To All the Stuckey Haters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BG*CV*STUCK, Nov 29, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Funny you say that because I remember Stuckey hitting two game winning shots (Philly and Denver) all within the last week or so.

Why single him out for supposedly getting worse as the game drags on when the entire team gets much worse? Not really his fault if other guys aren't hitting shots or making plays. Why not single out Villanueva for his 6 for 17 (35%) jump shooting chuck fest? Or why not single out Maxiell for his inability to execute a simple box out JUST ONCE? Stuckey missed some shots at the end, so naturally he takes all of the blame, even if he was the only reason we were in that game in the first place.

Without Stuckey's early game scoring, the Pistons are never in this game in the first place. You are being overly critical of a guy who has stepped it up in the last couple weeks (IMO).
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks FP for getting up early in the morning to provide these stats. I and sure that 17.6 FGA is probably up above 20 the last six games.. and most of his makes are probably in the first qtr.
  3. LA Dre

I was really focusing on the last two games where we right there at halftime even leading by 10 at New Orleans.

The third quarter is key for the Pistons who are 9-3 when leading after third quarter and a paltry 1-12 when trailing after three.
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well, I guess you can at least say that this team doesn't blow many 4th quarter leads. How many big 4th quarter leads did last year's team blow? My god, if their execution in the 4th wasn't so bad last year, they probably could have won about 50 games last year.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

First, I'm not singling him out. In the last week, I have got on Kwame, Max, CV, the coaching staff, Joe Dumars and Ben. It's just we don't have multiple dedicated threads for them, because they are not the franchise player.

Second, Stuckey deserves the attention he gets. It comes with the territory of playing the most minutes, taking the most shots, scoring the most points, and being the player the lineup is shuffled for (small ball) to accommodate. Hell, Chucky wouldn't even be starting, if it didn't make Stuckey in particular better to do so.

Third, the "all the blame" standard is a bit ridiculous. Even if I haven't been critical all around, it's an impossible standard where we cheer if he does well, but treat him like Will Bynum when he does not. There is no correct amount of criticism, and the volume shouldn't matter anyway. Which brings me to,

Fourth, what matters is if the criticism is valid. It's either true or not. There is no escaping that. Maybe I am wrong, but I am seeing lots of arguments about how bad his teammates are but none to explain why he can score in the first Q with Ben, Max, Chucky and JJ, but he can't do it in the 3rd Q. I'm not seeing any arguments to explain why he drives into double and triple teams instead of kicking it. I can understand not kicking it to Ben but JJ, Chucky, Daye and Summers? All 3 have range, and if Stuckey is drawing the double, the answer is never to drive into it, but to find the open man, even if you have to force people to rotate by making several passes.

Is someone going to argue that teams don't know about Rodney Stuckey until he hangs a dozen on them in the first Q? He's our team's leading scorer. Sure adjustments are made, but that doesn't explain why he is consistently better early than late. Maybe it is the conditioning.

It's the little things that separate the really good ones from the Flip Murrays. I want Stuckey to be Deron Williams, not Tony Delk.

In case no one saw it, KGREG posted Q's comments from last night in the game thread. Echoes what I am saying. Maybe he and I are both wrong, but this is not a particularly controversial position and I don't think because he commented on Stuckey, he believes Stuckey deserves all of the blame.
  6. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

Um... Atkins is starting because Pistons don't have any other healthy guards.. Come on now...
  7. roscoe36

Atkins is starting because he is effective. Bynum could start but there is not enough ball for him and Stuckey to play together.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

There are guys who have only played 25 or so games in the L that do not make some of boneheaded plays that Stuckey does.

I've said it before, but last year there were too many vets and it was unfair to Stuckey and this year there are not enough scorers.
  9. max

max All-Star

Yea that's pretty bad. Both bad and good in that they have at least been hanging onto leads.
  10. LA Dre

I concur.....with the two of them out there initially..no one else was getting a chance to touch the ball...but Bynum has seen the light here lately, especially when he was hobbling and he stopped forcing shots and has been finding the open man.
  11. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

You know what KREG I really dont like him as a player(almost all of you know's that) but you know after watching him play I am going to agree he can be a productive guy, not a go to guy though, and HE IS NOT A PG THATS IT...
  12. LA Dre

They are also only 8-6 when leading at the half, so if you break that down, that means 14 times this season, we have had a halftime lead and still have only managed to win only 11 games.. Also we are 2-9 when trailing at the half, so you can pretty much say that with the cast currently on the floor if we are trailing at the half, it will probably be a loss.....:yellowprison:
  13. max

max All-Star

One could see Stats that way. I sometimes think that if it's too skewed one way then it's due to balance out.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, Bynum created some nice plays for his teammates last night, which was nice to see. He still eats too much of the shot clock with his dribble though.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the criticism when he doesn't play well or come through. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like people only point out the negatives in his game, without also addressing the things he does well.

And one thing I will point out, is that the defenses definitely tighten up at the end of games compared to how they are playing early on. Especially mediocre-bad teams like OKC. You'll see a noticeable change in their defensive intensity in the fourth quarter when they need to get a stop, whereas only the truly elite defensive teams (Boston, LA, Spurs in years past) maintain that defensive intensity throughout the game. So maybe that explains, at least partially, of why Stuckey is able to get off to hot starts, but struggles more down the stretch of games (though he has had some good games in the 4th quarter this year - people tend to forget those). Great players can still be effective against great defenses, but Stuckey is not quite there yet... especially without most of his offensive weapons.

Just my opinion anyway.
  16. roscoe36

People or me? I can only be responsible for my own actions.

Now that is a reasonable theory. Thank you.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Oh, not you. Just people in general.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A few more stats on Stuck and Bynum:

Stuckey has 20 offensive fouls this year.
    The next highest on the team is Maxiell with 8.
    Bynum has 3.

Stuckey and Will Bynum have almost an identical passing mix, in that they get their assists in similar ways. It turns out that about 25% of their assists are to 3-point shooters, 32% are to 2-point jump shooters, 30% are to players in the paint (excluding dunks), and 13% are for dunks. This mix is also very similar to Chris Paul and a lot of other PG's out there. CP is 25% threes, 35% jumpers, 25% in the paint, and 15% dunks.

When watching games, it is fairly obvious that the Pistons' guards tend to get stuck with the ball late in the shock clock, where they are then forced to take difficult shots. With 21+ seconds ticked off the shot clock, Stuckey is shooting and eFG of .375 and Bynum is shooting .472. D. Wade is at .431 for comparison.
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I would guess I've seen 30-40 different posts this year mention how often Rodney gets "packed" at the rim... Here's a stat.

% of "Close Shots" blocked:
    Stuckey - 15%
    Gordon - 23%
    Bynum - 20%
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Gordon gets stuffed 1/4 of his drives?... woah.