1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tigers Tigers 2012

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by LA Dre, Jan 17, 2012.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was a controversial play, but to me it is a mute point unless the Yankees had managed to score two runs in their innings and lost 3-2.

Joe tried to give the ultimate (and probably legitimate) response...if the closer has 3-0 run vs the 1-0 lead in the bottom of the ninth, there is less pressure on him..... He may have had a point there....I know I and the rest of Tiger nation felt better with the 3-0 lead. The only pressure Phil Coke had was if Leyland was going to pull him even though he was striking out guys. He kept looking over to the dugout after each of the first two outs either looking for Jim to come out or for his team mates encouragement..

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That was an aweful call.
    ...AWEFUL.
    ...but I'll take it!

The city of Detroit could use a WS championship.

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

No victories taste as good as undeserved victories.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I see you are using the slogan of the Seattle Seahawks.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Horrible call. And I agree with JJ on the pressure argument. However, you just look really pathetic whining about a call that didn't directly result in a run and when it eventually did result in runs, they weren't the go-ahead runs and your team was blanked. It reminds me of the Cubs fans complaining about Bartman when the Cubs allowed a bunch of hits and committed errors afterwards. The bad call was about 10% of their problem yesterday.

One other factor here was that Infante basically made a bone headed base running mistake to even give them a chance to get the call. 95 times out of 100, he just stops at 2nd and there is no tag possible. So the universe's natural outcome for that situation was preserved.

I'd be irritated if that call when against us, but if I were the team's manager, I'd hold my tongue after the fact. The proper response is that it was a missed call and that you understand that these things happen. Then you talk about how the team needs to do a better job of controlling the things that are controllable, yada yada yada.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

TIME FOR INSTANCE REPLAY
    I can't believe some people are gripping about this team DDombrowski has built.
    I wouldn't change a thing, put the 4 biggest canons on the mound and dare people to bat past it.
    Maybe more power than defense.
    No speed, after thought bully.
    However about this JLeyland guy...

7. LA Dre

JV didn't have his best stuff, but he held them scoreless for 8 innings. If I am Gene Lamont, I may have sent Infante home....even with Miggy coming to bat....especially since he led the league in GIDP..... One thing for certain, Both Fielder and Dirks need to get un tracked in this post season if the Tigers expect to give the starters some leeway.....,

[​IMG]

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

ZERO walks. With the wind pumping in from center field, that is just a smart pitching performance by JV. He was behind on several counts 2-0 and 3-0 and he just refused to walk anybody.

Phil Coke let 2 on immediately, but that pitch he threw on the 3-2 count in that situation took some major... guts. Ibanez was looking fastball all the way and looked foolish as he was a mile in front of it.

What a win!

And keep in mind that we just saw a once in a lifetime streak by the starting pitchers of almost 40 consecutive shutout innings against 2 of the best teams in baseball. That makes you much more feared than if you scored a lot of runs.

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Have to love it when your Ace has his B- stuff and still only gives up 2 hits thru 8 innings.... These Yankees though are a tame version of what they were in the regular season, and even those Yankees were weak compared to those of the last 20 years...

10. BillLaimbeer

It kind of bugged me how the announcers kept talking about how "off" Verlander was yesterday. He had a 2-hit shutout without a single walk through 8 innings in the ALCS. Every pitcher in baseball wished they sucked that bad.

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Gotta sweep these guys outta the playoffs tonight.
    If we can close the deal, the Marlboro man can set the pitching linup for the WS.

The Cards vs Giants series will likely go 6 or 7.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

nice to see the other team can't bat.
    i bet we jump on CCS before his elbow gives out.
    you picked a fine time to melt down Yanks.
    mean while ARod is hitting on chicks in the stands while Jeets is whrithing on the infield.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Too long of a break may actually be bad for this team. They are in a great rhythm. I say give valverde some burn tonight so that we can get in one more game at least.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

TaS, that might just be a good excuse for why we got our tails whipped. If we lose WS.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, how good was that Turner for Infante + Sanchez trade? We wouldn't have even made the playoffs if it wasn't for that. Just think if the Pistons could trade a D-leaguer for 2 starters.

As far as getting our tails whipped... anything is possible in baseball. Verlander is really the closest thing to a sure thing and he almost lost that game last night. This could be the 3rd WS appearance by the Tigers in my lifetime. I'll always take that... or the Lions in the SB, or the Pistons in the Finals. The Red Wings are the only team that is all or nothing for me.

16. LA Dre

You mean you missed roly poly Mickey Lolich's 68 Tigers?? I was 13 then and remember it to this day and the burning cars afterwards......

17. LA Dre

Please .... No Grande tonight unless the Tigers jump on CC for 7 plus runs...:falloff:

18. BillLaimbeer

I would be okay if they had a 7-run lead and Valverde pitched to one batter and the crowd didn't boo too bad.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Yanks decided to give CC his full amount of rest, so we are in for a tough one tonight. Scherzer came out early last game since he was a bit out of shape from the injury layoff. The danger tonight is that he also has mid game fatigue and we have to fill 4+ innings with the pen. In that scenario, I'd rather see Smyly or Porcello get a chance to fill out the rest of the game rather than patchwork a bunch of relievers.

Also, Scherzer's start probably means another benching for A-wad. 12 K's in 16 at bats so far for him I believe. He must have dialed back on the juice this year.

20. LA Dre

Looks like it is A-wad and Grandy who will be benched. Granderson appears to be wearing his old Tiger undershirt under the pinstripes as he is 0-10 with 6 strikeouts. and it appeared that he flubbed a catch vs Miggy last night in center that led to the eventual winning run,,,,,,