Tim Donaghy quotes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kidstealth, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe it reads better like this.................

One player, at a time that Donaghy was being singled out by the L for his officiating excellence, was able to call him out for the rat he is.

Rasheed Wallace Vindicated!
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was there so I can speak for what the feeling was back during the Bad Boys I reign of terror. With the Pistons leading 3 games to 2 in the 1988 finals it appeared that the refs took away what should have been the first of three consecutive Piston NBA Titles and all real basket ball fans (even some of the purists here in LA) knew that the Pistons had been robbed.

I attended the game that altered history on June 19, 1988 when a stellar performance 25pt third quarter by Isaiah Thomas on a bum wheel was offset by the "phantom foul" call on Laimbeer in the closing seconds in a game where the Pistons were just about to register their first NBA title.

In both games 6 and 7 questionable calls by the refs led many of us to believe that the league or the refs wanted the Lakers to win and back up Pat Riley claim at the end of the past season that they would repeat.

Game 7
    Hugh Evans and Ed T. Rush officiated game 6 and Jake O'Donnell and Earl Strom did game 7. Not sure if you can call these guys crooked refs, but you have to wonder that if Donaghy says that todays refs have favorite and least favorite players, then these four officials could have had the same attitudes.

1988 NBA Finals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Are you really making the case that our players are to blame for crooked officiating? Really?

That's a whole new level of player hating.
  4. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

We had that championship swagger...too bad they had too much and Stern wanted to push Wade and Lebron.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Donafee, Donahee, or Donagee?
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

SLAM ONLINE | » ‘Sheed Expects Ref Scandal to Worsen
  7. coynejeremy

8. coynejeremy

It's kind of funny how the interviewer (Paul Flannery - online editor of a Boston magazine) gets his panties in a bunch when Donaghy says he doesn't like Doc Rivers.
  9. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

Let’s talk about games that you did not officiate. You would call refs and try to pick their brain prior to the game and that would help you figure out what you were going to do with your bet that night, correct?
    Yes. I would basically fish for information to search for problems or vendettas that were existing and use that information to put a new line to a game and research it in the newspaper and see if the line should be changed by four or five points. If I felt that it was I would tell them to bet the game.
    My guess is that’s not a common practice for an official from somewhere else calling an official in Boston to see what they know about the Celtics game on a particular night. How did they not know what you were fishing for?
    It was common because we were all friends. When you talk about down time on the road, being in hotel rooms with nothing to do, you basically speak to each other on the phone. Stories come up, vendettas are discussed, games are discussed, players are discussed. If there’s a situation where I felt like I had information I would use that information to place winning bets.
  10. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

Yea no kidding. Guy sounds like a jerk.
  11. coynejeremy

Correction: Flannery wrote the article, but the radio hosts of the "Dennis and Callahan Show" were the ones interviewing him.
  12. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No wonder why Stern does not wnat his book publiished..

:doh: