Time For A Mark Aguirre/Adrian Dantley Move

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 28, 2006.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Ok, now I've seen it...this is suppose to make feel better? Gee thanks, now I have to up my dosage of Prozac!
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

no offense, but i don't think you'll see sheed running the floor like that any more.
  3. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

1. I miss the alley-oops to Sheed.

2. ``Yinka Dare presents'' -- LOL.

3. I like what Max said in post #47, though a quibble: ``Trade him after 2 bad games? Wait until he has his next 30pt 10 assist game. In that game he still had 10 assists to only 2 turns.''

I think a good coach recognizes that even though the gaudy numbers are impressive, they're less important than keeping Chauncey reigned in when he needs to be. We pretty much know who this player is now, he is very likely finished his evolution. He's a competitor and a big-game player, he's a lights-out shooter, he's a defensive weakness. He's prone to the massive brainfart, and that's why we had our best years with him on a short leash. And, now, we're learning that his minutes need to be kept light in the regular season.

OK, given all that, sure -- we're not gonna find a better player at PG. It's better to work with what we have. Let's get a coach in here who can do that; who can recognize that CB should be faced with a limited number of decision-making situations and act accordingly. I wonder if Woodson in Atlanta could come back. He knows our guys and knows what worked. For anyone that knows, has he coached like an LB disciple in Atlanta or is he trying out his own ideas? If so, how's that gone?
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

How many of here was really surprised when Ben Wallace left for greener pastures or a better coach?

How many of us truly believed that Ben Wallace would be the cornerstone of the pistons future?

How many of us truly, truly, thought that Ben would undoubtedly sign with the pistons, even if it were for less money but a chance to win the championship?

How many of us believed that Ben knew at mid-season that he would pursue mother options outside of detroit as soon as free agency hit.

When you are playing in your F/A year, one, two and sometimes both things will happen, either you will play like a banjee so you can get that ultimate F/A contract, or you will do just enough to get by knowing that your goal is to play elsewhere.

I know most of us are only thinking in the here and now, go after another title and to hell with everything else, CB leaving, his playing abilities i.e.. A lot of us are looking through the proverbial rose colored glasses, we can't see what's down the road or at the crossroads so to speak.

CB is a goner and I certainly do not believe that there is not a high caliber PG out there right now that we can get that will take us to either the NBA finals or getting the whole enchilada.

We are gonna lose CB and we will get absolutely nothing in return. Isn't it obvious he wants to play elsewhere. I can hear the mumbling and groaning now once the season is over and CB walks.

Here is my list of Point Guards that we can trade for before the deadline. Lots of teams would be happy to pay CB the max:

Delonte West-----Don't know whether he is a PG, but we can sure guide him in that direction, great basketball IQ, fearless, pentrator

Mike Bibby----Not my first choice, straight up trade with Sac, the Maloof brothers would jump on it

Juan Dixon----An untapped commodity, hard worker, can dish, penetrate, drive the hole and shoot lights out three pointers, a good floor general and leader can take over a game.

Chris Duhon ----Love the guy, quick learner

Devin Harris----CB would give Dallas more vet leadership

Deron WIlliams ----Self explanatory

Chirs Paul ---Would absolutely love this guy, but a long shot

Jamal Crawford---Joe D coveted this guy coming out of college, no way Zeke lets him go

Raymond Felton --

Leandro Barbosa---Another penetrator, is he PG or SG, love his game regardless

Luke Ridnour---Joe D's man, would pick him up in a heartbeat at the right price. Gives seattle more vet leadership with CB

That's just a few of my PG options of PG's that can help us immediately. I am not a wait on the ball to drop person, I would rather be proactive rather than reactive. Lets work on getting a solid PG right now rather than waiting until CB leaves and just have to grab anybody, like we did with Murray and that other guy that sits at the end of the bench (dupree).
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Am I the only one who sees nothing wrong in that. He's not laughing and smiling like that foul was good. Don't you ever see people try to laugh things off when they don't like something? Come on prof.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I thought he was going to come back for sure until the Pistons started to slip. I was never worried about Ben leaving till the Cleveland series, and problems came up. Ben would of stayed here for less money if he liked the situation 100%. He didn't though. Maybe these were some of the greatest teammates, but he didn't like Flip.

Chauncey doesn't hate Flip, and unless something big comes up Chauncey will like it here. We got Will Blalock, and Chauncey will make him good.
  7. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its going to be extremely difficult to trade CB before the end of the season because unless the team trading for him is definitely going to pay him a max deal (which won't be as likely as most would believe), they will just be in the same position we are in.
    Why would they get him for just half a season with the possibility of him walking? It just ties their hands into a max deal.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Answers in red
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Iverson almost had a triple double last night.

40+ points
    10 assists
    9 turnovers.

There is no perfect point guard out there.
  10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Those turnovers will go down once AI more playing time with his teammates. I think AI is doing a heck of a job sitting out almost 3 weeks and coming in to Denver in his first 3 games averaging over 30 pts a game and at about 10 assist a game. Who cares about the turnovers if you are playing out west in a run and gun offense and you are putting up points and winning. It does however hurt my fantasy team. :cold:

I still would take AI over CB. CB is a fine point guard and has served his purpose. However this is a different team now. We are not focusing on defense and trying to run a half court set. Weneed a point guard that can drive to the basket / dish the ball and get foul calls. If you replace RIP and put AI in his shoes driving to the basket against New York, AI gets that foul call.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oh, AI is great. But my point is, that we are getting a little picky here. We have a top 5 point guard and are taking him for granted big time.

If we had Steve Nash, we'd be complaining about his lack of defense. Chauncey is currently the best player on our team. Why would you want to trade your best player when you are in first place? When was the last time that happened in the NBA?
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Do you think we will be able to find a perfect PG when CB leaves or would we just have to find an imperfect one? Whatcha think SPort?
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CB is 3rd among all players in net assists (assists - turnovers). Nash and Kidd are a good step above and CB is equal to Williams (Utah). Only thirteen players in the league are over 100.

Among players with more than 80 assists he is first is assist to turnover ratio.

(all through 12/28)

You cannot make a trade to get better at this position. If you believe CB will stay, then there is nothing to do. If you believe like AG that he will go, then you have two choices...

- if you think this team can win a title (as I do), then you keep him and make a run, and figure out next year next year

- if you don't think they can compete, then you start to take it all apart. But even then, I'm not sure you would start with CB.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

And Dantley for Aguirre was not Isiah Thomas for Magic Johnson (I feel dirty comparing CB to Zeke, or even imagining Magic in a Pistons uniform).

The guy to move is Sheed if you want to look at getting value and making a big move to free room for the kids, creating opportunities for Tay and creating a faster team.
  15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Roscoe,

Do you think we could hoodwink Zeke into taking Sheed and we get David Lee and Richardson in return?
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

ArmyG, you're right, Bbeen leaving left everyone scratching their head. But the signs where there. Refusing to play, his bro 86'd, a chance at a better style of play with a coach that wants you[minus the headband].
    The money issue was minor
    ...But with CB we see none of these issues. Denver got AI. CB's not going home. JD already called OUT the dogs, saying he's paying CB and not listening to trades, so to speak. CB is untouchable. If CB is not here 3 years from now, I'll give you 50 one armed pushups, might take 3 days to finish though.
    --------
    As for moving Sheed, others and myself thought Amir would be first to break through, but guys like Max and Merc thought JMax was it. Looks like they were right. But is Amir ready and what veteran trade piece would be set in front of him?
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think too many fans are blowing off the money. Money is a big deal for these guys. This is not your daddy's NBA.

These guys usually have one shot at a monster contract. It's a once in a lifetime thing. After Ben had all-Star appearances, DPOYs and a championship, the last thing left was money.

Don't underestimate that CB is also grossly underpaid (based on the market) for his production. I doubt he is just looking for a payday. Like Ben, I think he will be looking for backpay as well.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I didn't recoginze the name, for a second I thought we left a guy so far down the bench we forgot to trade or play him. Nor did we tell him to go take a shower. Cause he didn't need one.:cold:
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You admit that now.:cheerleader:
    Maybe JD front loads the contract.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Delonte West----- played well with a more consistent guard rotation in boston, but he's regressed this year, and is as much of a shooting guard as he is a point guard. plus he's ugly

Mike Bibby---- decent player, and sac is willing to make moves, but you don't gain anything with this

Juan Dixon---- who? completely uneven trade

Chris Duhon---- who? completely uneven trade

Devin Harris---- if we couldn't at least get jason terry back in return for CB that would be sad. mark cuban would love to have us hand him a championship by giving dallas CB, and we'd get laughed at for giving up on the season

Deron Williams---- untouchable

Chirs Paul---- untouchable

Jamal Crawford---- i'd love to have this guy coming off the bench and lighting it up, but he's not a point guard and not worth chauncey

Raymond Felton---- hasn't proven he's good enough yet or has the potential ... might as well develop blalock or take a PG with one of our 1st round draft picks next year

Leandro Barbosa---- inflated stats because of phoenix's system, uneven trade

Luke Ridnour---- uneven trade

do we all forget that chauncey passed to maxiell for the game-winning shot just a couple games ago? do we all forget that chauncey loves flip's system because he is the man and has the freedom to do whatever he wants?

if CB is leaving it'd be on far better terms than ben, and i firmly believe joe would be able to pull off a sign-and-trade at the very least.