TIGERS VS CARDS...breakin it down

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

First you claim that Kenny Rogers is using Pine Tar, and some guy will end up by saying that the Sainted Gaylord Perry had been capable of using some mysterious, nefarious accretion on his baseball from time to time. :rolleyes:
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Gaylord Perry... that guy sure knew how ta get into batters heads... his autobiography was titled Me and the Spitter.... most of the time they couldn't find any substance
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Here is an entertaining and great rundown of the incident. Kinda funny. Kinda sad.

The point isn't whether it is believable that a pitcher wouldn't notice a huge clump of dirt (if it was that) on his pitching hand. The point isn't even about Kenny Rogers, whose left hand was brilliant both clean and dirty. He's a secondary story here.
    The point is that faced with suspicion, controversy and potential scandal, Major League Baseball once again did what it always seems to do – covered its eyes, fell back on its history of silence and hoped it would all go away, unwilling to find out what, if anything, was going on.

Caught looking - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If anybody has follow Bill James (the Sabermetrics guy from "moneyball"), he argues that the "closer" role in baseball tends to make the closer look better than he is and also mis-uses his talents.

Basically, any decent pitcher thrown into the game in the 9th inning with at least a 2 run lead will end up winning 95% of the time. So, the argument goes, why would you waste one of your best pitchers in that situation?

Maybe Jones is overrated. He has put us in a couple really dangerous spots in the postseason so far.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I thought Jimmy's coments last night was funny... he said Jones will be going thru PFP (pitchers fielding practice) before he gets on the bus tonight
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I caught that, too. Leyland was NOT pleased with that play. He rarely will get sarcastic like that. Translation: "That could have cost us the ballgame and quite possibly the Series.
  8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First of all, common Prof, if you're going to link to an article, you've got to link to the first page. That's bush league man. You're better than that.:P

Secondly, is it just me, or does that "bullpen coach" sound mildly retarded? I mean, the guy repeated himself about 50 times! He just kept saying the same things over and over again. It was painful to read.

It was hard to stay focused on the article. All I could think about was wanting to give the poor guy a hug and say "Its ok. We get it. He used Pine Tar, not shaving cream or suntan lotion. You can stop talking now."
  10. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hahaha... sorry jammer, got a little excited. All this is cheating stuff is way new to me, especially the fact that it's not new or uncommon in the slightest. I kind of thought the details of how they do the stuff, and how Kenny might have been a bit sloppy with the junk seemed kind of interesting.

It also seemed odd and to me entertaining that the whole thing consisted of nothing but quotations. I'd never seen that before.

oh yeah, but apologies for the pain. :)

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hahaha, apology accepted. Now don't let it happen again. :thumb:

I agree with you though, the article was very odd. It was almost entirely quotations. Two pages of quotations that gave us 1 sentance worth of information.

I had no idea that the issue was as wide spread as it is. Apparently its the norm rather than the exception.

P.S. I got a nice laugh from your "poopy hands" description! :pound:
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Obvious man strikes again hunh? :( My bad.
  13. roscoe36

Honestly though, I didn't know who Gaylord Perry was! :D
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

Wasn't Gaylord Perry mostly known for his knuckle ball...or am I remembering someone else? And speaking of the knuckle ball...does anyone in the majors still throw one? For those that have never seen one...it comes to the plate at change-up speed with no spin at all and it floats all over the place.

Why would a pitcher use pine tar since it's so visible? I have a little jar of some sticky stuff in my bowling bag that is transparent.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thinkin about Phil Neikro?
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Thanks merc :)

I found a piece from Gaylord Perry that's pretty funny :pound:

Yard Work » Perry, Gaylord
  17. roscoe36

Wow, everyone is shutup around here.

Big deal, the Tigers lost. They'll be back tonight, swinging the kindling and throwing some fireballs.

Show some spirit people!
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Carpenter is tough to beat. And Suppan might be as well. But after that, we should have no trouble getting the series back to 3-3. But then we'll have to see Carpenter again. Losing that Verlander game was like having your serve broken in tennis... if there are any tennis players out there.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The problem is if it goes seven, we got to go with Nate Noruns vs Carpenter again. So the Tigs have to take this in six with Dirty hands Rogers closing it out in six on Saturday.

That means three straight W's. The Tiger batters have to be more patient than they were last night and make the cardinal pitchers work and draw some walks to get on base. It ain't over yet folks....
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

LaRusa was overly classy about the whole thing. But Roasters had been getting away with that for 2 playoff series. The rule is," nothing on the hands of the pitcher". He could have been ejected.
    As for Zoom's gaff, that 1,5,?? DP hasn't been tried in a W.S. since 1905 or something long dead.
    Inge needs to stop doing his Neifi P. imitation. Props to Neifi for that big glove stop.
    Tigers might be in trouble. The pitching matchups and schedule aren't in our favor anymore.