1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tigers Tigers 2012

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by LA Dre, Jan 17, 2012.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did you know Game 5 was already over when you posted this? :)

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The other good thing about moving Verlander as far up as possible is that if the Tigers were to win in less than seven, he is ready for a Game 1 WS start.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

no !
    I'm still p/od about game 4 !
    I was driving all day listening to NFL. No update came on and said "S".
    A's payroll is $59.5M
    I read the Yahoo report and they kept throwing Leylands name out like he had something to do with Verlanders gem. If Leyland had his way he would've started Coke and saved Verlander for Opening Day !

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Leyland screws up quite frequently, but he made a lot of great moves to get the Tigers into the ALCS. The best move last night was to simply get out of the way and let Verlander do this thing. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Leyland retired after the Tigers win the World Series in a couple of weeks. But, hindsight is 20/20, you have to play the cards your dealt, all of the other cliches, etc., Leyland is doing a lot of things the right way.

Watching the Tigers celebrate last night after the game, you could see the players go out of their way and embrace Leyland. It was sincere. Irregardless of what the media and the casual Internet fans think, the Detroit Tiger players truly respect the guy.

coynejeremy likes this.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tigers kicked A'ss last night....:biggrin: It was the pitching that did it as they must have struck out close to 40 A's over the five game series. Somebody can fact check me later:graduate:

Yeah the Tigers outscored the A's 17-11 and outhit them 40-30, , but we only got 9 hits 1 HR, and 3 RBI out of Fielder and Miggy.

Glad that other guys stepped up when needed, but we will need more out of this twosome if they expect to win 11 games.. .

Hey how about those three stolen bases last night by the Tigers.....

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though Cabrera and Prince's averages were bad, they are still producing (I'll show how below in more detail). Prince had 2 big hits taken away from him in one game (HR save and a great diving catch in left field). Cabrera's pop up to Crisp was ruled an error, but basically resulted in a W for us. It was close to being a hit and 2 RBI's.

Total bases (including walks)
    T1) Prince (8), Miggy (8), Jackson (8), Infante (8)
    5) Avila (7)
    T6) Dirks (6), Peralta (6)
    8) Berry (5)
    9) Young (4)
    10) Garcia (2)

That is some great balance. Infante effectively became our leadoff man from the 9th spot in the order as he was getting on base every time and running wild.

Keep in mind that so far in the playoffs, the Tigers have the 2nd best team batting average at .252, just behind the Reds at .261.

We held Oakland to the worst average at .194!

We also have the fewest errors in the playoffs, with only 1 (Prince Fielder's missed grounder at 1st I believe). Baltimore has 6 errors already.

We're doing it in all phases of the game so far.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They took advantage of a team over achieving rookies and did not that many mistakes other than the Fielder flub and Valverde's softballs served up in game four.

Remember the mistakes we made in 2006 WS and how the rain threw us out of sync last year in the ALCS.....hopefully with key hits to back up the pitching, we will prevail....

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Many casual Tiger fans expected this roster to have posted about 10-12 more victories than they actually did.
    Leyland viewed the season differently. He figures the team won exactly the correct amount of games.
    The players like him because of the way he runs his clubhouse. He's probably about average when it comes to ML managers.
    I'd like the Tigers to move on next season and find somebody younger. I keep thinking about Sparky, and how he stayed too long.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good call on pitch count 122/120 Dre.
    If the players like Leyland I guess that means something.
    But he's not managing the team well enough to keep me from stressing out!

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

3 al championship appearances in 7 years? Not too shabby.

Sabathia is in a tough spot. Only 3 days of rest to get him in by game 3, and that would be to match with verlander. W might luck out a bit here.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Yankees tomorrow night in the ALCS..........
    We gotta thump those guys.
    Here is where Leyland earns his dough.
    Take us to the WS..........and you get another year on me.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yanks are media darlings, expect a tight strike zone.

13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

A's don't hit well as a team. During the regular season, they had a team batting average of .238, which is 13th out of 14 teams. Also, as a team, they were first in strikeouts. The Yankees, on the other hand, bat .265 as a team and lead the AL in slugging. Tigers pitchers have a big task ahead and the middle and late relievers are mediocre at best. Could be that Porcello and Smyly play at big role, as you suggested in an earlier post.

Also, I hope Leyland was inspired by Girardi in that Girardi sat down is $27 million guy. Valverde should have a tight leash. You can't just toss fastballs in there against this Yankees team. Even the A's could hit those.

14. ggazoo69

Well, I see 'ol Patches brought his buddy Valverde in again in a non-save situation. Jim, why do you keep doing this? You are unbelievable stubborn, not to mention stupid. Even if the Tigers go on to win this series and the World Series, Leyland MUST GO. He continues to put his team in a position to lose when they have battled for eight innings. I am so tired of this. Oh, Ibanez just hit one out. Leyland, you ABSOLUTELY SUCK. Somebody, please, explain to me how someone who has managed this long can make such horrible decisions about pitching. It just does not seem possible.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd rather see leyland pitch than valverde. Terrible.

16. ggazoo69

I have a better idea. Have Leyland and Valverde switch spots. Valverde can manage. That keeps him on the bench.

LA Dre likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even if he lets Valverde start the inning, once he gives up the first home run, you've got to yank him. That was sickening.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Want even a save opp and he blew it. This game is not looking good.

Great houdini action from fister and peralta.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oh momma!

Love the move to put Smyly in for the long haul after screwing around with the old standards. He had some stress after Ichiro's crafty 2 strike hit, but handled it masterfully. Just a really clutch performance overall from him.

We have 22.1 innings of straight shutout baseball by the non Valverde Tigers going right now. 1.1 straight innings of 7 run baseball by the Valverde Tigers.

Maybe this game is a blessing as it hopefully breaks the camel's back and the malboro man has to go cold turkey away from Papa Grande. We have plenty of other options (Albequerque, Dotel, Smyly, Porcello).

On offense tonight, Cabrera continues to quietly be effective as he gets on base 3 times and leads the team with 2 runs. Delmon Young was also great with 3 RBI's.

But in my opinion, the MVP of the night was Peralta. He single handedly got us out of 2 bases loaded jams early and also got on base 4 times and scored a run. His best game of the year as far as I can recall.

36 total hits + walks tonight! On another note, home plate ump was pretty inconsistent IMO. He screwed Valverde a little bit. Bonus thought- when Don Kelly becomes a pinch runner, he will score, guaranteed.

20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Still managed to win this thing in spite of Leyland. Who will close going forward? Valverde looks like he's done at this point.