Time for Delfino to ask for a trade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lapeapod, Nov 18, 2006.

1. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

I'm a huge fan of Carlos Delfino and it just hurts me to see him not getting any playing time. I know he's the master of his own domain in this regard and he hasn't shown much with the minutes he's gotten but Flip just doesn't have any confidence in him. Delfino is all about being appreciated and he needs minutes to get in the flow. He's probably shooting the ball with one eye on the basket and the other on Flip to see how fast the hook is going to come. So if Joe Dumars likes to accomodate players that want a trade then Fino should ask for a trade and get on a team that will give him some minutes. I'm thinking that Jared Jeffries is sure racking up lots of DNPs over at the Knicks would be a nice trade. Also James Jones over at Phoenix would be another nice trade because I think Carlos would thrive on a team like the Suns. Just my thoughts on my favorite player in the NBA right now!
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Flip will not play Delfino, period. Time Delfino realized that and demanded a trade. Look at Darko, so far its worked out for him. You have to love Flip saying Delfino will get plenty of minutes, good or bad. And then Delfino plays well, and his minutes get cut.

The real deal is Murray is a better 2 than Delfino in Flip's offense, and Flip prefers Rip as Tay's backup. So for Flip's ideal lineup, CB plays 46 minutes a game, LH rests him for 2, Rip and Tay play 45 mpg, and Murray backs up Rip, when Tay is out, Rip moves to the 3, and Murray plays the 2.

Prediction, 1st round sweep, and not by us.
  3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Yes, you guys are correct. Detroit is getting abad rep for holding people back. Maybe Flip does not know how to use him.
  4. max

max All-Star

I was thinking the same thing. Probably not going to be much longer until he asks to be traded. And I really do not know how Dumars can refuse this time.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps Delfino should just play better when he does get minutes.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

He has played well, and then got inexplicably benched. He should ask for a trade. It'll be fun to see him become a really good player on another team. :rolleyes:
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He gets benched after playing very well and he gets benched after playing poorly. Nothing changes. You could tell this would happen after the first couple games. Delfino would have a very productive first half, and would get a second half DNP regardless. That's how you lose a player right there.

That's what happend to Darko last year. Played very well in the preseason and hardly got off the bench to start the year. The DNPs start piling up and it's gonna be hard to convince them that it's "different this year".
  8. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I don't know about Delfino. Lately when he's on the floor all he does he jack up the three pointer. I wouldn't think Flip would like this of Delfino, but then you could argue Hunter comes off the bench and shoots threes alot too. It just seems like everytime Carlos gets the ball he shoots a three and doesn't go to the basket.

I think Delfino could be a decent player if you played him, but Flip really doesn't have a lot of confidence in him. This could just be Flips playbook too. Not really a "attack the rim" type of playbook. I agree Delfino will want a trade soon and Dumars will probably trade him :ohwell:
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

flip murray already "earned" all the playing time so there is no more for delfino.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We probably are paying Delfino a horrible disservice by not trading him. He may go into another system and excel.

I say don't hold the guy a hostage, our loss maybe someone else's gain, and it may work out for all parties involved.
  11. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think by now all of us here should know Flip's playbook is shooting jumpers and more jumpers. Delfino is a slasher 1st, jump shooter 2nd on offense. In summary, Delfino's offense does not fit in Flip's playbook. It's time for Joe D to trade him instead of wasting yet another talent.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I still say Flip Saunders will be fired by December 1. So no need to trade Delfino. So far, only two things have changed from last year. Maxiell is playing a bit, and Dale Davis is emerging as an important player. These two things might be enough to keep Flip around, but I doubt it.

However, if Dumars unwisely decides to keep Flip Saunders around so we can lose quickly in the playoffs this year, and trades Delfino to support his coach. (another mistake by Dumars to support his coach-man this is getting old) then he should trade Delfino to Orlando for a point guard. Travis Diener ain't bad. They would probably also throw in Bogans.
  13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I bet Orlando would enjoy fleecing us again. I guess it is Karma from the Grant Hill deal.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Carlos hasn't done much with his PT but the test sample is not good enough to draw a lasting conclusion. He could help his cause by having an impact when he gets a chance. There needs to be a definitive answer on what CD has to offer... he needs more time to make his bed. His trade value is low with inconsistent minutes.
  15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

dude this only make sense if flip murray and lindsey were making an impact. flip played decent the other day but that's it. lindsey makes 1 in 5 good plays and he's still getting major minutes. so obviously making an impact doesn't have anything to do with getting minutes. if a coach knows a player is inconsistent if he doesn't get consistent minutes why not play him consistently???
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

"We" blamed Carlisle for not playing Prince.
    "We" blamed LB for not playing Darko.
    "We" blamed Flip for not playing Darko, Delfino and maybe Maxiell.

So what is it, that makes Pistons coaches fall in love with players like Hunter, Murray, Michael Curry or Darvin Ham instead of giving PT to promising talents?
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Last night when the small ball lineup was on the floor. I found myself thinking...

You've got four scorers on the floor - CB, Rip, Tay, and Sheed. Who do you put out there with them?

Flip - streak scorer (so I've heard, no evidence of that I've seen so far), can't defend, doesn't rebound, and is a black hole when he gets the ball

Or...

Delfino - drives the ball as well as Flip, may also be a streaky shooter though also with no recent streaks, but, can defend, rebounds like crazy for his size, and thrives on moving the ball around the court.

Flip was on the floor the whole time. I'd really like Delfino here, but I don't think he is going to play. Time to go.

What a great guy to have running the triangle under Phil.
  18. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, it has to be very difficult for Flip to figure out, GIVE DELFINO THE BALL AND CALL PICK AND ROLL. Flip has never done this. Twice the situation(pick and roll) has come up late in the shot clock, result; two Delfino assists for five Piston points(a Murray three and Maxiel for two).
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We only have a pick and pop play, there is no pick and roll in this offense. It's very disappointing considering that most of the great offenses in the NBA do not rely exclusively on scripted 5 man screens, but a healthy dose of the two man game.
  20. max

max All-Star

Good question? Maybe an answer would be that the GM usually goes out and signs vets to play the same position as the guy he just drafted or is trying to bring along.