Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Great way to end the season, guys. I guess it really doesn't matter. Kind of embarrassing though.
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

IT DOES MATTER!!! A total embarrassment to the hard working alumni of Detroit! And World Champions DO NOT get no hit by the worst team in baseball sans Houston!
    LA Dre likes this.
  3. ggazoo69

They're NOT world champions. Not yet anyway. Re-read what I said, too. I said it was embarrassing.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even in a meaningless game with your B squad batting there should be some concern if they are no hit and you get swept by a last place team scoring three runs in three games and 4 in your last four.
    The fab five starting crew were the only guys who came to play this past 5-6 games. I am officially worried.
  5. ggazoo69

I guess all the offense is at Ford Field today.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If a 3-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts is holding your own, I'll take it. The offense stunk, but JL's lineup indicated this was a tank/giveaway game.
  7. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What the Tigers did the past three games will be long forgotten if they win the WS. On the other hand,
    if they get blown out by the A's, Dombo, and Leyland will never hear the end of it. Such is life in
    the big time.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

you also said 'I guess it really doesnt matter'...my point was I dont see history stating that this team that was No Hit by Florida will win a championship this year.
  9. ggazoo69

It doesn't matter. It was game 162 and they weren't playing for anything. They weren't playing for home field advantage. They were playing out the string. It's not like they were saying, "We better win this game or our fans on PistonsForum.com will be upset."
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's not history until it is made BROTHER SKOOL! :)
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Marlins' Alvarez Throws Odd No-Hitter Vs Tigers - ABC News

Here is my question. Why was Alvarez in the on-deck circle when the bases were loaded and there were 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th? Under what circumstances could he possibly have come to the plate?

It's also a little strange that we had an interleague game to end the season. Was this a make up game or something?

Fortunately for us, if we happen to make it to the WS, we'll have HFA (due to Leyland's managing mastery in the all star game). Just gotta polish off the A's and the BoSox/ Indians to get there.

If we make it there, we'll probably end up against St. Louis again. It's getting to be quit a rivalry.
  12. BillLaimbeer

It actually did make history. It was the first no-hitter in the history of major league baseball to end on a wild pitch.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If momentum is a factor, then we are out by the end of next week, and the team that finished the season with a 10 game winning streak called the Indians will win the world series.

The Tigers finished 13-13 for September and Cleveland finished 21-6. The Indians who trailed the Tigers by 6.5 games last Sunday finished only one game back of the Tigers.

Of course if the winner of the Rays/Rangers game can knock off the Indians on Wednesday after their one game playoff, the Indians after all that glory may be sitting at home watching the playoffs this weekend and will reflect on the sweep the Tigers laid on them back in August....
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You're funny, Dre. I am sure if Tigers needed to win a few more games they would've done it. I also do not like rolling into the playoffs in this fashion, but I guess we will see what happens. We owned Tribe the entire year.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I still like the Tigers.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  16. ggazoo69

This new playoff format is ridiculous and this season really illustrates it. The Rangers and Rays are competing in a play-in game to see who gets to be in the next play-in game against the Indians.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm seeing a lot of analysis that is saying that the playoff rotation will be 1) Scherzer, 2) Verlander, 3) Sanchez, 4) Fister

The rationale is that Verlander is better on the road this year and that he had a lot of success against the A's last post season. Also, he is used to environment/ pressure and could theoretically go again in a game 5 if needed (say Scherzer gets bombed in game 1 and Verlander is lights out for instance... though highly unlikely).

This has me thinking about Sanchez. The dude has this season's AL ERA title at 2.57.

Here are the last 5 guys before him to win the AL ERA title:
    2012: David Price- Cy Young winner
    2011: Verlander- MVP/ Cy Young winner
    2010: Felix Hernandez- Cy Young winner
    2009: Zack Grienke- Cy young winner
    2008: Cliff Lee- Cy young winner

2013: Anibal Sanchez- 3rd starter in post season

I know he was injured and missed a few starts, but dang is he getting overlooked. He struck out 17 batters in one game this year. He took a no hitter into the 9th inning. He's 3rd in K rate. 1st in HR rate. 1st in adjusted pitching wins.

Interesting comments from Scherzer on Sanchez's skills:

Even Verlander finished the season as the 16th best pitcher in the AL, which is pretty darn useful. He was at his best in September.

Pedro Martinez had a down year in 2004 with a 3.90 ERA. That also happens to be the year that the Sox won the WS with Martinez as their 3rd starter.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Here's to Francona.
  19. BillLaimbeer

Elimination games always create great drama and great TV ratings (think March Madness). That's what the money-grubbers want. It stinks for the losing team, though.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is kind of crazy to have baseball come down to 1 game since every team is built around a 5 man pitching rotation.

A 2nd place team in one division might be drastically better than another division's winner. That 2nd place team might then have a 1 game play-in against a much weaker team with a worse record, but with one great pitcher (think of a Chris Sale type guy).

If the Tigers were in that position, I'd really think that it was a bad system.

On the plus side, it does make the last month or so of the baseball season more interesting because more teams are potentially in the playoffs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.