Time for the 2013 Off-Season Thread (ugh)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Nov 5, 2012.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

C: A. Drummond (19, 2.5-4.4m, 4y), V. Kravtsov (25, 1.5m, 1y)
    PF: G. Monroe (22, 4.1-5.5m, 2y)
    SF: J. Jerebko (25, 4.5m, 2y), T. Prince (32, 7.2-7.7m, 2y), K. Singler (24, 1.0-1.1m, 2y), K. Middleton (21, 0.8-0.9m, 2y)
    SG: R. Stuckey (26, 8.5m, 1y), K. English (24, 0.8m, 1y)
    PG: B. Knight (20, 2.9-5.1m, 3y)

Team Salary: $33,828,675
    Salary Cap: $58,044,000, Tax Level: $70,307,000 (*Based on 2012/13 Figures)
    Cap Space: $24,215,325
    Max Salary Levels: $13,668,750(0-6), $16,402,500(7-9), $19,136,250(10+)

*I'm assuming we amnesty C. Villanueva

Right now, we're ranked 30th (i.e. dead last) on ESPN's power rankings, released today - NBA Basketball Power Rankings - National Basketball Association - ESPN. The #1 overall pick (Shabazz Muhammad) would be an absolute god-send, but I don't think we're that smart. I still think we're going to get a top 10 pick though, so let's subtract additional Drummond and Middleton-level salaries from that number; $24,215,325 - $2,500,000 - $800,000 = $20,915,325. So, we're going to have about 21 mil in salary cap space. That's enough to sign one max-level contract player, or enough to sign two solid players. Let's talk about it..

What do we have?

#1) 19 year old center Andre Drummond. It's looking like it's going to be a long-ish development process with Mr. Drummond; and that's okay. He's not at all a Dwight Howard-like athlete, and he's probably never going to be, but he moves around well enough, he's got good hops, he's tall, he's big, he's strong, he's got long arms, etc. With hard work, attitude and coaching, he could become an excellent paint defender and rebounder inside, there's little doubt about that. Offensively, is he ever going to be a dominant go-to low post scorer? Way too early to make a prediction, but I lean towards no. I see primarily an alley oop man, put-back dunker, short-shot maker. I could be wrong. Either way, I think we've got something good in him. A championship team starting-quality center.

#2) 22 year old power forward Greg Monroe. Greg, like Andre, is not a high-level athlete..and even less so. He too moves around well enough though, is big, strong, long-enough, etc. The bright side with him is that he's smart and a hard-worker. When it's all said and done, when we get to where we're going, I think he's going to be at least an average to above average defender at the 4 in this league. Offensively, again, I just don't ever see him becoming a dominant low-post scorer. He's got a little range. He's a little more clever around the basket. He's a good passer. He's got some versatility to his game, and you can do some things with him offensively for sure.. but not a go-to scorer of a great team. Still, a championship team starting-quality power forward.

#3) 20 year old point guard Brandon Knight. Brandon is an excellent, almost Derrick Rose-level athlete. He's a great ball-handler. He's a terrificly creative passer. He's smart. He's a hard-worker. He doesn't really "get it" yet. But I think he's going to. I think he's going to be a solid floor general for us, who's able to push the ball up the court with great speed, who will make good decisions, who will run whatever offense it is we're running, and who will be a coach of sorts on the court. That will take time. He's got the size, frame, athleticism, smarts, etc. to be developed into an above average NBA defender at the point. Offensively, he's limited. He can't really take it to the hole in the half-court offense, and he's probably never going to be able to do that with much consistency. He's got a decent enough outside shot, but again, it's inconsistent, and I'm not sure it will ever be that reliable. Certainly not the go-to scorer of a great team. But a good distributor. A championship team starting-quality point guard for sure.

#4) 26 year old shooting (combo?) guard Rodney Stuckey. Stuckey, Stuckey, Stuckey.. Still waiting for it to happen, but definitely has the size, strength and athleticism to be a plus defender at the 2-guard position in this league. It needs to start happening, soon. He's not 21 anymore. That's a matter of effort and focus on his part. Offensively, he can get himself good looks at the rack as good as about anyone in the league. Still waiting for him to become a consistent finisher there. Again, time's running thin. Outside shot still hasn't come around either, and I'm starting to think that it's never going to. Didn't really seem to have the "feel" of a point guard when he was at that position, but it's certainly a bonus he can provide as a backup. Not sure that I see him as a championship team starting quality shooting guard. If we somehow added an elite 3, we could get away with him as a starter I think. If not, he's, at worse, a solid first guard off the bench for a good team.

#5) 25 year old small (combo?) forward Jonas Jerebko. Like Stuckey, if we somehow added an elite 2, we could get away with him as a starter. If not, he's at worse a solid first forward off the bench for a good team. Defensively, he's above average. Big, strong, athletic enough, hard-working, smart, dog, etc. Offensively, again, a dog with a decent shot. That's about the extent of this man.

#6) 32 year old small forward Tayshaun Prince. Tay's basically still here for one reason - he was a part of our championship team and Joe-D believes he somehow transcends that team's attitude onto this one's. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Either way, when we're good enough to seriously compete, he's going to be too old to help us. At this juncture, I think he's getting too much PT and hindering the development of our more important younger players. I'd like to see him included in a trade of some sort to get us SOMETHING useful for our future. Probably never happens.

#7-10) K. Singler, K. Middleton, K. English, V. Kravtsov. Young bodies. 10-15 types most likely. Some might pan out. Some might not. Probably all pretty irrelevent in the long-run. Though Singler looks like he may have the potential to be a rotation player on a good team. We'll see. Too early to say with all of these guys.

max likes this.
  2. blueadams

What do we NEED?

More than anything, of course, we need a reliable go-to scorer. Preferably a young wing who can develop with our core. So, what's the market got in store for us?

Josh Smith? (UFA), Marvin Williams? (UFA), Kevin Martin? (UFA)

Andre Igudala? (ETO), Monta Ellis? (ETO)

Tyreke Evans? (RFA), DeMar DeRozan? (RFA)

...if it's up to me, I'm overwhelming the Kings with an offer to T. Evans that they can't match. He's got the potential to develop into the real deal. If we can bring him in to go along with another top 10-pick at the wing (please, please be Shabazz Muhammad!!), we're going to start looking real good. He's been slipping a little bit since his rookie season - due mostly to team/coaching/rotation issues IMO - but he's electric. He's got the potential to develop into a great defender. He's a great shooter. He can take the ball to the rack. He can handle the rock. He can spread it around better than most two guards. He's an outstanding athlete. He's got adaquete size for a 2-guard. I think he's like 21. I like him. I like DeRozan a little less (for a lot of the same reasons). I like Igudala a little less (he's sort of old, less potential to break out). I like Smith a little less (again, sort of old). I like Martin and Ellis a little less (both a little old, horrific defenders). And I like Williams the least (is he ever going to reach potential??).

My dream 2013 roster..

C: A. Drummond.....G. Monroe.....V. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe.....J. Jerebko.....???
    SF: S. Muhammad.....J. Jerebko.....K. Singler.....K. Middleton
    SG: T. Evans.....R. Stuckey.....K. English
    PG: B. Knight.....R. Stuckey.....T. Burke(2nd)

Trade Prince, for a pick, or whatever?

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why would we amnesty him on an expiring contract if we fail to amnesty him with 2 years left?

4. blueadams

So we can sign Tyreke Evans (or whoever)

5. BillLaimbeer

My question is "why didn't we amnesty him already?"

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe is not in the business of being proactive.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The real question is why we bother dressing him.

8. blueadams

Anyone got some thoughts on these free agent prospects?

9. BillLaimbeer

Perhaps he can't dress himself....

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good point. The only thing worse than CV on the bench is CV on the bench without clothes.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Joe D pays Tyreke Evans a fat contract to pry him away from Sacramento, I would vote to give him the death penalty.

KGREG likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Andre Drummond not athletic? Put down the pipe!

And Tyreke Evans? He has regressed every year since his rookie season, despite being matched with more and more talent. No thanks.

Josh Smith? Gimme Gimme Gimme.

13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Not sure any of this is close to reality - Drummond not being an athlete, Monroe becoming an above average defender, BK being a great ball-handler and a creative passer, Stuckey becoming a plus defender at the 2-guard position, Tyreke Evans and DeMar DeRozan being good FA signings.

KGREG and Nemo like this.
  14. blueadams

Smith is a little old for this core..but might work out.

Evans had his best season as a 19 year old rookie. No one 'regresses' at 20 and 21. I think it's had a lot to do with the coaching/rotations in Sac. He's gone from point...to the two...and now the three. I think he's got a lot of untapped potential still. These are the kinds of steals we need to be looking for.

How do we like DeRozan?

15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Could you dress yourself if you had a headache?

detteam likes this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

yes...........:)

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Overwhelming Sacramento for with an offer they can't match for Evans is not the kind of steal you're talking about here. Getting Billups for nothing after being discarded by multiple teams is a good example.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond looks like an amazing athlete for his size. Comparing him to Howard is pretty unfair, since Howard is one of the most athletic players in the history of the league.

19. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I wouldn't mind if we got Derozan if we couldn't get Josh Smith. However, my dream FA acquisition would be Rudy Gay. He's so underrated and he can create his own shots unlike Josh Smith.

Also, I disagree when you said Drummomd won't be as athletic as D. Howard. In fact, he had better measurements than Howard did when they were the same age, except for Vertical Jump. Although, I see him more like Amare Stoudemeire than D. Howard.

20. blueadams

Is Rudy Gay going to be available?

And...Drummond is not on the same level as Dwight/Amare. Let's be serious.