lineup than Detroit's, too, which puts even more pressure on Cabrera to produce. Overall, I think the Angels have better team offensive numbers than Detroit.
  20. LA Dre

More pro Cabrera arguments
    I know its all about the American league, but he also led the majors in Hits, HR's, RBI, Slugging and OPS before today of course. I think his 84 extra base hits league the MLB too.

oh yeah Mike Trout struck out 139 times compared to Migs 97. Miggy has 40 doubles compared Trouts 26

He has played in 160 games....I say rest him and try out our back up third baseman...