Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

How well Infante plays on his return Monday will determine if we should bring up Castellanos cuz Dirks has maxxed out his potential to me and I think Tui has hit his ceiling too
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Glad to see that we went down fighting. Al Al's achilles heel is that he walks too many. Other than that, they didn't really get to him too badly. That last hit was lucky.

CLE lost, so no damage.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dirks is this years Ryan Raburn. If JL likes him so much, it's time to see how he does in the bullpen because he never comes up big at the bat when needed.

I am thinking you put Infante behind VMart. After all it's not power that is needed in the 6th spot...just someone that can get on base and keep the rally going.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Well, Miggy is still tearing up Broadway!!! LOL........and did u see the play by Iglesias?????? Helloooooooooooooooo!??
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

The reason they WONT bring up Castellanos before the rosters expand is Leyland would have to cut Santiago, Kelly or Dirks. I just think Tui needs more at bats than Kelly does to keep him fresh....I'd still trade all 4 and Porcello for Giancarlo Stanton.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don Kelly isn't flashy, but he quietly gives you a .350 OBP and some key hits and RBIs. Tui started out hot, but pitchers have figured him out.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i like em all...i love a team that has good teammates and one thing JL does is keep a tidy clubhouse.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Tigers win easy!!! Miggy , Jax and Tori go deep..Sanchez is too smooth...Great team win....and now my evening is free...Guess I'll hit a mooovie.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If only we still have Valverde !
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

After CLE was nipping at our heels, we all of sudden have the 2nd biggest divisional lead in all of baseball at 7.5 games... about to be 8.0 unless CLE mounts a huge comeback.

Triple crown update for Miggy:
    Average- he's already locked it up
    HRs- he's 7 behind (35 to 42). Unless Davis gets injured, this is probably insurmountable.
    RBIs- he is tied with Davis at 109.

Still, a tremendous follow up season. Cabrera is having a better year overall than last year. Davis is just on a historic HR pace (would be 59 HRs if he played all games at this rate).
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our record right now: 69-46 (pythagorean record = 74-41)
    Record at this point in 1984: 74-41

That means that we'd be 5.0 games out of 1st right now if they were in our division this year. They went 30-17 the rest of the way though, so this team will have to go 35-12 to catch them. Possible, but not too likely. The 1984 team got off to the greatest start ever, slowed down a lot in the middle, and finished strong. That is probably the ideal dynamic for a team over the course of the year.

2013 team OPS: .783
    1984 team OPS: .774

2013 team ERA: 3.53
    1984 team ERA: 3.49

2013 run differential per game: +1.36
    1984 run differential per game: +1.15

Top 5 OPS players from the 9 guys who got the most plate appearances:
    Cabrera: 1.124/ Gibson: .879
    Peralta: .822/ Trammel: .851
    Hunter: .807/ Lemon: .852
    Fielder: .791/ Whitaker: .764
    Infante: .787/ Evans: .737
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Miguel and Victor tying it up in the 9th with solo shots off Rivera. Almost unreal
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't think we should abuse the Yankee they could retaliate with a run like 1995-2003
    Let them think they can get some base hits and pretend they are awesome !
  14. LA Dre

Deja vu...

Tigers leave several players on base including 5 in the first two innings, scratch their way back with dingers by Miggy (and Pena and Vmart, have Rivera blow a save and then lose a on a walkoff hit by Bret Gardiner.

The loss kinda ties to the PED issue IMO.....Tigers can't find anyone to fill in at the sixth spot in either game one or game 3 due to the Peralta issue, and in today's game suspension avoider A-Roid knocks in two of the Yankees 5 runs.

Also John Smoltz was the color commentator on both the MLB broadcast game on Friday and the TBS game today. Note to file, please make sure Fox does not hire him to be in the booth for any post season Tiger games.....
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

STUPIDEST LOSS in a long time!! Tigers are on a 18-3 streak...BUT...to lose the game on a bad game from Verlander- AGAIN...and homers to Rod and Gardner just pisses me off ESPECIALLY after getting to Rivera. Leyland had Perez batting SEVENTH and STILL didnt pinch hit for him in the 9th after tying the game. PENA was great-AGAIN and yet he batted EIGHTH?? Jackson looked like an idiot after Hunters fly out in the 8th AFTER Iglesias was called out at second when he was safe by 2 seconds!!!!!!!!!!....The 6th batter will haunt us this year unless their is someone on the waiver wire or we dont bring up Casty cuz like I said before Tuiassosopo is done...
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

BTW- Veras IS 0-5 this year......he is NOT a 9th inning pitcher
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Veras has a 2.70 ERA. In his previous 17 appearances (18.1 innings), he didn't let in a single run. Also, 24 out of his last 25 were scoreless. He's kind of a stud and has probably only been put in with leads his year, which makes posting W's pretty tough. His last L before today was May 28th.

In terms of the disappointment over runners left on base, consider that we are 2nd in the league in average with RISP and 1st in slugging %. It just seems like we leave a lot on base because we always have runners on (and because it is the team we're rooting for). In reality, we are either the best or second best at clearing the bases, as partially evidenced by our top standing in runs scored per game.

Our .291 average looks incredible when you consider that the Pirates are 2nd to last with a .227 batting average with RISP. It's amazing they are winning so many games.

The prior criticism that we can't score late in games has been crumbling for a while. We have clawed our way back from dead last to 8th/9th in the AL in terms of scoring after the 7th and 8th innings. Cabrera's recent exploits and Martinez's post all star game tear (batting .460+) are really helping. I doubt they are approaching those at bats any differently than before, it's just regular ebbs and flows of batting combined with VMart gaining his timing back after the long absence.

Just some further breakdowns since I'm in the filters:
    Innings 1-6: we have the best offense and the best pitching.
    Innings 7-9+: we are about average offensively and slightly better than average pitching-wise. Both of these have climbed from the depths, so we've probably been near the top in both for the past month or so. Just need to split it 2 ways (last x days and 7th inning or later)... but can't figure out how to do it.

Overall, we have the lowest ERA in the AL and it is ridiculously great since the all-star game. Since then, our team ERA has been 2.17 (with an opponent batting average of only .209).

One other thing that I think is interesting and encouraging:
    - In losses, we have the highest OPS in the league. i.e. our losses are the least futile. Our ERA is also 6th best. This seems to indicate a lot of close losses, which jives with the high pythagorean win expectation... saying that we are better than our record.
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

the ONLY stat that matters is the FINAL SCORE!...
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stats matter when they are predictive or if you're trying to dissect outcomes. They are the accounting of sports. If you ran a company, you'd want to dig a little deeper than the net income line.

But, in terms of final scores, we are doing really well with our league leading run differential and our overall record.
    The Panda likes this.
  20. LA Dre

Great stats that have us in first place, but can it be sustained in the post season?? I just hate that we struggled to push runs across the plate in the early innings ON national TV and then tied the game in the late innings and we still couldn't steal the win.

A potential championship team would have pulled one or both of these games out once they got to Rivera.
    Nemo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.