1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tigers deal for Sheffield

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mercury, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Always good to see both sides and you bring up some good points... and now for mine.

Jane you ignorant slut (lol)....
    1) Sheff is coming off a wrist injury... we know his style is to waggle the bat non stop
    2) Sheff is at the age where you lose bat speed
    3) Sheff can't play any field position well
    4) We're overloaded with right handed bats... does this mean we don't have a position for picking up a solid lefty?... Is Thames done?
    5) That's a lotta team salary to tie up... does this mean our FA shopping spree is done?
    6) We should have taken Mags shaky fielding and made him the DH
    7) Taking bets on one of the 3 pitching prospects coming back to bite us (I like the Smoltz analogy)
    8) I could be wrong about 1-7 :^)

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Alright Roscoe... now you know you can't just sneak this one by without a response... Why trust hardcore fans that have followed this team (ie know about what's going on)... vs someone who just jumped onboard.
    ..now go to your room and don't come out till you buy Ernie Harwell's book :^)

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was doing pretty good until you came along!

Great thread, great people, just having fun.

I am tired of the latent pessimism of the Tiger Elite however. Give the Iron Sheff a chance...

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sorry...IMO the Iron Sheff don't cook anymore. However, if he brings something great to the plate next year I will be pleasantly surprised.:burgereater:

5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

detteam, you are right. I completelyt forgot that I had heard that Casey is filing for free agency. It is so completely against his past personality that I forgot it. He has always been a team player and was dealt to Pittsburgh in a surprise move. Maybe that got him thinking more about his personal career.

I think Casey would be the first option at first and they might be looking for a backup for him.

Was it Sheldon that was playing first before Sean and was sent down for more seasoning? He seemed pretty close to being ready but I believe batted righty. Guillen played first pretty well, but was no Casey.

I hope it works out that Sean stays. He is welcome in the clubhouse everywhere he goes.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Here's what I think will happen...
    We trade Mags for a 1st baseman or prospect.... if it's not for a 1st baseman then we re-sign Casey.
    We sign Barry Bonds... not as crazy as it sounds given Leyland's relationship with B.B. and Bond souring on SF.
    Andrew Miller becomes our primary lefty reliever being groomed as a future starter

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Then why did they do it for Ordonez?

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Casey is the back up plan. The Tigers want a little more power out of the 1st base position. Casey is not a power hitter but is solid at the plate and does not strike out much. The Tigers also still have Shelton which I think may be the reason why Casey may not be resigned if they still have faith in Shelton to get the job done.

9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

ggazoo,

I know why you wrote that now. I'm a little slow today. My point was, who cares how much he gets paid if there is not a salary cap. I think your thought was if he didn't get paid, he would be motivated to work. Your thought makes total sense to me now.

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

ok..NOW YALL CAN HEAR FROM A REAL BASEBALL MAN. (aND i HAVE A 42 OUNCE BAT,TOO...YA-HA-HA) Sheffield is a great deal and I have 2 words 4 ya..."Rasheed Wallace". Sheed was brought here to win the title and like sheed, shef aint here for the long hall and he aint even here to get us back to the world series, but HE can...He's here to establish this franchise as a 90-95 win club(like Rogers, Pudge , The Todd) until our young guys take over . Wait two years when Grandpa, Verlander, Maybin and Zumaya are lighting it up. I just want us to win again..you cant win em all, but I just dont want to lose em all.
    SHEF IN 2007....AVG .315 HR 34 RBI 110

11. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

What good is a 42 ounce bat if you don't know how to use it?

12. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

We saw Sheffield in the playoffs this year. Not impressed with what I saw. He looked old and unproductive. If he was playing for us against the Cards in the Series, he wouldn't have been able to help us. At least, not if he swung the bat the same way he did against us in the ALDS.

At least we didn't give up any of our major league pitching staff to get him. And as others have pointed out, there is no salary cap to worry about.

My next question is would we want to give up Bonderman for Mark Teixeira to fill the lefthanded bat/1st base problem?

Leyland made a statement once that momentum is only as good as your next game stating pitcher. Makes me wonder how he'd feel about giving up one of his starters.

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

...a 42 ounce bat beats two buckeyes any day.......OHHHHHHH!ITS ON, NOW!

MEEEEE-EEEEEE-CHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!

:gun1: OSU....

14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

lAST YEAR WAS LAST YEAR. iF YOU USE THE "LAST YEAR" THEORY, tHE tIGERS SHOULD HAVE GONE 71-91. You have to go on this year and right now. Just like RIGHT NOW, The Pistons suck...Right now....we'll worry bout Shef next year and then..

15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Some examples of guys still banging at 38 +

Moies Alou

Moises Alou Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

Tony Gywnn

Tony Gwynn Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

Paul Molitor

Paul Molitor Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

Then there is Grandpa Franco

Julio Franco Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

Then there is Barry Bonds who hit 45 HRs at ages 38 and 39!! Of course how much of that was do to oids we wil never know.

Barry Bonds Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

16. buddahfan

Casey is a favorite of Leyland. He will be the first baseman next year.

He is still young enough that he could have some productive years ahead of him. However, his body hasn't been his greatest asset though. That is probably why they only signed him for 1 year.

The Tigers are waiting on Larish. He is probably 3 years away from starting at Comerica at the most. If can accelerate things this coming year at Erie he could be starting in Comerica in 2008.

Jeff Larish Baseball Statistics

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I do not want Guillen at 1ST. [That means Nefi is on the field]
    Since when does N.Y. develope pitching? They take what they want. Perhaps these prospects keep Yankee fingers out of our starting rotation.
    Casey was signed. Maggs was fine in right, 10 times better than a guy whos name I can't remember. But he swung for the fences every at bat.
    This team was brilliant last year. I see no need to change anything.
    Except Nefi.

18. buddahfan

Its only spring training but I hear that the Sheriff's dinger today finally came down in Guantanamo Bay.

:hoops:

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

All of you guys posting in this thread are welcome and encouraged to join Roscoe's fantasy baseball league.

Don't make me embarrass you.
    Make it easy on yourselves. Sign up now!

This unpaid commercial announcement does not necessarily reflect the views of management. (But it most likely DOES)!

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was watching the Yankess/Tigers game at lunch today and saw them bean Shef. They kept it below the head, but you had to know that was coming.