Tigers Tigers 2013

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TaS, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

who cares about a no hitter.....get the win!!!!

2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

QUENTIN BERRY PINCH RUNNING! OY!

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

TIGERS WIN!!!!!!!!

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THE most thrilling Tiger win Ive seen in the playoffs EVER!!! Now Sox have to beat Scherzer and Verlander TWICE EACH!! 3 wins 2 go!

linwood likes this.
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Tigers 3 stars:

1. SANCHEZ
    2. PERALTA
    3. ALBURQREQUE

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Talking about hold your breath to the end....like I said the other day, Benoit is just like Papa Grande...first the drama, then the sweating it out and then the joy and celebration. can I get a 1-2-3 save buddy?? Thank you

Miscelaneous stats to ponder:

Tigers were 1 for 11 with runners in scoring position.,
    Tiger pitchers combined for 17 strikeouts, 6 BB and 1 run. This was the third starter, three setup men and our closer.
    The way the pitchers grooving, all we need is 3 runs a game from the batters to sweep through the remaining two series.....

linwood likes this.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

OK, THE WAY WE pitch, instead of needing 28 runs over 4 games...4 might do it.

8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Great game. Still not sure why Jimmy never tries the suicide squeeze - Kelley can handle the bat just fine.
    Jackson with possibly the worst at-bat of the playoffs in the 9th inning fouling 2 bunt attempts and striking out after that.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder what the foul ball rate is on bunts in general. I have the sneaking feeling that the odds would say to continue bunting with 2 strikes, especially for a guy like AJ who has been striking out about a third of the time.

What an amazing game. This is why it would have been such a shame to get bumped by the A's. We are the best team in baseball... just need to prove it... and get some luck. After all, that was supposedly our 3rd best pitcher dealing a no hitter tonight.

But a no hitter is too much to ask for against arguably the best offense in the AL. I'll take a W on the road any which way it comes about. 17 K's is Randy Johnson vs John Kruk type domination. Who cares who our left fielder is when BOS only hits 1 ball to him all night? I could have played left field and the Tigers would have still won 1-0 (if Peralta could have batted for me of course).

Also good news is that we were getting to Lester pretty good, despite the lack of conversion. I like our lineup against a lefty like that (with VMart a switch hitter and Peralta on fire).

Avila on Sanchez:
    "Effectively wild today. He was a little erratic, but his stuff was nasty. I mean, I felt like a hockey goalie back there. But he was so nasty and we stayed unpredictable. We tried to stay unpredictable and not fall into any patterns. I think that's one thing-- I kept them off balance. I didn't know what pattern we were going with and whatever felt right at the moment basically. His stuff's nasty and he's had a tremendous season."

First of all, he's kind of insinuating that Sanchez 'didn't have his A-game', which speaks to how good this pitcher is.

I think we also need to give some credit to Avila on the unpredictable pitch patterns and the feel that he has with our gifted pitchers and against some really tough lineups. He's making some gutsy calls if they are indeed his own. The number of K's that were the result of off speed pitches with 3 balls was insane. They are so unexpected that they are even more effective than usual, but the pitcher have to be aces to pull it off over and over. He's not throwing out any baserunners, but for the most part, I don't think many catchers would. We have all righty pitcher except for Smily, and they are focused on getting K's, not abbreviating their deliveries.

* What a catch by Drew to keep it a 1-0 game! Should have been 3-0 all day long. Only other guy in the park that could have made that play was Iglesias.

** Also, Veras' stuff did look particularly wicked. Maybe a little rest was good for him. Hard fastball with great location and a hook that was dropping off the table. If they sat on it, they'd probably still have trouble even fouling it off. PLEASE more of the same next time.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Let's go Tigers.

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Craziest 1-0 game I've ever watched. 4 hours. 322 pitches. 20 LOB. No-hitter broken up in the 9th. Very intense.

Some of Veras' pitches were amazing

linwood likes this.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Veras looked like a magician. I admit, I questioned Leyland's call when he pulled him out after an inning. But they got the win.

Roar!

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Tigers delivered the most strikeouts ever by a pitching staff this season. I didn't know that.

linwood likes this.
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Can't say much that hasn't already been said. I enjoyed the Fox camera action in the bottom of the ninth as it scanned the tense Fenway crowd. There were a lot of long faces, that's for sure. I was disappointed with Kelly's at-bat in the ninth with guys on second and third. You gotta get that ball in play. Cabrera can't run, and is only 50% the hitter he can be, and I think this could become a liability since Fielder is only hitting so-so. A-Jax is horrible and Leyland needs to make a lineup change. Put Iglesias up there and bat A-Jax ninth. It may feel like a slap in the face, but it might help A-Jax to stop pressing. At least Iglesias can scratch out infield hits. A-Jax is not a leadoff hitter. Never has been, never will be.

Great pitching effort, but to be honest, our pitchers got a lot of borderline calls. But I think you need that to get that result last night and the Boston manager even said that the umpire calls were not the reason the Sox only got one hit last night.

Pitching is not going to be the only thing that wins this thing. We will need some clutch hits along the way, too. The Red Sox are a great team.

Nemo likes this.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know only had onlya one run lead, but I would have possibly tried the squeeze bunt with Kelly in there. He was hitting for Miggy, and we would have been shocked if he had hit a homer. I guess with two men in scoring position you swing away?? Of course he could have brought in Dirks to bat and put him in left.

If Kelly can bunt, then you cross everyone up because you got a speedster on third ready to charge home.

Oh well, they won...we will wait for the scenario to occur again.

Catching a flight out this evening, so will probably only see the first inning at LAX...here's hoping the Tigers are up 2 games to none when I land. :good:

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's a little harder executing a suicide squeeze against a right-handed pitcher. Once the pitcher sees the guy from third breaking from home, he can alter his pitch with something out of the strike zone and the runner is dead meat.

17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

tom brady may have Fenway park going nuts tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

18. ggazoo69

Damn. Ajax can't buy a hit.

19. ggazoo69

Getting high time for one of these umps to toss a Red Sox hitter for all the yammering they are doing.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly. You aren't supposed to be able to argue balls and strikes. It is fun to watch them whine, though. It was priceless last night watching all of the Red Sox fans begging and praying for a measly hit.

It was interesting the announcers said that Jackson is getting sick and tired of everyone talking about him striking out all of the time. Perhaps he should do something about it. If we had someone else that could play CF, Jackson would be sitting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.