Tigers vs. Yankees

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Aug 30, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

No doubt. I was at work and could only listen to the game occasionally...but it sounded like he had his best game ever. I heard a stat about him today that's pretty awesome...for relievers this season, he topped the majors for pitches at 100+ with a total of 230...the next closest was Farnsworth with a measly 19...and Zumaya's got better control.

2. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

man, for me this was total relief. i was teaching or in meetings just about all day except for a tiny slice of time around 1:15 or so. so I got to see the yanks load the bases and then i didn't see or hear anything more after that until just now. Here i expected the worst sort of drubbing and instead i see this superb result.

This has really been my novice season as a follower of baseball, but I get the feeling that it's much more up and down from day to day than hoops. Like one day the tigers beat a team 17-2 and the next day they lose 5-1 or something. Hard to imagine The pistons beating say the cavs by 30 one day and then losing to them by 15 the next night. So you really gotta take it one day at a time.

One thing I liked reading and that just increased my admiration for Leyland: his whole thing on instincts (pulling Verlander with the count at 1-1), sometimes you just gotta go with it and second-guessers be damned. I think he's right: you get a feeling that's something needs to happen and it's so easier to over think it and doubt it and anticipate negative outcomes and the flood of questioning that would ensue. but he just goes with it.

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

came home from work to watch some of it, then taped the last 2 innings...already watched zumaya work the 8th twice heh...a thing of beauty

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

ERNIE HARWELL!!!

JEEZ! it's great to hear his voice and smooth insight again!!! Good job by ESPN! Tigers up 3-0!

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Yeah, that was pretty sweet. Nobody better than Ernie. Damn, Rogers is pitching great.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, Twins were swept by the A's.

Looks like they used up all their gas getting here and didn't save any for the trip back.

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

[STRIKE]4-0[/STRIKE] 5-0 now! Let's go not-Yankees!

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Rogers pitched his ass off tonight! Zoom-Zoom is smoking it now! Tigers up 6-0

9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Detroit Baseball BABY!

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rogers was amazing. I love dominant pitching performances like that. Against the Yankees no less.

How fitting for Jones to strikeout Matsui to end the game, on this most emotional of Detroit nights.

Comerica will be electric tomorrow night. GO TIGERS!

11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

rogers was positively inspiring... the intensity was there. pistons take notes from this tigers club (and yes, flip, take notes from leyland)

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Great stuff from the Tigers. So it's Bonderman vs. Jaret Wright tomorrow afternoon? I doubt the Yankees' team-wide offensive drought is likely to continue for very much longer...then again, the Yankees don't have very much longer to turn it around.

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok the baseball playoffs are taking my mind off basketball for the time being.

Let me be the firast to say it; WE WILL HAVE A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BACK IN DETROIT IF THE TIGERS BEAT THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!

Then we can :dancingparty: until Flip ...:stirthepot: and we all...........:smash: something in our homes when Sheed.........:shout: an obsenity at Flip, who then........:twitch: out of control.................At least we have the Tigers to think about!!!!!!!

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chat this afternoon. Opens at 4:00 PM.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

rogers was insane. todd jones summoned a 95mph fastball to end the game. the tigers played great offensively. what a fantastic game to watch. and getting to hear ernie call the game (he also did the 2nd inning on the radio) topped it off. i remember as a kid turning the radio on in bed and listening to ernie...he even got to say "stood there like the house by the side of the road" - simply awesome.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We have to win today so that we don't have to face Wang again. That guy is frustrating.

How big has Granderson been? Who expected that?

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Granderson, Thames and Monroe have been doing it all season.
    Let's not go back to NY.
    Great move by Jim to sacrifice Nate against Wang. Verlander did Mussina, check. Roasters did Pizza Neck at "The Co", check. Now can Bondo handle Wright? I think Bondo was better on the road all year. Jim needs to pull out all the stops to keep us from going back to NY. There is no tomorrow for us in NY.

18. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

It is now 6:03 PM on Saturday. Bonderman has spent 40 pitches to get the Yankees out in 5 innings. He is just masterful.

Yes, now I can see why the Tiger's pitching was considered so good. They rock!!

I think I just heard that they Yankees have no hits yet today. Can that be right? No runs, but no HITS?? WOW :p_welldone: :cheers: :pound: !

Actually, no baserunners at all. Oh, CRAP!!! There is their first hit, in the 6th inning.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Way to go TIGERS! Now's the time on Sprockets when we dance!

[​IMG]

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

PLEAZ don't ask anyone to pet your monkey!