Time for the Pistons to rebuild no matter what's the outcome of this season!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jumpman313G, Dec 6, 2008.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Re: Time for the Pistons to rebuild no matter what's the outcome of this season!*

Not a question of pleasing, Stuckey at this point in time, is not a top 15 PG or SG. The point is that none of the youngsters are immediate replacements for the starters. They need to compensate for starters that are wearing down and mentally not as sharp. You need top level talent to win consistently and be a contender. This also is not just about Stuckey, I am talking about all the young bench players. Though Stuck and Amir have had a lot of hype.

2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Re: Time for the Pistons to rebuild no matter what's the outcome of this season!*

Some people just feel he isn't acting like a Poor Man's D-Wade.

I do know PGs do take a while to develop though.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I doubt it. I'm getting the feeling you are enjoying this a lil' too much. lol.

Myself, on the other hand, I am tired of this meaningless debate. We could go back in forth forever poking holes in eachother's statements and finding contradictions. I get the feeling you would enjoy that. I'm gonna have to pass on that one fella...

I get the feeling that Joe's next hire will follow my line of logic, not yours. He will face alot of scrutiny for this decision if Curry doesn't turn this around, but I guess only time will tell. Until then, let's hope these guys improve and give us some watcheable basketball. I think we can both agree that what we are seeing right now is far from pretty. At this point in the season, the team does not appear to have benefited positively from what Curry supposedly brought to the table.

4. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I'm not going to ramble but the man hasn't even played a full season yet in terms of regular season games. He just got the go-ahead to start and I think we can all say that every game he plays in he is getting better and better in his decision making and distributing skills. I'm not exactly what the stat is, but I do know his assist totals have gone up dramitically and his turnovers have gone down. Give the man some time he's not Chris Paul but then again who is.

5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

um, chris paul... (just messin' exp.):greenapple:

6. MotownPride

Cloudwalker, would you like to rethink your position now? lol.

Seems like the majority agrees with me these days. Hiring a rookie coach with the current talent level was a stupid mistake. Now Joe not only has to find a coach but he has to try to reestablish the defensive and effort based culture that has defined the franchise for the past 7 years.

And folks, it doesn't matter who we trade for if we don't have a coach that knows how to get the best out of his players. Getting the right talent is only a part of the puzzle....

7. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Everyone likes to pile it on Joe for hiring Mr Curry. Who should we have hired instead? Lets be more specific. (a) Who would you have liked to have hired, and (b) would they have been available and agreed to take the job?

I agree that the team has talent. And that ideally, we would have retained the idenitity that made this team great for the last several seasons. The problem?

- A lot of that talent will not be in a Pistons uniform for much longer, or will no longer be part of the core moving forward.
    - A lot of that talent, knowing we are no longer contenders, just can't be assed / or are too far past their primes, to play at the same level as they once did.

I don't care who's coaching, or how much Mr D pays him, those two truths are not going to change.

So bringing in a rookie coach on a cheap contract makes sense. If he proves to be the second coming of Chuck Daly, great. If not, its 1 or 2 seasons and done, and hopefully by then, the core has been replaced, and a more suitable candidate for the head coaching job is available. This was a low risk proposition.

Remember the Knicks experiments with Don Nelson in the 90's, or LB more recently? They were high risk propositions. Curry's hire was almost strictly risk aversion based. And I think an appropriate one given the state of the team.

8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Hungry?

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It takes a lot of guts to make a prediction.

10. MotownPride

I gave my answer earlier in the thread. In my opinion the risk of hiring a coach with no experience is your winning culture. It's hard to place a dollar amount on that.

11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Yep. JD is working through a fog right now.

I am terrible happy he got his degree and you can see Curry's fingerprint all over this creditialism scene.

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Chauncey was not as good as Stuck is right now until his 5th or 6th season in the NBA at the earliest. And Rodney has only played in ~100 or so games, many of which were very limited minutes off the bench. Only the last 35 games has he played a major role in the team.

Still, no young "sophmore" PG out there is going to come on to a team with a ball-dominating Hall of Famer, and a bunch of all-star type vets who won a title together, and truly command a team like Chauncey could. He could do that because he had been through the battles, amd his teammates/coaches had that trust in him. The coaches/players may say they have the trust in Rodney, but it's not at all the same type of confidence.

We won't see what Stuckey is truly capable of until Joe ditches some of the vets (most of which will happen this offseason), and brings in the some hungry young guys without the egos. We saw a sneak preview when Rip or Iverson were out for a bunch of games in December/January, but we can't expect some amazing consistency when Rodney's role is wavering as the vets get theirs.

13. theWORM

Hiring a coach with lots of experience does not guarantee that the team's winning culture would have been maintained...

Exhibit A: Don Nelson succeeds Pat Riley as Coach of the Knicks. His tenure lasted all of 59 regular season games and cost the owner of the team a boatload of mullah.
    PRO BASKETBALL; Knicks Waiting to Dot the I's on Nelson Contract - New York Times

Exhibit B: Rudy T's tenure with the Lakers. We all know how that ended.

What this team needed, first and foremost, is a coach who would let the kids play (even if it was because Joe says so). Curry has delivered in this respect. The FreshPrince in a couple of brilliant posts today, goes one step further, and argues that for Stuckey to grow, some of the vets need to go (or perhaps assume much smaller roles off the bench), which is what will undoubtly happen this summer.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And that is why I can't advocate firing Curry. Once Joe traded CB, our chances this season were officially gone.

MC was handed a rookie PG (basically) and 2 competing veteran SG's. He had no backup SF and plethora of PF's. Sheed is the closest thing we have to a center and he has lost his energy to play like a center. Unfortunately for us, he is also our best and most active 3-point shooter.

With Chauncey, I think we had a really good team, but I can understand why Joe would blow it up.

All of this makes me sypathetic to Curry. If we were behind the Cavs and Celtics, and it was looking like another ECF loss, or maybe just a 2nd round exit, I would say, well that is the hand he was dealt. But even with lowered expectations, MC is under delivering. The young players are getting yanked around with sporadic minutes and mixed messages. The vets are disgruntled. The gameplans are whack. The in-game strategy and adjustments are weak. The end-game managment is embarrassing.

I'm still torn as to whether or not Joe needs to make a change. This season is lost. A change would have to be made if our future years will be affected by an upcoming crisis (losing culture is introduced, a mutiny happens, a core player demands a trade and we have to get less than fair value for them, etc.).

15. MotownPride

It's not about guarantees its about highest probability for success. How often has a coach with zero NBA coaching experience won an NBA championship?

Really? I thought it was to find a coach that put us in the best position to win an NBA Championship. At least that's what Joe communicated. He never flat out said he was rebuilding. If he would have said that, Curry would be pretty devoid of criticism because this would be a throw away year. Curry learns on the job and we play the youth. But that's not what he said is it? Honestly, I believe that if we had the right coach in place the Iverson trade could have meant something special, now all it is a place holder for free agent dollars. BTW, if I knew Curry was the coach I wouldn't be signing up to come to Detroit as a top tier free agent. And let's face it, if you are not coming to Detroit to be on a winning team, you definitely are not coming for the weather... lol.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe tried to go down 2 paths at the same time. He wanted to contend (which is why he bothered getting Dyess back in that deal) and also restructure financially to provide future flexibility. The contend part fell through. He still has the other part.

17. theWORM

And the coach MotownPride would have hired instead of Curry is...(insert drum roll here)?

Championship? Championship?? Championship???