Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Not working

LA Dre likes this.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He'd make bullpen stronger...

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL...and the bullpen would be fishing and golfing with the rest of the Tigers right now...

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

heck yea...he coulda done better than our guy in the 9th tonight.

5. BillLaimbeer

Excellent point. We would have been down 12-3 at that point, though....and the A's wouldn't have needed to bat in the 9th.

Just eat your crow and get it over with.

mikhail1973 likes this.
  6. Nemo

C'mon Bill, you're just making stuff up to sell your point.
    You can do better than that. :)

7. BillLaimbeer

I rest my case.

8. Nemo

Made ya look..................

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would be an interesting psychological move starting a game with Smyly for 1 inning and bringing in Benoit to close out the 2nd. If we have the lead or a tie, bring in Verlander to close out the game.

What a performance tonight. It was uncomfortable hearing the announcers blab about the perfect game and no hitter at various points. But they're not homers and pointing out the situations was probably important for the National audience that was watching it more passively. A 3 run lead has never seemed safer IMO, until the 8th when JV starting showing signs of fatigue.

Great move by Leyland overruling JV and pulling him. Not because Benoit barely got the job done, but because of his logic (i.e. Verlander was fatigued and bringing in Benoit with inherited runners is tougher mentally).

Verlander- what can you say to someone that didn't watch it? Masterful. Especially so given his struggles throughout the first 80% of the season. Having to use Scherzer in game 4 paid off I believe as it shifted the rotation and forced us to put in the dominator. 30+ scoreless postseason innings in a row against the A's???? Has any team ever been owned that hard by one dude?

I would have played Dirks over Kelly, but otherwise, JL pulled every string exactly how I would have hoped. Peralta at SS with JV pitching wasn't much of a sacrifice defensively and was a huge upgrade at the plate.

Recap of the series:
    Game: Tigers/ A's
    1: 3-2 (domination by Max)
    2: 0-1 (domination by JV... but Sonny shined brighter)
    3: 3-6 (shaky one by Sanchez)
    4: 8-6 (shaky one by Fister and strange win by Scherzer)
    5: 3-0 (utter domination by JV)

Total: 17-15
    Ave: 3.4-3.0

The A's were lucky to get a masterful performance from their rookie in game 2. Without that, they would have been stamped out in 4. Max and JV were just too much to overcome.

Tigers v Sox should be a tough one.

Saturday- Game 1 @ BOS: Sanchez (5 days rest)
    Sunday- Game 2 @ BOS: Scherzer (5 days rest)
    Monday-
    Tuesday- Game 3 in DET: Verlander (5 days rest)
    Wednesday- Game 4 in DET: Fister (8 days rest)
    Thursday- Game 5 @BOS: Sanchez (5 days rest)
    Friday-
    Saturday- Game 6 in DET: Scherzer (6 days rest)
    Sunday- Game 7 @BOS: Verlander :sssh: (5 days rest)

So, the Sox will get 1 game against a guy not named Scherzer/Verlander/Sanchez in this series, and it will be with their worst starting pitcher. I don't see any problems with the way that our rotation is ordered or any rest or overuse. Fister is the only one with a weird gap and that might actually help him. His counterpart that game will be facing the same thing.

I'm assuming Sanchez gets the game 1 start, but it could easily be given to Scherzer too. Not sure how much that matters.

This team was built for a 7 game post season series, so let's get it on! I like our team better than last year with VMart/Iglesias/Hunter/Veras, no Valverde, and Benoit closing.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Congrats Tigers.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We won despite our lead off hitter striking out 13 times and our second batter Torii Hunter fanning 6 times. They were a combined 5 for 39 in the series. They got to do better that to get 4 games from BoSox, Lucky that Hunter got one of his three hits tonight and was on base when MiggVP hit the game winning home run. Other wise, the bases were empty most of the times when Cabrera came to the plate.

Avila struckout 5 times, but also led the team in walks with 4. VMart really stepped up his hitting with 9 hits, 14 total TB and scored 5 runs. Jhonny-we reallymissed you-Peralta was huge with 5 hits including the the big homer on Tuesday when it appeared all was lost. Fielder got 5 quiet hits, and Cabrera's 5th hit was the game winner.

JV hasn't given up a run since Sept 18, but the Tigers were shut out in three of his starts since then, so he was not able to get a W until it really counted...TONIGHT!!!
    MVP Cabrera hadn't hit a homer since Sept 17, but he got when it really counted ..TONIGHT!!

Tiger pitchers set a new LDS record striking out 57 A's....21 by Verlander, 13 by Max and 6 each by Sanchez and Benoit. (Fister only 1?)

Can they dominate Red Sox?? Hope So!!

Benoit is starting to remind me of Papa Grande...he is getting the save, but can't seem to shut down the opposition 1-2-3 without some nervous drama.

Somebody please tell Dombrowski not to wear his green leprechan tie when they go to the Boston on Saturday. Some Oakland A's kid even went over to him and asked for his autograph after the game..:lame:

8 more w's to cross off for all of the glory!!:cheerlie-GOAL::cheerlie-GOAL:

Time to adopt Katie Perry's ROAR as their theme some.....I got the eye of the Tiger and you are going to hear me ROARRRR!!

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Actually, Kelly is hitting better right now. I have been really impressed with Kelly at the plate. He doesn't swing at bad pitches and doesn't look overmatched out there. He doesn't try to do much and just attempts to put the ball in play. Dirks was 0 for 3 in the series and Kelly was 2 for 5. Dirks suffers from Brandon Inge Disease sometimes with the long swing.

I hope the bats continue to wake up. The team has only batted .235 this postseason and Boston is at .286. But Detroit's pitching has been better.

There's nothing I can say about Verlander that hasn't already been said. He turned in a Jack Morris-like, ice-in-his-veins-type performance last night. Actually, when Verlander is on he has better stuff than Morris.

Being a New Englander now, I am looking forward to the series. Nothing would make me smile wider than a series win over the Sux.

linwood likes this.
  13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Jackson has been terrible. I can't imagine Leyland meddling with the lineup in the playoffs, but it wouldn't bother me if he made a HQ Skool-suggested fix.

14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

True dat, Great One.....

But first,I'm going to enjoy this series win cuz I'd rather lose in 4 to Boston than in FIVE to the A's!! They are just a tough ass team!!! But we still should have swept them. Verlander seems to have been right all along about storing up for the playoffs.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- This is a tremendous RedSox team. They have solid starting pitching with Buckholz, Leister and Peavy to pitch two games each and that unhittable Uehura(?) in the pen. Here's my position by position comparison and advantage in CAPS:

CATCHER- Salty vs Avila....REDSOX......Salty .273, 14 hr's and very clutch----Avila barely standing upright to finish season
    1ST BASE- Napoli vs Fielder.....REDSOX....Naps 25 homers in 498 atbats..Fielder 25 in 624!!
    2nd base- Pedroia vs Infante...REDSOX...Peds a former MVP...Infante missed 2 months cuz his foot hurt
    3rd base- Middlebrooks vs 2/3 Cabrera...TIGERS>..2/3 is better than none...Watch this kid though,17 HRS in 340 at bats
    Shortstop- Drew vs Peralta/Iglesias....TIGERS...We get offense for 7 innings and Iglesias for defense, bunting and speed off the bench
    Left field- Carv/Nava vs whatever we got...REDSOX....Carv/Nava combined for 23 hrs and 106 rbi
    Center field- Ellsbury vs Jackson...REDSOX...Another MVP vs a guy with 13 strikeouts and a broken bat single
    Right Field- Victorino vs Hunter..EVEN...two old guys provide spark and hustle
    DH- Ortiz vs Martinez.....EVEN..two of the best who ever did it
    Starters- TIGERS- Cy Young candidates vs very solid staff
    Relievers- REDSOX- Uehura-nuff said
    Bench- REDSOX- do we even TRY to pinch hit,pinch run, etc....
    Manager/Coaches- REDSOX....Last year REDSOX -AWFUL, this year-ALDS! Tigers are what we thought they are. No change. No better.

SOX in 6 IF- Scherzer cant bounce back from being in the pen and Fielder gets 0 RBI ..AGAIN!
    TIGERS in 6- IF Sanchez and Fister win at least ONE game and Fielder hits 3 homers

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One of the commenters on espn noted that somebody changed the A's Wikipedia page to list Justin verlander as the owner.
    Not sure if that's true, but pretty funny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would have been a great game to be at as a road fan. I'd have a big sign "thank you Belfour".

17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

As I said at the time "He woke up the preverbial Sleeping Giant!"

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Was a little disappointed that VMart got stranded on-deck in the 9th... but it was probably better that way to keep the crowd a little more out of the game.

19. LA Dre

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  20. LA Dre

You have to wonder if VMart sent Balfour a thank you text after last nights game...with a few bleeps in it. Their confrontation was the spark that got him and the Tigers going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.