Tigers TIGERS 2014 THREAD

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Oct 24, 2013.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

• lost in canadian tRANSOLOGY
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Gonzalez is the hitting hero with the game-tying AND the game-winning RBIs. Anyone watch the game? How was JV? Seemed like he is still a bit inefficient: 6 innings and a over a 100 pitches. I realize that he's not going to throw 120 pitches on Opening Day, but I think he can throw fewer pitches and eat more innings. Maybe not though.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I saw most of Verlander's innings. I thought he pitched a pretty game. His curve was very sharp, especially for the first game of the year. He couldn't find the strike zone in the 4th inning. He got squeezed by the umpire on a few key pitches. He walked three the entire game, but they were all in the 4th inning. He was over 30 pitches that inning so that made for his early exit. JV mowed them down the first 3 innings, but the Royals made some adjustments and batted more patiently after that. Even on their outs, they were going deeper into the count. It's a good strategy to drive up the pitch count.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

New guy with the walk off!
  5. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

grandson watching...will post in a lil bit...great win for The Ausmus'.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

TIGERS PREVIEW 2014:

Admittedly I dont watch much pre-season anything because it makes the excitement of Openong Days more fun for me. So I waited until watching yesterday's Game 1 before making my annual TIGERS PREDICTIONS 2014 observations. So , here we go:
    HITTING (AVG, HR, RBI)
    C- ALEX AVILA .275, 14, 65.... a catcher's main job is to handle the staff and make them comfortable and that's one thing Avila has done well as The tigers have been a top 5 staff every year he has been here. I believe Ausmus being a former catcher will do a lot to keeping Avila healthy for 125 games(his expected starts) A good example is having avila removed for a pinch runner in the 9th yesterday. The Tigers need to go 75-50 in games Avila starts.
    1B- MIGUEL CABRERA .363, 41, 129......THE BEST HITTER I'VE EVER SEEN but will have a higher batting average due to more walks this year. I still hope we can get a Giancarlo Stanton steal at some point this year (yes Nelson Cruz homered on opening day for the O's) but Cabrera is in another stratosphere. And let me end this stupid Mike Trout debate!! Trout hit a 2 run HR last night AND AGAIN THE ANGELS LOST. Trout's W-L last two years 167-157 ,NO PLAYOFFS ...CABRERA'S RECORD: 181-143 AND TWO LCS FINALS!!!!!!! NUFF SAID!
    2B- IAN KINSLER .282, 15, 66, 25 SB'S.......All he needs to do is stay healthy, make plays at second base and lead by example. Those 3 things are paramount if Tigers are to win WS.
    SS- ALEX GONZALEZ .260, 13, 60......SEE ABOVE
    3B- NICK CASTELLANOS .268, 21, 81.....Fred Lynn and Jim Rice had rookie seasons in 1975 of .331, 21, 105 and .309, 22, 82 with Boston. If nick has even 75% of that, it would be perfect.
    LF- RAJAI DAVIS .257, 6, 45 40 sb's.....I'm hoping he will be more of a platoon player because of a trade on th horizon but I still see him contributing as a pinch runner and speed merchant running us into 5 wins on his speed alone.
    CF- AUSTIN JACKSON ...301, 21, 84....will be the breakout player of the year as the Tori hunter effect will start to pay dividends
    RF- TORII HUNTER .305, 16, 77...I Still think he has tons of mileage left basically by playing in mild climates like Minny and Detroit more and the sunny skies of Anaheim. Just good to have around the clubhouse. I hope he stays two more years as an effective bench presence at the least.
    DH- VICTOR MARTINEZ .325, 18, 116...The difference between him and Fielder is that Vic won't leave 258 runners on base as Fielder did last year ( A TRUE STAT!) If leyland would have had the guts to bat Victor 3rd, Cabrera 4th and then Fielder after Miggs got hurt, Tigers may have made it to World Series.What i worry about is who will bat behind Vic this year. Do not be surprised to see a major trade by June....(yes- u know I mean Stanton)
    BENCH: OUR superior weakness! It actually FRIGHTENS ME. Late inning pinch hitting is absolutely non -existent. We have convenient players in KELLY, ROMINE and COLLINS...but I will better when Iglesias and Dirks return making Gonzalez and Davis better platoon players.

PITCHING (WIN-LOSE, ERA)

JUSTIN VERLANDER , 19-8, 2.78.....WILL compete for the Cy Young Award this year. Must keep pitch count down and lowering his strikeouts will do that. Will have much more games pitching into the 9th than he did with leyland.
    MAX SCHERZER, 20-13, 3.15.....WILL regret not signing the big contract . A lot of Max games won last year were due to Tigers giving him best run support in baseball. That wont happen this year. But he still will have solid season because no team has a Number 2 starter that can match him on most nights.
    ANIBAL SANCHEZ 16-11, 2.55....I think his small stature will find him missing some starts here and there but the same theory follows as Max..No other team can throw a better Number 3 pitcher at him.
    RICK PORCELLO, 14-14, 4.00....I just dont know with him...he SHOULD be the breakout pitcher of the year. He is 25 with 6 years experience. He could go 17-9 or his usual 13-12...something tells me somewhere in between if the defense is top 5 in league.
    DREW SMYLY, 12-4, 3.58...This guy will NOT lose games! Watch! He will give us 5-6 good innings 90% of his starts. His record will be due to the bullpen's effectiveness. I still would put him in as the number 3 between Max and Sanchez at least until playoffs start.

LONG Relief: I am a big fan of Evan Reed and him and Krol will be good for 2 innings each. Phil Coke can NOT be as bad as he was last year. AL B Sure is a wild card. Will see how he does after June. Putkonen will surprise us all.

CLOSER: JOE NATHAN, 5-0, 1.88. 45 SAVES....here's what he did yesterday..three outs-THIRTEEN PITCHES!!! NOT THE 25-30 IT usually tool Todd Jones and Papa Fattybutt. Nuff said.

MANAGER/STAFF: 10000 games of big league experience and they were GOOD players, too! Little things like running the bases, defensive positioning and not eating during a post game press conference will add 7 wins to this team alone!!!

PREDICTION: I CAN only base this on everyone being 80% healthy. I have my starting pitchers going 81-50 which kind of balances out my prediction of Avila going 75-50 in HIS starts. Nathan being 5-0 makes us 86-50 for 136 games. That leaves 26 games for the rest. If the bullpen can split those games (13-13) THE TIGERS WILL FINISH 99-63. So give or take the 7WINS from the manager, The Tigers should finish no worse than 92-70 and thats my prediction.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Forget about Cabrera and Verlander, the leadership Kinsler brings will be what puts this team over the top.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You made my day. Thank you.
    OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

as he showed today...Kinsler with HR and game winning hit.. Max didnt pitch well at all and throws 8 shutout innings.....Tigers start 2 and 0 and our number three starter who won the ERA title last year goes tomorrow and our MVP hasnt had to carry a bag yet..These wins versus KC will come in handy at the end of year!...LAWDY!
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I know baseball.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Huh? :dizzy:

Max struggled in the first, but he threw a gem after that.
  13. Nemo

Now Bill...let's look at his stats.

7 strikeouts
    1 walk
    8.0 innings pitched.
    110 pitches
    72 for a strike.
    0.00 ERA
    surrendered a whopping 4 hits.

Wonder why Skool doesn't like the outing.
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Ausmus 2-2 for on challenges today.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Today's challenge at first base took a while (3 minutes), but I like the system. Why not get it correct if technology allows for it?
  16. BillLaimbeer

Well, Scherzer wants about $30 million per season. That's about a $1 million per start. That first inning was certainly not worthy of $125,000. I see where Old Skool is coming from now.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Two wins in the 9th or later. Love it.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good stuff Skoo, 20-13 for Max ?
  19. Nemo

What's interesting about that prediction is Max will get around 33 starts for the season.
    Roughly 162 games divided by 5 starters...
    A 20-13 record would indicate that the starter will get credit for all decisions (won or loss).
    In his first start...he got no decision...
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

OH YEAH??? who was last player before Miggy to win back to back MV
    Because I ACTUALLY WATCHED the game. I told yall how I feel about STATS ( Mike "statman" Trout and the Angels are 0-3) Max really fought it out there. My point to his credit was , if thats how he pitches WHEN HE STRUGGLES, imagine when he turns it up. The Butler double play was key.