Time for the Pistons to rebuild no matter what's the outcome of this season!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jumpman313G, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Jumpman313G

Jumpman313G First Round Draft Pick

*=Unless we win a Title
    **= We won't get LeBron James

Let's face it if we continue to play like "Bums" after scoring one of the Best PG to ever play the game (but is slightly past his prime) we need some Change! And, not a little move here and a free agent sign here...we need a total makeover....Its sad to see everyone in the east slightly upgrade while the Pistons try to keep there key parts together, I won't be the first or last person to say this but it's time to wheel and deal some of our Core for more than a "same position swap."

Off-Season/Before Trade Deadline Task
    1. Don't resign A.I or Rasheed*
    2. Try to either trade for/or sign a big name C (we always needed one)
    3. Trade Rip or Tayshaun for a Player and a future Draft pick.
    4. Clear some cap room up for Chris Bosh**!!!:cheers:
  2. max

max All-Star

Re: Time for the Pistons to rebuild no matter what's the outcome of this season!*

Starting to wonder if Dumars should have done more this year rather than this piecemeal stuff. There have already been a couple of rebuilds while the team remained competitive.

At the very least this year I would like to see what Stucky and Amir have. If they are not what we hoped then find other players.
  3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Re: Time for the Pistons to rebuild no matter what's the outcome of this season!*

I was not a fan of letting our guys' value going down by time. Guys like Tayshaun are OK if you're big-play is solid, but when its not, you try to move guys like him for just all around better pieces. Tayshaun is just a solid player, but brings nothing else against the big guns in the league. And as much as I am completely sick of Rasheed, we don't have anyone that can do what he does on defense.

It makes me twitch every time I hear an announcer utters the words "when he wants to be."

I don't think it should be taboo that we can't trade any of our youthful pieces away, if they help up land the big FA's (other than Stuckey, as we already made the move to make him our starting PG). Front offices don't get awards for stockpiling talent.

Plus, don't we have two other guys in Europe? Joe shouldn't be gunshy about moving any of these guys.
  4. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

If we could trade Sheed for Amare or Bosh (both which are angry with their team) then Joe should do it.
  5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Raptor fans get very emotional when other fans tell them that Bosh may leave (because he loves Toronto soooo much) but i'm pretty sure that he's gone. Sam Mitchell was a bad head coach, but the guy coming after him will likely be worse. Toronto is still a few years away from competing, and if Bosh doesn't want to be the next KG, he'll go elsewhere.

Amare Stoudemire, lol, he's a lock to leave PHX. Its kinda sad, Terry Porter has already lost a couple key components of that team.
  6. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

ESPN.com - NBA - Trade Machine Results
    Hows this trade for the future. Memphis even has said that they were trying to build their team like Detroit in getting a bunch of good players so why don't we give them some. It clears even more cap space too.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

They would not do that. Rip may be better than O.J. right now, but O.J. has very high potential. The only way that trade works is if we threw in a draft pick or another solid player.
  8. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

you cant throw in draft picks on trade machine, but yea throw in a draft pick if this were to happen.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

If Joe could do that he would make up for the Darko draft and the rodney white draft in one swoop
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Joe can not be in a happy place. Told to cut salary and prepare for '10, he ditches the best player on the team for the best athlete now on the team who can't play well with others.

Now, he's looking at a 5th or th seed in the playoffs, and 1 and done. Joe is not like the Knicks, he's not willing to junk 2 years for the hope of Lebron, and Lebron aint coming here anyway.

So, Joe hopes Stuckey is the real deal, that he didn't overspend on JMax, Rip and Sheed have some years left in them, Amir becomes serviceable, and hope beyond hope he gets David Lee next year.
  11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Why do you think someone told Joe to dump salary? I seriously doubt Mr. Davidson is that involved in running the team. If he is it would be an example of uncharacteristically bad business judgment, because he is nowhere near as qualified as Joe to be making these types of decisions.

I think the AI deal is 100% Dumars.
  12. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Dumars doesn't believe in rebuilding.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Where is this person? He would really help the team. I was under the impression we got an aging undersized shooting guard.

edited to add;

As for the re-building, IMO AI is not going to be resigned; Sheed will be if he wants to stay. Rip/Tay are not going anywhere. A trade for a big name C won't happen b/c 1/ there are very few big name C's and 2/I don't believe Dumars is willing to trade Rip/Tay/Stuck

In 2010, we are going hard after Chris Bosh. That's the likeliest and most realistic possibility. Amare and his ego are not coming to DET.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think jumpman meant to type SG ???

:noidea:

But lets say that statement was accurate ( and we had actually traded for an aging great point guard)....would we be better off right now with Jason Kidd?

I don't know if I would be able to stomach looking at his giant headed son after every game.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Sadly, i think we would be better off with Kidd. The caveat would be if we move AI to the bench and make him the focal point then i'd have to change my mind. But as it stands now Kidd. And i too would have to close my eyes to avoid his giant headed son.

Also i wouldn't be able to deal with his past off-court "troubles", but that's another story.

edited to add;

Then again that trade would never happen. We would be trading Billups for someone who plays like him, but is worse. Imagine if we traded Billups for Devin Harris when the Mavs were selling ?
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Perhaps one day the Pistons can draft Jason Kidd's son.

[​IMG] here with Iverson's son...look at that MELON!

[​IMG] HIS HEAD IS THE SIZE OF THE BASKETBALL!!!! THAT IS A REGULATION BALL PEOPLE!!!!

[​IMG]

Here are basketball fans posing with Jason Kidds son.
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

We could rotate Aaron and Stuckey with Devin as a 3 guard rotation and totally forget about the Griever.....

I'm gonna go cry now
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If TJ Kidd ever grows into his head he will be a very large man. I think we could use him.
  19. max

max All-Star

I think its safe to say that Dumars was looking past this year when he made that trade. Again it begs the question. Do you want to see an aging core rot before your eyes filled with contracts that no other team will trade for. Or do you want to see some progress made in getting back to the Finals.

I don't know if Stucky will or will not be the guy but we have to at least figure that out this year. We don't have the luxery of another team developing him before he got here as with Billups.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If this is the other option, bring back the aging core!