Tigers fired Trammel today

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Bummer. I don't think he ever stood a chance. I guess if he lost control of the clubhouse they had to do it, but I hate seeing it happen to him. At least he wasn't left dangling forever. Meanwhile, Pudge stays. Just lovely.

Thanks for all the great memories Alan. You are a class guy!!!

The story is on the yahoo sports page.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

good luck Tram'

My favorite Tiger gets the boot...

Oh, well...I hope they still have a place for him somewhere in the organization.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Tram is leaving

Absolutely no chance to succeed with what he had. Maybe we'll hire Sweet Lou next.

4. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Here's the press release

Press release from the Detroit Tigers.

ALAN TRAMMELL RELIEVED OF MANAGERIAL DUTIES
    DETROIT – The Detroit Tigers today announced the club has relieved Alan Trammell of his managerial duties.

“The Detroit Tigers would like to thank Alan Trammell for everything he has done for the organization as manager,” Tigers President, Chief Executive Officer and General Manager David Dombrowski said. “You will not find a more dedicated, hard-working and respected individual that cares more about the Tigers and his coaching staff. However, for the Tigers to reach the next level, I feel it is appropriate to make a change at this time.”

The Tigers concluded the 2005 season with a 71-91 record. Trammell was named the club’s 35th manager on October 9, 2002, and he compiled a 184-302 record in his three seasons.
    Trammell has been offered a position with the organization as special assistant to the general manager.

Tigers President, Chief Executive Officer and General Manager David Dombrowski will be available to the media today at 1:00 p.m. in the Tiger Den at Comerica Park.

5. MotownPride

6. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Motown

I'm not too sure that's what he wants to do. I read the other day that if Tram loses his job here, then he hopes to get an offer to manage somewhere else. He said that he knows he can manage a winning ballclub in this league, if he just gets a fair shot. Something to that effect.

I guess we'll just have to wait-and-see.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The next level.

"However, for the Tigers to reach the next level, I feel it is appropriate to make a change at this time.”

What level would that be? Lobby? They've been in the parking garage since 86.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think they'll go after the Marlins coach McCeon(sp)... he's not coming back next year and he's got a long working relationship with Dombrowski

9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

McKeon

is a fossil. No offense to old people. He's done. Looks like Leyland. Dombrowski has probably been talking to him covertly for months much the way Joe D. was courting Flip. Just my 2 cents.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

tater

He's too nice a guy to make it as manager for a team that has flubbed-up for so long.

So who do they bring in now?

I hate to say this, but the Tigers are beginning to look like the long-distraught Lions.

There is no help for the 'pussies' in Detroit but a good old-fashioned lion tamer...Ditka comes to mind.

For the Tigers, I wish there was someone available in Sparky's mold. I've seen the codger walking in my neighborhood a few times over the last 5 years with a buddy he must have around here. I wave to him and he waves back...not like me to stop him and ask for an autograph, though I would love to have one.

11. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I wonder if Dombrowski and Ilitch have given any thought to contacting Tom Kelly, the 55 year-old former manager of the Twins who took them to two world championships in 16 or so years, before retiring a few years ago. I recall that Sparky had great admiration for Kelly. Maybe he could be enticed into coming out of retirement.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Trammel trumped

The writing was on the wall for the former tiger hero. His old roommate Sweet Lou won't get the offer and wouldn't take it anyway. I would be surprised if even Gibson would take it at this point.

They will have to take a retread of someone who has been around for 15 plus years in the coaching ranks. Jim Tracy was let go by the Dodgers, but his team underachieved too, so I doubt that Dombrowski will chase him down. :P

13. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

tram

Tram knew what he was in for the day he signed on. It is a real shame the tigers screwed him over but maybe he just wanted the chance. If he wants to take another job I would not hold it against him, but if I were tram I would try to get as far away from them as I could. Let the past be the past and move on.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

Good call!...and cheap too! :)

15. MotownPride

Looks like I might be able to see more of my favorite Tiger soon!

Apparently Trammell is trying to land a job in my backyard. He is one of a list of candidates interviewing for a manager's job with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2191570

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Best of luck Alan!

17. M4Babbie

M4Babbie Second Round Draft Pick

is there any more news on Tram's manager interviews